POWER ON TEXAS: Klein ISD Teachers Take Charge in Developing a 21st Century Classroom
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 24, 2010
Klein's desire to create a 21st century classroom arose from understanding the old model doesn't serve students who have grown up with the internet, cell phones and video games.
In 2001, administrators in Klein asked teachers to come up with a plan for the district's Technology Integration Program.
A representative was chosen from each of the district's 19 elementary schools.
Develop a plan for a model 21st century classroom.
The superintendent said this is your project, you go forth, there are no limitations, the sky is the limit.
Based on that in depth study, four computers were deployed to every elementary school classroom.
Then the teachers got busy learning how to transform teaching through technology.
But not everything went smoothly.
There was a lot of resistance from the seasoned teachers.
As with any group you will have some teachers who were saying bring it on and you know I'm so grateful that you're doing this for me, and there were others who might have initially the sense of what are you doing to me.
But training and ongoing support helped teachers get over their initial resistance, and soon they began to notice a difference.
When you had struggling and gifted learners in your room and every learner was running to get in the classroom everyday uh my attendance was up and my discipline was down, and what greater gift to have as a teacher than to have those two things come together.
As technology was deployed throughout the district, including one-to-one computing at the high school level, even more benefits were realized.
We are farther along in being able to meet individual needs with the use of technology than we have ever been able to.
Technology even allowed teachers to reach the shy kids.
Instead of just reaching the ones who talk a lot, now I'm reaching all of my students.
Most of the time I don't like to raise my hand, and I don't like to be called out and you know have everybody else know that I'm not understanding.
And finally, there were real, measurable results.
Number one, students were more engaged they became more independent in their learning and over time we saw increases in math scores and other areas.
Now several years into the process, the teachers in Klein continue to build on their original vision.
Quite honestly I have to tell you, every day that I walk into a classroom and see the magic that teachers are creating with technology and see the power of the products that students are creating, you just know we're on the right path and we're going to continue to get there.
To find out more about how Klein ISD joined the digital learning revolution, go to http://POWERONTEXAS.COM
The Texas Education Agency
In partnership with
Copyright © 2010. Texas Education Agency. All Rights Reserved.
Standard YouTube License
- 15:12 POWER ON TEXAS: The Digital Learning Revolution, Part 1 of 5by powerontexas2,421 views
- 23:30 Teaching Learning Process (Descriptive person, thing, and place) ED Unilaby EDUnila101,677 views
- 14:32 Facebook in the Classroomby markobooko3,026 views
- 26:35 "JAPÓN: PUNTO Y APARTE." DOCUMENTAL SOBRE LA EDUCACIÓN EN JAPÓNby COLEVISIONTV103,915 views
- 7:37 English Teacher (High School), career interview from drkit.orgby DrKitVideos12,609 views
- 1:38 Bollywood classroom ( Blue eyes Blue eyes )by Kharkhauda5,377 views
- 8:08 Tour of a first grade classroom YouTubeby Naveed Ahmad2,315 views
- 23 videos Play all 21st Century Teaching Spotlightby pascoschools
- 38:35 Classroom management - Week 1, Day 1by shiksastudio86,487 views
- 5:55 POWER ON TEXAS: Join the Digital Learning Revolutionby powerontexas4,306 views
- 7:46 Professional Development Qualifications: Purpose and Supportby CambridgeTeachers11,606 views
- 3:08 POWER ON TEXAS: Floydada ISD, Technology Revives a School System and Communityby powerontexas1,177 views
- 9:52 POWER ON TEXAS: The Digital Learning Revolution, Part 5 of 5by powerontexas598 views
- 25:54 Classroom Organization Ideas for Teachers: Helping Ashley Organize The Classroom!by AlejandraCostello47,726 views
- 4:35 21st Century Skills: How do we get there?by Justin Galusha64,571 views
- 10:34 Classroom Management Strategies To Take Control Of Noisy Studentsby Rob Plevin93,747 views
- 6:25 Inside Juvenile Prison: What It's Likeby Calamari Productions498,718 views
- 6:08 Schoolteacher Ananth Pai Brings Video Games to the Classroomby ForaTv4,569 views
- 3:58 I'm a Teacher: An Educator's Anthemby Hill School of Grapevine86,300 views
- 7:13 Using Frames in the Elementary Classroomby Tech4Learning294 views