Jacob Appelbaum (Part 1/2) Digital Anti-Repression Workshop - April 26 2012
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 27, 2012
Filmed April 26, 2012, 12pm. Q & A workshop with Jacob Appelbaum, computer security researcher, on mobile phone security, cellphone forensics, state repression and surveillance.
1:05 jake appelbaum introduction to the surveillance state.
5:00 metadata, data collection, linkability
10:40 national security letter (nsl)
14:25 2703d metadata notice 18 USC § 2703(d)
16:50 audience poll on cellphones and tracking
17:40 cellphone forensics, cellebrite device
20:30 bill binney nsa, linkability, traffic analysis
25:00 controlling the narrative
25:20 stylometry, anonymouth
28:35 traffic analysis
29:20 question on cellphone tampering
30:30 gov't backdoors, US v. Jones (2012), gps tracking
33:50 question on cellphone malware, defending against passive attacks. threat models beat cop vs. nsa
35:10 nsa electromagnetic tempest attack.
40:10 question on nypd, dhs, fbi, and nsa sigint capabilities
42:00 gnu radio, imsi catcher
44:38 broken window theory, resistance and activism
49:45 question on advocacy, rules, demands. answered with church committee, accountability, ron wyden commission, no secret laws, no warrantless wiretapping, no promotion of insecure systems allowing wiretapping, and story of
51:25 killing the son of anwar al-awlaki, due process vs. judicial process.
56:00 question on basic do's and don'ts, practical tips. rubberhose firesystem, truecrypt, usefulness/practicality of deniability passphrases, transparency.
1:02:20 question of deniability, guilty until proven innocent.
1:04:15 mutually assured information destruction (maid)
1:05:00 getting around crytography, powerline analysis attacks
1:07:10 building alternatives to commercial software and hardware. open software, open hardware, imsi catcher catcher.
1:11:40 calyx privacy-by-design isp.
1:12:55 tor network
1:16:20 tails debian
Part 1/2 highlights the "theoretical" side of things
Part 2/2 emphasizes the practical.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:28:09 Jacob Appelbaum (Part 2/2) Digital Anti-Repression Workshop - April 26 2012by NewYorkRawVideos8,961 views
- 1:17:43 Keynote - Jacob Appelbaumby linuxconfau201218,978 views
- 56:11 Jacob Appelbaum 29C3 Keynote: Not My Departmentby thisdayinwikileaks56,760 views
- 55:46 re:publica 2012 - Appelbaum & Kleiner - Resisting the Surveillance State and its network effectsby re:publica9,454 views
- 25:39 Jacob Appelbaum on privacy, government surveillance and the current state of democracyby yasssunews12,021 views
- 2:05:42 Jacob Appelbaum - Surveillance and Privacyby HasGeek TV7,362 views
- 15:54 Targeted Hacker Jacob Appelbaum on CISPA, Surveillance & the "Militarization of Cyberspace"by democracynow11,334 views
- 69 videos Play all Linux, programming, and operating system talks.by commanderbige
- 9:27 Jacob Appelbaum: TOR Project, Fight for Anonymityby TheAlyonaShow31,882 views
- 18:35 The Tor Project, protecting online anonimity: Jacob Appelbaum at TEDxFlandersby TEDxTalks23,475 views
- 6:07 EXCLUSIVE: Jacob Appelbaum (Wikileaks/Tor) on SOPAby Kenji Wardenclyffe9,093 views
- 1:59:16 Julian Assange Interviews Cypherpunk Activists (Uncut) 2 of 2 on 'The World Tomorrow'by Zubenelgenubiii1,720 views
- 1:03:10 Laura Poitras - Surveillance Teach-In - Full Lectureby EducateKnowledge3,578 views
- 1:27:34 NSA whistleblower William Binney Keynote at HOPE Number Nineby ConspiracyScope17,040 views
- 15:31 Jacob Appelbaum (@ioerror) on US Government Surveillanceby Michael Hopper
- 1:10:00 29c3: Not my department (Jacob 'ioerror' Appelbaum) [Keynote]by kkkwwwaaakkk16,387 views
- 1:30:53 Fnord-Jahresrückblick 2012 (29c3 - CCC Chaos Communication Congress)by basti00072,925 views
- 23:02 Jacob Appelbaum - You broke the Internet. We're making ourselves a GNU one.by zerwas2ky1,760 views
- 1:50:12 Jacob Appelbaum at University of Luxembourg talking about Tor anonymity network and censorshipby CIRCLLuxembourg3,073 views
- 1:25:40 How governments have tried to block Tor [28C3]by CCCen90,243 views