Jacob Appelbaum (Part 1/2) Digital Anti-Repression Workshop - April 26 2012
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 27, 2012
Filmed April 26, 2012, 12pm. Q & A workshop with Jacob Appelbaum, computer security researcher, on mobile phone security, cellphone forensics, state repression and surveillance.
1:05 jake appelbaum introduction to the surveillance state.
5:00 metadata, data collection, linkability
10:40 national security letter (nsl)
14:25 2703d metadata notice 18 USC § 2703(d)
16:50 audience poll on cellphones and tracking
17:40 cellphone forensics, cellebrite device
20:30 bill binney nsa, linkability, traffic analysis
25:00 controlling the narrative
25:20 stylometry, anonymouth
28:35 traffic analysis
29:20 question on cellphone tampering
30:30 gov't backdoors, US v. Jones (2012), gps tracking
33:50 question on cellphone malware, defending against passive attacks. threat models beat cop vs. nsa
35:10 nsa electromagnetic tempest attack.
40:10 question on nypd, dhs, fbi, and nsa sigint capabilities
42:00 gnu radio, imsi catcher
44:38 broken window theory, resistance and activism
49:45 question on advocacy, rules, demands. answered with church committee, accountability, ron wyden commission, no secret laws, no warrantless wiretapping, no promotion of insecure systems allowing wiretapping, and story of
51:25 killing the son of anwar al-awlaki, due process vs. judicial process.
56:00 question on basic do's and don'ts, practical tips. rubberhose firesystem, truecrypt, usefulness/practicality of deniability passphrases, transparency.
1:02:20 question of deniability, guilty until proven innocent.
1:04:15 mutually assured information destruction (maid)
1:05:00 getting around crytography, powerline analysis attacks
1:07:10 building alternatives to commercial software and hardware. open software, open hardware, imsi catcher catcher.
1:11:40 calyx privacy-by-design isp.
1:12:55 tor network
1:16:20 tails debian
Part 1/2 highlights the "theoretical" side of things
Part 2/2 emphasizes the practical.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:28:09 Jacob Appelbaum (Part 2/2) Digital Anti-Repression Workshop - April 26 2012by NewYorkRawVideosFeatured 6,289
- 35:02 SHARE Talk Jacob Appelbaum TOR Projectby TheEthanwashere 1,225 views
- 6:49 $1 Trillion Student Loan Debt Day April 25 2012 NYC 1tday Occupy Student Debt Campaignby NewYorkRawVideos 1,057 views
- 1:27:34 NSA whistleblower William Binney Keynote at HOPE Number Nineby ConspiracyScope 8,114 views
- 1:00:33 Jacob Appelbaum TERENA Networking Conference 2012by TheEthanwashere 1,353 views
- 14:00 Laura Poitras: Surveillance Teach-In with Jacob Appelbaum & Bill Binney Part 1by Alexa O'Brien 1,923 views
- 41 videos Play all Anonymity, Tor, and the likeby commanderbige
- 1:33:36 SEC-T 2009 - Smartcard attacks and magstripe madness - Jacob Appelbaumby SECTDirector 390 views
- 1:59:16 Julian Assange Interviews Cypherpunk Activists (Uncut) 2 of 2 on 'The World Tomorrow'by Zubenelgenubiii 913 views
- 57:40 Eben Moglen speaking at HOPE Number 9 in NYC about Walled Gardens and the First Law of Roboticsby Ben Solwitz 3,092 views
- 18:36 Laura Poitras: Surveillance Teach-In with Jacob Appelbaum & Bill Binney Part 2by Alexa O'Brien 934 views
- 49:01 DEFCON 19: Battery Firmware Hackingby Christiaan008 14,967 views
- 26:22 The Julian Assange Show: Cypherpunks, Part 1 (E8, p.1)by RussiaToday 61,219 views
- 52:02 22C3: Personal experiences bringing technology and new media to disaster areasby Christiaan008 644 views
- 2:03 16 May 2013 Fireworks Over the East River Pier 36 - TV execs schmoozing ad execs for TV $$by NewYorkRawVideos 42 views
- 1:17:43 Keynote - Jacob Appelbaumby linuxconfau2012 16,063 views
- 9:12 #WOTI War On The Internet conf. Melbourne Trades Hall 21.1.12 10 mins with @ioerrorby tony serve 4,322 views
- 30:37 Anonymous re:publica 12 (Stage 2, SPON, CCC, Jacob Appelbaum) [english] 1/2by AnonNews DE 1,663 views
- 8:18 Jacob Appelbaum at the Big Brother Award 2012by Ben Frank 454 views
- 1:03:10 Laura Poitras: Surveillance Teach-Inby WhitneyFocus 3,397 views
- 1:06:11 Black Ops of TCP/IP 2011, a cleanup of the BH USA talk. [28C3]by CCCen 3,490 views
- Loading more suggestions...