Fred Astaire - Night And Day 1932 - Cole Porter Songs
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 29, 2012
Victor Records 241930-A - Recorded In 1932 - Fred Astaire On Vocals With Leo Reisman & His Orchestra. Reached US Billboard 1 - 1932 (18 weeks), US BB 1 of 1932, POP 1 of 1932, RYM 4 of 1932, Music Imprint 14 of 1930s, Brazil 21 of 1933, nuTsie 34 of 1930s, DMDB 52 (1932), RIAA 195, Acclaimed 1369 (1932)
"Night And Day" From the musical comedy "The Gay divorce" Words And Music By Cole Porter. Fox Trot.
"Night and Day" is a popular song by Cole Porter. It was written for the 1932 musical play Gay Divorce. It is perhaps Porter's most popular contribution to the Great American Songbook and has been recorded by dozens of artists.
Fred Astaire introduced "Night and Day" on stage, and his recording of the song was a #1 hit. He performed it again in the 1934 film version of the show, renamed The Gay Divorcee, and it became one of his signature pieces.
Porter was known to claim that the Islamic call to worship he heard on a trip to Morocco inspired the song.
Another popular legend has it he was inspired by the Moorish architecture of the Alcazar Hotel in Cleveland Heights, Ohio.
The song was so associated with Porter that when Hollywood first filmed his life story in 1946, the movie was entitled Night and Day.
"Night and Day" has been recorded many times, notably by Fred Astaire, Bill Evans, Art Tatum, Billie Holiday, Frank Sinatra, Dionne Warwick, Ella Fitzgerald, Shirley Bassey, Ringo Starr, Sondre Lerche, Doris Day, Deanna Durbin, Jamie Cullum, Etta James, and U2.
Sinatra recorded the song at least five times including with Axel Stordahl in his first solo session in 1942 and again with him in 1947, with Nelson Riddle in 1956 for A Swingin' Affair!, with Don Costa in 1961 for Sinatra and Strings, and even a disco version with Joe Beck in 1977. In 2004 a version of "Night and Day" was included in the biographical film about Cole Porter, De-Lovely, sung by John Barrowman and Kevin Kline.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Night and Day" on
- 45 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Fred Astaire - Night And Day 1932 - Cole Porter Songs
- 1:59:23 Atsay Killer (1983) Eddie Garcia, Panchito, Cachupoy, Palito, Paquito Diaz / FULL MOViEby EL Vibora Piling Piling Pelikula105,704 views
- 56:58 JULIO IGLESIAS CONCERTO EN ESPANA COMPLETOby andrea giugliano227,535 views
- 8:48 Judy Garland - 1965 - Cole Porter Medleyby kaatjeaster176,923 views
- 2:20 Fanny Brice - I'd Rather Be Blue Over You, 1929by 240252101,093 views
- 5:32 Fred Astaire-Syd Charisse - All Of Youby cyd007monica6,514 views
- Fred Astaire 6,423 videos6
- 4:47 Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers - Night And Day, The Gay Divorcee, 1934by AstaireLover173,121 views
- 3:38 Night And Dayby vebatelli69,795 views
- 4:18 Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers - The Continental, The Gay Divorcee, 1934by AstaireLover67,305 views
- 2:37 SAY IT ISN'T SO - Dick Powell 1932by 2reeler23,476 views
- 3:05:58 Romantic Saxophone collection part2by behuppyforever217,945,217 views
- 6:09 The Gay Divorcee (1934) - Night & Dayby Duarte Nuno Vasconcellos6,947 views
- 2:54 Fred Astaire Johnny Green Orchestra - A Fine Romance 1936by warholsoup1008,754 views
- 5:16 Night and Day - Fred Astaire with Leo Reisman & his Orchestra - 1932 Victor Recordby victrolaman4,253 views
- 5:01 Fred Astaire - Cheek to Cheekby Theodeus2267,537 views
- 2:53 Cole Porter - What Is This Thing Called Love 1929 Cole Porter Sings His Own Songsby warholsoup10098,445 views
- 2:45 Leo Reisman plays Cole Porter - You Do Something To Me, 1929by 24025263,252 views
- 10:03 Fred Astaire: One for My Baby (dance & song)by jsjojana8216,522 views
- 2:26 Frank Sinatra-' Night And Day'by The .Voice61,619 views
- 2:56 ALL OF ME by Louis Armstrong 1932 JAZZ!!by cdbpdx10,524 views