TEDxBloomington - Shawn Achor - "The Happiness Advantage: Linking Positive Brains to Performance"
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 30, 2011
Shawn Achor is the winner of over a dozen distinguished teaching awards at Harvard University, where he delivered lectures on positive psychology in the most popular class at Harvard.
His research and lectures on happiness and human potential have received attention in The New York Times, Boston Globe, The Wall Street Journal, as well as on NPR and CNN Radio, and he travels around the United States and Europe giving talks on positive psychology to Fortune 500 corporations, schools, and non-profit organizations.
Achor graduated magna cum laude from Harvard with a BA in English and Religion and earned a Masters degree from Harvard Divinity School in Christian and Buddhist ethics.
Now he is the CEO of Aspirant, a Cambridge-based consulting firm which researches positive outliers-people who are well above average-to understand where human potential, success and happiness intersect. Based on his research and 12 years of experience at Harvard, he clearly and humorously describes to organizations how to increase happiness and meaning, raise success rates and profitability, and create positive transformations that ripple into more successful cultures.
In Shawn's TEDxBloomington presentation, he says that most modern research focuses on the average, but that "if we focus on the average, we will remain merely average." He wants to study the positive outliers, and learn how not only to bring people up to the average, but to move the entire average up.
About TEDx In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TED has created a program called TEDx. TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. Our event is called TEDxBloomington, where x = independently organized TED event. At our TEDxBloomington event, TEDTalks video and live speakers will combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events, including ours, are self-organized.
Standard YouTube License
- 9:51 Why we procrastinate by Vik Nithy @ TEDxYouth@TheScotsCollegeby TEDxTalks550,354 views
- 13:21 The Skill of Self Confidence: Dr. Ivan Joseph at TEDxRyersonUby TEDxTalks720,350 views
- 4:34 iPhone Application Developer... and 6th Grader: Thomas Suarez at TEDxManhattanBeachby TEDxTalks2,327,988 views
- 18:11 Forget what you know: Jacob Barnett at TEDxTeenby TEDxTalks2,317,309 views
- 21:40 TEDxSF - Mel Robbins - F--- YOU - How To Stop Screwing Yourself Overby TEDxTalks465,562 views
- 19:31 How Will You Measure Your Life? Clay Christensen at TEDxBostonby TEDxTalks204,299 views
- 23:36 TEDxCentralSaintMartins - Tom Hulme - Designing for Emergenceby TEDxTalks1,203 views
- 17:49 Self Control: Dan Ariely at TEDxDukeby TEDxTalks184,393 views
- 17:08 TEDxMaastricht - Simon Sinek - "First why and then trust"by TEDxTalks281,245 views
- 20:45 Brené Brown at TEDxHoustonby TEDxTalks1,194,789 views
- 4:28 How To Use One Paper Towel: Joe Smith at TEDxConcordiaUPortlandby TEDxTalks892,942 views
- 12:54 TEDxTucson2011 Kristin Wolff Weadershipby TEDxTalks1,586 views
- 7:59 TEDxTU - Derek Rankins - Coming to Power in Post Katrinaby TEDxTalks606 views
- 18:27 Robyn O'Brien at TEDxAustin 2011by TEDxTalks777,639 views
- 4:43 TEDxToronto -- MADE WADE and Truth Is - Redefining Poetryby TEDxTalks2,506 views
- 13:39 TEDxDF - Garigoleo - Improvisaciónby TEDxTalks486 views
- 12:37 TEDxRideauCanal - Pandemic Theatre - A Shot in the Dark (the immortality of theatre)by TEDxTalks669 views
- 19:10 TEDxOrangeCoast - Daniel Amen - Change Your Brain, Change Your Lifeby TEDxTalks261,949 views
- 14:29 TEDxBirmingham - Colin Coyne - Purple Dotsby TEDxTalks810 views