How to Overcome Any Fear
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 31, 2008
See what you can learn on the go with the new Howcast App for iPhone and iPad: http://bit.ly/11ZmFOu
Watch more Self-Help & Improvement videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/390-Sel...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://bit.ly/uLaHRS
Whether it's heights, flying, or public speaking, a profound fear can compromise the quality of your life. Don't live with yours another minute.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://bit.ly/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Dance & Entertainment Channel - http://bit.ly/vmB86i
Howcast Family Channel - http://bit.ly/16dz9oH
Howcast Food & Drink Channel - http://bit.ly/umBoJX
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://bit.ly/vbbNt3
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://bit.ly/vKjUjm
Howcast Tech Channel - http://bit.ly/rx9FwR
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://bit.ly/tYKKrk
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Step 1: Write it out
Write down exactly what you're afraid of and why. Research shows that putting your fears in writing can be empowering, giving you more confidence and helping you realize that some things you're worried about are plain ridiculous.
Step 2: Have a mantra
Pick an encouraging mantra like ''I can handle this' or 'Nothing can harm me,' and repeat it in your head whenever you have to do something that scares you. Psychologists say this instills courage.
Step 3: Make a fist
The next time you have to do something scary, make a fist, hold it for 10 seconds, then release. Sounds silly, but this reduces fear by relaxing muscle tension.
Step 4: Eat more turkey
Eat more turkey, cheese, and nuts. They all contain tryptophan, an amino acid that helps people feel less anxious.
Drink a big glass of orange juice before you have to face any fear. Vitamin C lowers stress hormones in as little as 15 minutes!
Step 5: Use soothing oils
Use soothing essential oils. Available in health food stores, they have been used to battle stage fright, face frightening medical procedures, and deal with trauma. According to the directions, put a few drops on your wrist or under your tongue until you feel calmer.
Step 6: Face your fear
Face your fear—again and again and again. Research shows that repeatedly confronting your fear can suppress your fright response. In fact, experts say up to 90% of phobics can overcome a specific fear with this technique, known as 'exposure therapy.'
Step 7: Ask your doctor
Ask your doctor about medications that have shown promise in reducing fear when a person is faced with the scary situation.
Did You Know?
Kids are terrified by clowns. A poll conducted by an English university found that all 250 patients in a pediatric ward were afraid of clowns, a condition known as coulrophobia.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:22 How to Sneak into Your House After Curfewby Howcast Featured 554,600
- 1:51 How to Fake Being Sickby Howcast1,349,794 views
- 2:50 How to Wake Up Early When You Absolutely Have Toby Howcast1,169,470 views
- 2:14 How to Act If You're Stopped by the Policeby Howcast1,547,701 views
- Philip Neimark 99 videos651
- 2:03 How to Make Homework Less Workby Howcast1,144,858 views
- 53:38 How to Bake and Decorate a Cakeby MonkeySee3,678,289 views
- 14:54 Snowboard Balance Bar tutorial - improve your park shredding - Snowboard Addictionby Snowboard Addiction169,781 views
- 12:36 Scarlett Opens Presents for Her 6th Birthdayby Mark Borrelli4,564,096 views
- 58 videos Play all Free Amazing Biz, Amazing Life training videosby GoddessLeonie
- 5:42 Secret to Overcoming Fearby Dr. Michael J. Duckett193,517 views
- 13:39 Guided Meditation - Loving Kindness.wmvby 1GautamaBuddha45,252 views
- 2:02 Quick and Easy Panic and Anxiety Relief Techniqueby Val Silver175,788 views
- 1:47 How to Make a Dissolving Bikini as a Prankby Howcast7,131,231 views
- 1:09 How to Whistle with Your Fingersby Howcast3,143,193 views
- 1:46 How to Get Paid to Play Video Gamesby Howcast984,910 views
- 2:49 How to Tell if Your Girlfriend's a Psychoby Howcast1,111,085 views
- 1:43 How to Pass the Test When You Haven't Read the Bookby Howcast876,703 views
- 6:48 The movie FULL CONFIDENCE: How to overcome fear? Veronica de Andres2/3by Confianza Total33,752 views
- 2:23 How to Remember What You Readby Howcast708,966 views