Public Libraries, 3D Printing, FabLabs and Hackerspaces
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 25, 2011
We want to see 3D printing, FabLabs and Hackerspaces become a regular feature--in addition to its other services--at every public library in the country. This is a description of our proposal to create a FabLab in the Fayetteville Free Library and gives a brief introduction to what 3D printing is and how revolutionary it will be for those who are unfamiliar with it.
A FabLab is a fabrication laboratory (or a fabulous laboratory). A hackerspace is just a public library under a different name (although I'm not aware of any hackerspaces that are publicly funded, its time to change that!), it is a place where people gather to share their knowledge and help each other make whatever project they are currently working on.
This video was made in support of Lauren Britton-Smedley's proposal to create a pilot FabLab at the Fayetteville Free Library. This is Lauren's final project for the "Innovation in Public Libraries" class taught by Meg Backus and Thomas Gokey. In this class we look at avant-garde art from the past 60 years (social sculpture, relational aesthetics, institutional critique, interventionist practice, hacker/maker/DIY culture) and use it as a way to rethink what the library of the 21st century could be. We remain committed to the essence of a public library as a genuine commons, as a university of the people, as a place where the knowledge of past generations is preserved for present and future research, in short: as a democracy machine. Our class asks how to translate this essence of public libraries into our current situation. The class is, in some respects, run as a studio where each student proposes and then actually creates a project like this one.
Other students are working on organizing CSA drop offs through the public library network (http://www.nopl.org/adults/csa), creating a habitat garden at the LibraryFarm (http://www.nopl.org/library-farm), redesigning the bus schedules for our local public transit (badly needed), making a library's piano available to the public, and creating a self-watering, self-tweeting network of cacti with an Arduino (so that you don't over-water your cactus).
- 6:38 Printing Large Objects on 3D Printer without Warpingby JMEMantzelFeatured 68,622
- 2:26 First flight of 3D printed planeby newscientistvideo 366,185 views
- 1:36 Full Scale 3D Printed Motorcycle from Inventorby Scott Sheppard 418,409 views
- 9:45 Lots of 3-D Printers at Maker Faire 2012!by SquiggleMom's channel 68,666 views
- 16:34 Build a 3D Printer That You Can Take Anywhere!by The Ben Heck Show 135,977 views
- 6:41 Rapid Prototype Manufacturing Using DigitalWax Systems.movby RioGrande1944 221,360 views
- 4:46 Bioprintingby ExplainingTheFuture 146,974 views
- 5:00 3D printing 'bigger than internet'by Financial Times 53,103 views
- 52 videos Play all - 3D Printing -by Xphearous
- 4:39 3D Printshow London 2012by ExplainingTheFuture 574,505 views
- 15:02 How A 3D Printer Worksby Garen Phillips 98,162 views
- 52:48 EEVblog #318 - Makerbot Replicator 3D Printer Unboxing & Reviewby Electronics Engineering Video Blog 94,073 views
- 17:43 The future of 3D printingby CNET 60,824 views
- 9:58 3D Printing - PolyJet - Additive Technologiesby AdditiveTechnologies's channel 88,525 views
- 18:04 Neil Gershenfeld: The beckoning promise of personal fabricationby TEDtalksDirector 42,363 views
- 4:01 3D Printer Makes Nearly Anythingby PigMine3 96,342 views
- 3D printing 17,023 videos465
- 4:27 Amazing 3D Printerby FunTheoryVideos 2,552,558 views
- 2:58 The Big 3D Print - Grass Roots Engineeringby GrassRootsEng's channel 330,531 views
- 11:49 FAB Lab Tourby Century College MN 4,125 views
- 0:29 Digital Forming: 3D Printed Stradivarius by EOSby Digital Forming 35,400 views
- 6:12 The 3D Printing Revolutionby ExplainingTheFuture 582,687 views
- Loading more suggestions...