Rachel Maddow Calls Romney's Jeep Ad A Lie
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 30, 2012
The Mitt Romney campaign is defending its controversial ad that misleads viewers into thinking that under President Barack Obama's watch, Chrysler is moving production of Jeeps to China. The ad, which has sparked a torrent of complaints and fact checking, was initially caught being aired in the Toledo, Ohio, television market, though the Romney campaign had not announced it publicly. The television tracking service TVEyes shows that it is now airing in Youngstown, Ohio, as well.
A Democratic ad buy source, speaking on condition of anonymity to reveal private data, said that the Romney campaign is spending $360,000 on television ads in Toledo between Oct. 27 and Nov. 1, 35 percent of which is being used to air the Jeep ad. It is spending $138,000 in Youngstown over the same time period, 50 percent of which is going to the Jeep ad.
The campaign is doing all of this without mounting a substantive defense of the ad's content. The spot states that Obama took the auto companies through bankruptcy, without acknowledging that that was Romney's plan as well. It says that the Detroit News endorsed Romney, without noting that the endorsement included a criticism of Romney's position on the auto bailout. It states that Romney has a "plan to help the auto industry," though as Politico's Ben White noted, the Romney campaign hasn't offered reporters any such plan. Finally, it cites a debunked report from Bloomberg to suggest that Chrysler will be returning Jeep production to China, without explaining that the company is doing so to cater to a growing Chinese market and isn't moving any U.S. jobs there to accommodate that demand.
"Obama took GM and Chrysler into bankruptcy and sold Chrysler to Italians who are going to build Jeeps in China. Mitt Romney will fight for every American job," the ad says. And yet, the Romney campaign has refused to back off the ad. At first, aides refused to actually comment on it. By Monday, however, they were a bit more defiant about its content.
"What's in there that's false? Are they building Jeeps in China or not?" an aide asked BuzzFeed. "I think a lot of Ohioans are wondering why we can't make Jeeps here and ship them to China, just like they are wondering why we can't make — insert product here — in this country and export them to China."
This is a defense by technicality. The exact language of the ad may fall within the boundaries of truth, but the message it imparts is fanciful and misleading. The Huffington Post asked the Romney campaign for an explanation beyond the one it provided anonymously to BuzzFeed. The campaign did not respond.
"Romney, of course, is getting desperate," Obama campaign manager Jim Messina told a conference call of reporters. "So what did he do? He released an ad in Toledo that everyone in America knows is flat-out false. It reeks of desperation because that's what it is."
On a conference call a few hours later, Steve Rattner, who oversaw the auto bailout for Obama, added that he had personally been in touch with officials at Chrysler to get an honest sense of the story. The company, he said, was simply increasing production in China to meet a growing demand there. "It obviously makes sense to manufacture some or all of those cars closer to the customer rather than shipping them across the world," he said.
Standard YouTube License
- 15:01 Rachel Maddow - Romney running with Paul Ryan, minus the 'Paul Ryan'by Licentiathe8th Featured 15,526
- 15:01 Rachel Maddow - Romney's willingness to say anything makes integrity an issueby Licentiathe8th6,803 views
- 15:01 Rachel Maddow - Powell endorses Obama, Cheney/Beck fundraise for Romneyby Licentiathe8th6,039 views
- 15:01 Rachel Maddow - Election takes unpredictable turn with natural disasterby Licentiathe8th7,681 views
- 13:55 Rachel Maddow - Romney's lying problemby Licentiathe8th19,859 views
- 14:21 Rachel Maddow - Romney disdain for foreign policy risks Bush level disasterby Licentiathe8th4,168 views
- 13:37 Rachel Maddow Who is Paul Ryan Part 1 08 13 2012by Archon OSX6,668 views
- 7:32 Rachel Maddow on The Viewby petulantrumble783,850 views
- 4:49 Rachel Maddow - Romney burned by own lie to Ohioansby Licentiathe8th9,799 views
- 15:01 Rachel Maddow - Ryan hurts Romney on Social Security, flunks commander-in-chief testby Licentiathe8th19,909 views
- 10:19 Rachel Maddow - Romney campaign dons storm relief veneerby Licentiathe8th3,261 views
- 5:23 Mitt Romney Big Ohio Lieby gonz41043,986 views
- 6:50 LIES: Mitt Romney's Ohio Speech Fails Fact-Check Testby politicalarticles3,450 views
- 7:26 Rachel Maddow - Paul Ryan, Vice President Ultrasound?by Licentiathe8th1,835 views
- 3:56 Mitt Romney Holds "Canceled" Ohio Campaign Rally (Disguised As Fake Hurricane Sandy Relief Event)by incitebytes2,856 views
- 9:30 Rachel Maddow - Climate change calls for new planning leadershipby Licentiathe8th1,502 views
- 7:45 Relentless Falsehoods: Romney Doubles Down on Jeep LIE......More LIES in Ohioby politicalarticles352 views
- 3:27 Martin Bashir - Romney hardly hits pause on partisanship, false 'Jeep' ads post-Sandyby Licentiathe8th5,017 views
- 7:50 Rachel Maddow Destroys Pat Buchananby The Young Turks107,313 views