BMW M1: Iconic supercar driven - XCAR
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 12, 2012
http://www.facebook.com/xcarofficial BMW only ever made one proper supercar: The M1. It's a slice of rare automotive legend and one that we have a deeper look at. Caution: features porno music and velvet.
When you think of 70's supercars you tend to think of Lamborghinis and Ferraris - big, wedgy things that make a lovely noise and go very quickly indeed. You don't tend to think of BMW, do you?
We can't blame you for that. It's a brand that isn't really synonymous with supercars. Fast saloons, yes, but a supercar? Well, in the late 70's BMW did indeed produce a supercar, the M1. Very few were made and its development is fraught with delays, financial troubles and moving goal posts.
It's such a shame that the M1 didn't do as well as it could and should have. It lasted from 1978 -- 1981, not a huge amount of time in anyone's book, and while it was around it was supposed to have been racing its little socks off on the track. Instead, BMW was trying to sell enough of them in order to qualify to enter the races thanks to a rule change at the last minute that meant a certain number of cars had to be sold before they could race.
It was also supposed to be around a lot sooner than it was. A deal made with Lamborghini to produce the car went more sour than a pint of double cream left in a kiln and BMW very nearly ended up without a car at all.
It's a wonderful thing, though. The big, red monster we had created such a presence wherever it went that even though driving with the windows open was a necessity (no air con, naturally, and heat leaking into the cabin caused me to sweat so much I lost 2lbs) the heckles, shouts and endless "Which Ferrari's that, mate?" didn't half drive me mad.
Driving it in the countryside was good fun, though its width and, erm, older controls made passing trucks, busses and the like a bit of a nightmare. Driving it in town, however, was a different experience. Tight London side roads and suicyclists make driving a behemoth such as the M1 a dicier proposition than it would have been when it was new.
Even though it was giant, unknown and difficult to pilot the BMW M1 was truly special. It was a car that so few know about yet its fans utterly adore (we met a guy while shooting who went weak at the knees when he saw it), it's a very special beast. If you see one, just remember this: It's not a Ferrari...
Standard YouTube License
- 30:01 Večernja Škola S01E04 - Ovisnostby MrSilver258 Featured 87,687
- 5:59 BMW M3: E30 and E92 GTS - XCARby XCARFilms60,888 views
- 5:11 Audi RS4: The Best RS Yet? - XCARby XCARFilms34,800 views
- 2:00 McLaren P1 - Paris Motor Show 2012 - XCARby XCARFilms3,141 views
- 7:36 Time Attack, Battle Evome - XCARby XCARFilms98,168 views
- BMW M1 2,761 videos40
- 6:16 BMW M1 ProCar - Onboard, Flames, Accelerations - FANTASTIC SOUND!by tomedelic146,267 views
- 14:08 Supercar Fail Compilation 2013 Part 2by TheSupercarWinFail1,121,326 views
- 9:55 AH-Racing BMW M1 Inboard Nordschleifeby motorsportvideo16,800 views
- 9:36 SUPER CAR SUNDAY PART 2(FERRARI,PORSCHE,NSX,GTR,BMW,MASERATI,by Peter Wu83,834 views
- 14:51 F1 Making Of: Red Bull RB7 Flat Out in New Jersey - /SHAKEDOWNby /DRIVE429,325 views
- 40:20 BMW X5 (F15) 2014 50i - ЖермесАвто. Эпизод 1 - Большой тест-драйвby Большой тест-драйв104,047 views
- 29:24 Boxster S vs Elise vs S2000 Touge Test & Track Battle - Best Motoring Internationalby GTChannel631,651 views
- 14:26 Amazing BMW M1 & Porsche 935 Ferrari 712 at the Spa Classic - CER Classic Endurance Racingby MPZRACEVIDEO67,704 views
- 10:23 BMW 1 Series M Coupe vs BMW M3by MotorTrend1,347,983 views
- 14:33 March BMW M1 in Hockenheimby motorsportvideo8,463 views
- 1:26 BMW MT58 CONCEPT CARby Maher Thebian8,709 views
- 4:55 ROCKET BUNNY BEE RACING SUBARU BRZby Adam Zillin103,650 views
- 5:27 BMW M1 Procar Onboard HD Videoby Drivedata303,703 views
- 17:37 BMW M1 Turbo Inboard Nurburgringby motorsportvideo61,970 views