28c3: The coming war on general computation
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 28, 2011
Download hiqh quality version: http://bit.ly/sTTFyt
Cory Doctorow: The coming war on general computation
The copyright war was just the beginning
The last 20 years of Internet policy have been dominated by the copyright war, but the war turns out only to have been a skirmish. The coming century will be dominated by war against the general purpose computer, and the stakes are the freedom, fortune and privacy of the entire human race.
The problem is twofold: first, there is no known general-purpose computer that can execute all the programs we can think of except the naughty ones; second, general-purpose computers have replaced every other device in our world. There are no airplanes, only computers that fly. There are no cars, only computers we sit in. There are no hearing aids, only computers we put in our ears. There are no 3D printers, only computers that drive peripherals. There are no radios, only computers with fast ADCs and DACs and phased-array antennas. Consequently anything you do to "secure" anything with a computer in it ends up undermining the capabilities and security of every other corner of modern human society.
And general purpose computers can cause harm -- whether it's printing out AR15 components, causing mid-air collisions, or snarling traffic. So the number of parties with legitimate grievances against computers are going to continue to multiply, as will the cries to regulate PCs.
The primary regulatory impulse is to use combinations of code-signing and other "trust" mechanisms to create computers that run programs that users can't inspect or terminate, that run without users' consent or knowledge, and that run even when users don't want them to.
The upshot: a world of ubiquitous malware, where everything we do to make things better only makes it worse, where the tools of liberation become tools of oppression.
Our duty and challenge is to devise systems for mitigating the harm of general purpose computing without recourse to spyware, first to keep ourselves safe, and second to keep computers safe from the regulatory impulse.
Transcript: https://github.com/jwise/28c3-doctoro... (CC-BY by Joshua Wise)
SRT file with detailed timings (created automatically by YouTube) https://gist.github.com/3193854
- 5:38 SILENCED NIGHTHAWK 1911by FPSRussia Featured 5,226,658
- 2:08:10 Der Staatstrojaner - Aus Sicht der Technik [28C3]by CCCdeVideos23,674 views
- 3:49 How Much Gold is in CPU?by GoldCharts28,731 views
- 1:35:46 How Copyright Threatens Democracyby NewAmericaFoundation10,472 views
- 16:09 Feminism and the Disposable Maleby karen straughan804,937 views
- 1:25:40 28c3: How governments have tried to block Torby 28c358,036 views
- 1:04:54 28c3: Die Koalition setzt sich aber aktiv und ernsthaft dafür einby 28c334,626 views
- 8:12 Strange Computer Code Discovered Concealed In Superstring Equations!by Johanan Raatz400,066 views
- 1:10:23 Cory Doctorow: "The Coming Civil War over General-purpose Computing", Talks at Googleby Talks at Google56,510 views
- 1:47 Tagesschau über den 28C3by ScottyTM11,854 views
- 55:00 Cory Doctorow on Why it's a Bad Idea to Regulate Computersby tvochannel4,137 views
- 45:08 Cory Doctorow on Singularity 1 on 1: The Singularity As A Progressive Apocalypseby Nikola Danaylov4,201 views
- 1:03:37 28c3: Print Me If You Dareby 28c335,000 views
- 1:06:31 KinectFusion - Real-time 3D Reconstruction and Interaction Using a Moving Depth Camera [28C3]by CCCen25,744 views
- 8:21 TEDxCaltech - Tony Hey - Feynman and Computationby TEDxTalks30,783 views
- 1:04:37 28c3: Can trains be hacked? (german)by 28c320,379 views
- 56:59 Authors@Google: Cory Doctorowby Talks at Google42,982 views
- 59:23 28c3: The Science of Insecurityby 28c322,638 views
- 44:48 Cory Doctorow - The Politics of Copyright and the New Cultural Economyby Roger Levy1,257 views
- 1:00:53 28c3: Keynote - Marriage from Hellby 28c311,615 views
- Loading more suggestions...