Hal Varian & Michael Chui: Predicting the Present with Google Trends
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 29, 2012
More info: http://dataedge.ischool.berkeley.edu/...
Predicting the Present with Google Trends
Hal Varian, Chief Economist, Google
Michael Chui, Senior Fellow, McKinsey Global Institute
It is now possible to acquire real time information on economic variables using various commercial sources. Hal Varian will illustrate how one can use Google Trends data to measure the state of the economy in various sectors, and discuss some of the implications for research and policy with Michael Chui of the McKinsey Global Institute.
Chief Economist, Google
Hal Varian is the Chief Economist at Google, where he has been involved in auction design, econometric analysis, finance, corporate strategy, and public policy. He is also a UC Berkeley professor emeritus in business, economics, and information management. Varian was the founding dean of the UC Berkeley School of Information (then known as the School of Information Management & Systems).
A world-renowned economist, Varian has published numerous papers in economic theory, industrial organization, financial economics, econometrics, and information economics. He is the author of two major economics textbooks and the co-author of a bestselling book on business strategy, Information Rules: A Strategic Guide to the Network Economy. Varian also wrote a monthly column for the New York Times from 2000 to 2007.
Senior Fellow, McKinsey Global Institute
Michael Chui is a senior fellow of the McKinsey Global Institute (MGI), where he leads research on the impact of information technologies on business, the economy, and society. Chui has led McKinsey research in such areas as long-term technology-enabled business trends, Web 2.0 and collaboration technologies, emerging markets innovators, and data-driven management. His research has been cited globally in publications such as the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Fast Company, Forbes, The Times of London, and Les Échos.
As a McKinsey consultant, Chui served clients in the high-tech, media, and telecom industries on strategy, innovation and product development, IT, sales and marketing, M&A, and organization.
Standard YouTube License
- 11:48 Mikołaj Komar w 20m2 Łukasza - internetowy talk-show, odcinek 14by Łukasz Jakóbiak Featured 96,385
- 48:42 Hal Varian at RSS 2012 Conference: Statistics at Googleby RoyalStatSoc2,068 views
- 16:38 Web 2.0 Expo SF 2011: Hal Varian, "The Economic Impact of Google"by OreillyMedia1,413 views
- 15:17 Strata 2012: Hal Varian, "Using Google Data for Short-term Economic Forecasting"by OreillyMedia3,972 views
- 41:17 Air Force One & other PresIdential Travel [FULL VIDEO]by FakeProphetTV614,282 views
- 9:12 Introduction to the Google Ad Auctionby Sandi Parker12,857 views
- 12:15 Veronica Mars: FBI Years. Season 4 canceled (ENG )by DS6gg70,916 views
- 3:21 The Future of Retail Analyticsby MindWaveSocial491 views
- 19 videos Play all Marketers in Action at DMA2012by PitneyBowesInc
- 17:30 Nanoeconomicsby The Economist509 views
- 11:59 Kenneth Arrow: The Economy as an Interactive Information Systemby Barcelona GSE2,233 views
- 1:23:04 Hal Varian on Nash equilibria and bidding in Google Auctionsby proudlydismal1,498 views
- 1:32:23 7.26.12 Social Technologies Unlockedby ChurchillClub1,957 views
- 22:56 CompSS Jan 2013: Hal Varian, "Predicting the Present with Search Engine Data"by IRiSS Stanford221 views
- 1:50 Statistics - Dream Job of the next decadeby mcam1356,214 views
- 1:00:15 Using R with Hadoop Webinarby REvolutionAnalytics5,098 views
- 1:49 The MIT Challenge -- Learning 4 Years in 12 Months (Without Taking Classes)by Scott Young35,505 views
- 22:45 ThinkFinance SG 2012: Big Data Transform the Future of Banking (Terry Gordon, Standard Chatered)by GOOGLESingapore469 views
- 58:47 Leaders in Big Databy GoogleTechTalks25,301 views
- 6:08 How to Use Google Trends for Market Researchby freewebcoach1578 views