This video is unavailable.
Demo: Traditional Chinese Ocarina Wudu + VCD by Bi Yin Shen
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 14, 2008
Sorry for the typing mistake ~~ the title on the video should be "Wudu Demo" instead of "Bawu Demo".
This wudu 嗚嘟 and VCD is now available. Now playing 梅花落 by the wudu maker Mr. Bi yin-sheng 畢寅生.. Please visit our site for more interesting Chinese musical instruments.
Wudu -- Chinese clay ocarina
In ancient China, Chu Kingdom (now in Hubei and Hunan provinces) was a state famous for its musical instruments. According to the materials from which they were made, Chinese ancient musical instruments were put into eight different categories-- metal, rock, clay, leather, silk, wood, gourd and bamboo. They were called the eight musical sounds. Wudu belongs to the category of clay, and it was developed from the clay whistle, the earliest musical instrument in China.
The History of Wudu
In 476 BC, the Spring and Autumn Period in Chinese history, there was a piece of poetry called "Xiao Ya Good Fish in the South" which was collected in the Book of Songs, the collection of earliest Chinese poetries. The story was that the emperor made an inspection to the South by sea, a river fish jumped out of the water, so he had it cooked, and after eating the fish, he praised it as "good fish". So that place was called Jia Yu County (meaning "good fish"). And the "clay whistle" that was handed down from ancient times here is also in the shape of fish. It is said that its shape is from folk totem, with the meaning of thanksgiving. According to "the annals of Jia Yu County", it can be found that the clay wudu, called "Wudu" in ancient times, was invented by shepherd boys of Pai Zhou (in Wu Kingdom) at the Three Kingdoms Period. It was improved in the following times and became popular in the middle and lower reaches of Changjiang River.
Mr. Bi Yin-sheng's 畢寅生 contribution to Wudu
In 1985, Mr. Bi Yin-sheng started to unearth Wudu and did research on it. He widened its music range to the interval of 11 notes, with vigorous tone colors and mellow sounds. Mr. Huang Xiong Peng, who is from the Central Folk Music Institute, at the nationwide and examining board of culture, science and technology, pointed out that "Yu (also an ancient musical instrument) is without whistle, while Wudu has, it should keep its feature". Henceforth, Wudu was highly praised at the Third Chinese Art Festival. Mr. Bi had performed Wudu abroad many times with the groups of the state, enjoy high reputation in and outside China.
Wudu, "the primitive sound from mankind", besides performing movie and TV music, is also popular with the cultural relic lovers, historical relic collector tourists, and became one of the most typical ancient musical instrument and art collection. It becomes one of the local features of Hubei province.
Standard YouTube License
- 8:58 Chiyou History 1by boyjohnnyyoyo 13,020 views
- 4:57 DJ Wind Traditional Chinese Drum show: 龙腾虎跃by lilong721 12,778 views
- 5:12 Sheng (Chinese mouth organ)by chuckadave 16,004 views
- 1:12 Crossing Delancey: Ripe Plums Are Fallingby MelodyOfVision 5,384 views
- 4:43 Dizi - New Song of the Herdsmen 牧民新歌by kwwkwwkww 60,608 views
- 1:39 Полька для окарини - "Роксоланія" (Ukrainian folk)by zakharii 706 views
- 10:26 Śmierć w wuduby Bartosz Samitowski 3,096 views
- 78 videos Play all CHINESE FLUTE ( OCARINA )by FLUTISTSWORDMAN
- 11:23 Cultivation of Parwal (pointed gourd) Ho PRADAN Jharkhandby digitalgreenorg 1,045 views
- 1:22 Demo: Traditional Chinese Ocarina Wu-du + VCD by Bi Yin-shengby soundofnature01 8,125 views
- 4:10 Chinese Dance- fairs fly in sky (飛天)by ranger20070207 592,316 views
- 1:13 Xun （Chinese Wind Instrument) 埙by Tan Sung Wah 18,123 views
- 7:55 Historical Ocarinas Play Beautifully! (Ocarina Festival 2011)by OcarinaFestival 1,804 views
- 4:20 Korean history - Goguryeo, the powerful kingdom in ancient Northeast Asiaby Vank prkorea 50,443 views
- 3:00 traditional chinese instrument-shengby zoonerzet 22,355 views
- 6:48 Bongeunsa Dharma Instruments: Dharma drum, Brahma bell, "wooden fish" and "cloud plate"by steve46814 4,923 views
- 4:21 Ocarina Black Orpheus.wmvby Andrew Lusher 441 views
- 1:48 Social Dance Jitterbug 12/04/2009by fremontsocialdance 1,860 views
- 2:48 Playing Traditional Chinese Musical Instruments for Chinese New Yearby hgreen71 1,213 views
- 1:29 Chongqing, China, by night 重庆夜景by yip wh 9,318 views
- 0:57 Suzanne Teng & Gilbert Levy World Flute Demonstration - Chinese Hulusi (3 of 8)by Allen Ray 5,962 views
- Loading more suggestions...