GENESYS: An Interactive Computer-Mediated Animation System
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 22, 2011
This is a digital copy of a 15:42 minute 16mm film made in 1970. It presents a demonstration of one of the pioneering interactive systems that would enable artists, with no previous computer training, to do animation. The system is called GENESYS, and it was built by Ron Baecker as part of his 1969 PhD thesis.
This system is, IMHO, phenomenal for all kinds of reasons. It mainly used the Rand Tablet, the grandparent of today's graphics tablets, for input. Hence, animators, who were skilled in drawing, were presented with a familiar tool - a stylus - with which to interact with the computer, and be able to do so using already established drawing skills.
This was one of the first systems ever to practice user-centred design, where the intended user was someone who not only was not computer literate, but came from a field - animation - that was about as far away from engineering as one could be. It is significant that the full demonstration is done by Lynn Smith, such an animator, and not by Ron or one of his colleagues from MIT. My challenge to anyone who is not impressed by this is the following: find any other demo of a highly interactive computer system from 1970 or earlier that does this.
But this system is not just interesting because it did a lot of stuff a long time ago that we take for granted today. It goes beyond this. It introduces concepts in pen-based computing (and not just animation) that have high relevance today, and yet are still not possible, even on most pen-based systems (animation or otherwise). In particular, the key notion of GENESYS is that of "picture-driven-animation." That is, a picture could either be a visible object, or a motion path for some graphical object. And furthermore, not only could an object follow a hand-drawn motion path, it could do so with the same dynamics as the line was drawn.
I love this work. It has a huge impact on my own, and I am really glad to finally have a high-quality digital copy that is generally available so that this work can get the attention that it deserves.
This work was done at MIT's Lincoln Lab, and is just one example of the spectacular work that was done there on the TX-2 computer.
For more information on GENESYS, see:
Baecker, Ronald M. (1969). Interactive Computer-Mediated Animation. PhD Thesis, MIT.
Baecker, R.M. (1969). Picture-Driven Animation. Proceedings of the AFIPS Spring Joint Computer Conference, 273-288.
For more information on the pioneering work at Lincoln Lab, including GENESYS, see:
Buxton, William (2005). Interaction at Lincoln Laboratory in the 1960's: Looking Forward -- Looking Back. Panel Introduction. Proceedings of the 2005 ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI'05, April 3-7, 2005, 1163-1167.
For related historical work in interactive computer animation, see also:
NRC(1971). Keyframe Animation. 7 minute 45 second 16 mm film produced by the National Research Council of Canada.
Buxton, W. (2008). My Vision Isn't My Vision: Making a Career Out
of Getting Back to Where I Started. In Thomas Erickson & David
McDonald (Eds.). HCI Remixed: Reflections on Works That Have
Influenced the HCI Community. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 7 - 12.
Standard YouTube License
- 23:20 Open Compute Project Introductionby Eli the Computer Guy Featured 6,229
- 7:22 Key Frame Animationby Bill Buxton129,053 views
- 3:13 ANIMAÇÃO COMPUTADOR DONWLOAD.by agnaldo araujo2,227 views
- 2:51 WINDOWS 7 ANIMATION - INSIDE MY COMPUTERby mppsproductions3,111 views
- 2:24 An animation without Computer!by Choice channel VN Plus10,771 views
- 6:33 first ever 3d animation (40 year old 3d computer graphics pixar 1972)by Ranjit Menon30,628 views
- 2:16 Alan Kay shows the Rand tabletby Larry press3,024 views
- 6:52 Sketchpadby Bill Buxton1,904 views
- 14 videos Play all ACM Awards 2012by TheOfficialACM
- 10:06 Human Computer Interaction - Past, Present, Futureby PrimeOptimaxCorp8,901 views
- 18:27 Programming with On-Line Graphicsby Bill Buxton594 views
- 7:02 History of Microsoft -- 1975by jonpaulmoen36,097 views
- 6:15 האחים גת מנגנים Shaows ובוב דילן ברחוב יפוby Shira Avnat20,942 views
- 2:00:11 Мастер-класс по созданию персонажей от AriOrhby PanzarLeague130,496 views
- 3:10 Human-Computer Interactionby Gaspar Oliveira1,699 views
- 10:57 NCR 3125 NOTEPADby Tralamtam580 views
- 2:57 Animated - Input and Output of Computersby ptudistanceeducation5,525 views
- 1:29:10 Tele Aula 1 Interface Homem Computador 5º período UNOPAR Análise de Sistemasby Graziela Poleto Marin909 views
- 1:25:55 8.27.13 The Future of Human-Computer Interaction: How Will We Connect?by ChurchillClub895 views
- 54:11 Ed Catmull, Pixar: Keep Your Crises Smallby stanfordbusiness128,638 views