POLICING FOR PROFIT: Feds try to take innocent elderly couple's Mom-and-Pop motel
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 31, 2012
UPDATE: The Caswell's won the case! http://www.ij.org/massachusetts-civil...
The most contentious civil forfeiture fight in the nation will be the subject of a week-long trial starting Monday, November 5, 2012, in Boston. Throughout the week, the Institute for Justice, which represents the property owners in the case, will expose the ugly practice of civil forfeiture—where law enforcement agencies can pad their budgets by taking property from innocent owners who have never been convicted or even charged with a crime.
The trial will start at 10 a.m. at the John Joseph Moakley U.S. Courthouse, 1 Courthouse Way in Boston. The case of Tewksbury, Mass., motel owner Russ Caswell and his wife will be presided over by Magistrate Judge Judith G. Dein in Courtroom 15. At the heart of the trial will be the protections afforded innocent owners, like the Caswells, when faced with the loss of their property.
All Russ and his wife want is to peacefully operate their motel. But because their property was worth one million dollars and carried no mortgage, and because a handful of drug crimes had taken place on the property over 20 years (which represent less than .05 percent of the 125,000 rooms the Caswells rented over that period of time), the federal government is trying to take the Caswell's property through civil forfeiture, sell the land and keep the money. Under a process known as "equitable sharing," the federal government would keep 20 percent of what they net and the local police department would pocket 80 percent. Russ and his wife stand to lose everything they worked their lives to build.
"The Caswell case epitomizes everything that is wrong with our nation's civil forfeiture laws," said Scott Bullock, senior attorney at the Institute for Justice. "People who are never even charged let alone convicted of criminal wrongdoing can face the loss of their homes, cars, cash, or, like with the Caswells, their entire business and livelihood."
"This outrageous forfeiture action should never have been filed in the first place," said Larry Salzman, an IJ attorney. "What the government is doing amounts to little more than a grab for what they saw as quick cash under the guise of civil forfeiture. Our goal in this case is to not only spotlight the inevitable abuse that transpires when law enforcement agencies are allowed to use civil forfeiture, but to set a precedent that will end this nightmare for the Caswells and stop an abuse of power that has ruined the lives of too many innocent Americans."
Russ said, "I think it is quite obvious why the federal government has come after us and not other businesses. We own a million-dollar property with no mortgage, so anything they get here, they get to keep for themselves. This case took a huge financial toll on our family before the Institute for Justice stepped up to defend us. And it continues to put a huge personal strain on both me and my wife. At this point in our lives, we should be thinking about our retirement. Instead, we have to take on this fight to save our business and make sure that it won't happen again to the next generation that comes along."
Standard YouTube License
- 27:21 the tyranny of female hypoagencyby karen straughan Featured 86,068
- 5:01 Should You Need the Government's Permission to Work?by InstituteForJustice110,792 views
- 2:43 If a Police Dog "Alerts," Should You Lose Your Cash, Car and Other Property?by InstituteForJustice16,645 views
- 3:34 Federal & Local Law Enforcement Agencies Try to Take Family Motel from Innocent Ownersby InstituteForJustice61,478 views
- 3:59 IRS Protectionism: New Licensing Scheme Challenged in Major Federal Lawsuitby InstituteForJustice143,297 views
- 43:55 NewsChannel 5 Investigates: Policing For Profitby NC5PhilWilliams4,886 views
- 22:36 Ex-FBI Agent Reveals What to Do If The Police Get in Your Faceby TheAlexJonesChannel223,856 views
- 3:10 Speech that got Breitbart assassinated by Obama (NDAA)by iwillspyonyou611,166 views
- 4:18 Exposed: Your Right that Cops want Secret - Moneyby UtahOpenCarry226,713 views
- 2:14 Civil Rights Suit Against State Troopers for Police Misconduct During Routine Traffic Stopby Susan Chana Lask216,992 views
- 51:52 Reflections on the Loss of Liberty | Andrew P. Napolitanoby misesmedia37,157 views
- 0:45 Libertarian Barbie, wonder if she comes a don't tread on me flag?by 283185114,197 views
- 20:41 The Complete and Undeniable Truth - Larken Roseby Liberty Evolution73,980 views
- 32:14 We are Preparing for Massive Civil War, Says DHS Informantby TheLipperTube2,804,157 views
- 14:46 Thomas Sowell - Obama Going Forwardby LibertyPen36,013 views
- 6:50 Policing for Profit in Tennessee (Cops Robbing Citizens)by Scucci Tedescucci3,226 views
- 2:54 Common Misconceptions About Libertarians *FUNNY*by Julie Borowski62,089 views
- 3:52 Chris Rock - How not to get your ass kicked by the police!by InsaneNutter10,303,823 views
- 9:32 Police Confront Man for Open Carrying Firearm Legallyby rurkoe2,151,623 views
- 39:26 Obama's Social Security Number Tied To An Alias Harrison J Bounel - 5/18/11by BirtherReportDotCom881,838 views
- Loading more suggestions...