28c3: The coming war on general computation
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 28, 2011
Download hiqh quality version: http://bit.ly/sTTFyt
Cory Doctorow: The coming war on general computation
The copyright war was just the beginning
The last 20 years of Internet policy have been dominated by the copyright war, but the war turns out only to have been a skirmish. The coming century will be dominated by war against the general purpose computer, and the stakes are the freedom, fortune and privacy of the entire human race.
The problem is twofold: first, there is no known general-purpose computer that can execute all the programs we can think of except the naughty ones; second, general-purpose computers have replaced every other device in our world. There are no airplanes, only computers that fly. There are no cars, only computers we sit in. There are no hearing aids, only computers we put in our ears. There are no 3D printers, only computers that drive peripherals. There are no radios, only computers with fast ADCs and DACs and phased-array antennas. Consequently anything you do to "secure" anything with a computer in it ends up undermining the capabilities and security of every other corner of modern human society.
And general purpose computers can cause harm -- whether it's printing out AR15 components, causing mid-air collisions, or snarling traffic. So the number of parties with legitimate grievances against computers are going to continue to multiply, as will the cries to regulate PCs.
The primary regulatory impulse is to use combinations of code-signing and other "trust" mechanisms to create computers that run programs that users can't inspect or terminate, that run without users' consent or knowledge, and that run even when users don't want them to.
The upshot: a world of ubiquitous malware, where everything we do to make things better only makes it worse, where the tools of liberation become tools of oppression.
Our duty and challenge is to devise systems for mitigating the harm of general purpose computing without recourse to spyware, first to keep ourselves safe, and second to keep computers safe from the regulatory impulse.
Transcript: https://github.com/jwise/28c3-doctoro... (CC-BY by Joshua Wise)
SRT file with detailed timings (created automatically by YouTube) https://gist.github.com/3193854
- 40:18 Cory Doctorow Q and A on computer regulationby TVOFeatured 1,525
- 1:35:46 How Copyright Threatens Democracyby New America Foundation 9,797 views
- 1:00:19 Cory Doctorow talk on Homeland.by Kevin Loughin 7,336 views
- 1:25:40 28c3: How governments have tried to block Torby 28c3 55,756 views
- 1:23:23 [27C3] (de) Fnord-Jahresrückblick 2010by kkkwwwaaakkk 9,453 views
- 59:23 28c3: The Science of Insecurityby 28c3 21,297 views
- 54:35 Cory Doctorow: The coming war on general computation [28C3]by CCCen 36,740 views
- 1:04:54 28c3: Die Koalition setzt sich aber aktiv und ernsthaft dafür einby 28c3 33,400 views
- 51:57 Reverse Engineering the MOS 6502 CPU [27C3]by CCCen 22,396 views
- 1:06:31 KinectFusion - Real-time 3D Reconstruction and Interaction Using a Moving Depth Camera [28C3]by CCCen 19,978 views
- 30:55 How to build a computer with EasyPCbuilder! 2013 edition - Gaming PCby EasyPCbuilder 6,034 views
- 1:15:32 28c3: Fnord-Jahresrückblick (GEMA-free Remix)by 28c3 17,575 views
- 18:13 Cory Doctorow on Why Copyright is Worth Fighting Aboutby AgendaStevePaikin 5,558 views
- 45:08 Cory Doctorow on Singularity 1 on 1: The Singularity As A Progressive Apocalypseby Nikola Danaylov 3,687 views
- 2:08:10 Der Staatstrojaner - Aus Sicht der Technik [28C3]by CCCdeVideos 18,604 views
- 44:48 Cory Doctorow - The Politics of Copyright and the New Cultural Economyby Roger Levy 1,086 views
- 1:33:14 28c3: Security Nightmares (german)by 28c3 14,437 views
- 26:50 Cory Doctorow | Carpoolby carpoolUK 16,223 views
- 1:58:35 28c3: Jahresrückblick 2011by 28c3 9,608 views
- 1:02:36 28c3: Bitcoin - An Analysisby 28c3 5,612 views
- Loading more suggestions...