Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orion (Studio Version)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 13, 2011
Rodrigo y Gabriela
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rodrigo y Gabriela (Rodrigo and Gabriela) are a Mexican musical duo who specialize in playing fast, rhythmic acoustic guitars. The duo's members are Rodrigo Sanchez, lead guitar, and Gabriela Quintero, rhythm guitar.
The musicians gained a reputation by playing in the pubs and bars of Dublin, Republic of Ireland, and despite their unusual style, gained a cult following. Reviewing one of their gigs,The Independent notes that "Rodrigo y Gabriela's secret is maybe quite simple. They are resourceful musicians who can really play, and are open-hearted, happy entertainers. That, very often, is what people want." Both live a vegan lifestyle and support animal rights.
The duo met in Mexico City while playing in a thrash metal band called "Tierra Ácida". Growing frustrated with the limited scope of the domestic music scene, they moved to Europe, where they met considerable acclaim.
They took up residence in Dublin, Ireland, after hearing it was particularly welcoming to travelling musicians. Playing live gigs in various pubs and busking on Grafton Street and Temple Bar allowed them to practice their sound. They received their break when Damien Rice approached them to provide the support for the Irish music festival Oxegen. In 2005 they toured extensively in festivals around the United Kingdom and beyond.
The duo has released six albums - Foc, re-Foc, Live in Manchester and Dublin, the self-titled album Rodrigo y Gabriela, Live in Japan and 11:11.
The self-titled album Rodrigo y Gabriela entered the Irish Albums Chart at #1 beating Arctic Monkeys and Johnny Cash to the top spot. It was released internationally on 13 March 2006, having been given an earlier Irish release.Rodrigo y Gabriela which was produced by John Leckie includes covers of Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" and Metallica's "Orion". The duo list Metallica as being among their key influences, alongside other heavy metal bands such as Megadeth, Slayer, Testament and Overkill. The other tracks are original works inspired by the places they have been and the people they have met. Live in Japan was released on 20 October 2008 (UK), and includes 14 tracks, and a bonus DVD containing 5 videos. The Led Zeppelin cover can be found on the album Rhythms del Mundo Classics.
Their feature on MTV gave them a huge boost in popularity in the United States. This led to a feature on Nightmare Revisited, a tribute album to the music from Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas. The duo perform an instrumental version of "Oogie Boogie's Song".
They released a new album, entitled 11:11 in September 2009. Alex Skolnick of Testament guests on the album, as do Strunz & Farah. Upon the release of the new album, they have received much mainstream American popularity and were the featured music on Monday Night Football on October 12, 2009 as they celebrated Latino Heritage Month.
Their song Santo Domingo was chosen as the Starbucks iTunes Pick of the Week for November 10, 2009.
The duo was the musical guest on "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson" that aired on CBS-TV on October 28, 2009 and was re-run on December 29, 2009. They performed "Buster Voodoo." They performed on Jools Holland'sAnnual Hootenanny on December 31, 2009.
The duo was the musical guest on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" that aired on NBC on March 23, 2010 to promote their album 11:11 and on "Lopez Tonight" which aired on TBS March 25, 2010
In May 2010, Rodrigo y Gabriela performed in front of U.S. President Barack Obama, with Beyoncé also featuring.
They headlined the West Holts stage on the Sunday night at Glastonbury 2010  and played the King Tuts Tent at T In The Park on 10 July 2010. They also had a spot on the main stage at Latitude festival that same July, they managed to draw in a huge crowd.
In 2010, Rodrigo y Gabriela contributed a live version of their song "Hora Zero" to the Enough Project and Downtown Records' Raise Hope for Congocompilation. Proceeds from the compilation fund efforts to make the protection and empowerment of Congo's women a priority, as well as inspire individuals around the world to raise their voice for peace in Congo.
They played the Nice Jazz Festival on 23 July 2010.
They played the Mcmenemin's Edgefield outdoor concert in Portland, OR on August 14, 2010
The duo performed at the Ravinia Festival on 8/28/10, and on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno on September 30, 2010.
In September 2010 the duo announced a hiatus from touring due to stress injuries caused by Gabriela's heavily percussive style of playing.
On 20 January 2011, Rodrigo y Gabriela entered the studio with Hans Zimmer to write and record sessions of the score from Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. 
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Orion" on
Rodrigo y Gabriela
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orion (Studio Version)
- 4:57 Rodrigo y Gabriela - Diablo Rojo (HQ)by piertangent Featured 266,200
- 45:52 Rodrigo & Gabriela - 11:11by Maximiliano Ratica3,936 views
- 9:05 Metallica - Orion ~ Watch in HD ~by TheSepulcral911,133 views
- 10:31 Rodrigo y Gabriela "Foc" live @ Eurockéennesby rodrigoygabrielafan439,702 views
- 8:45 Metallica - Orion live 2006 (HD)by Gr0mF1,752,260 views
- 85 videos Play all rodrigo y gabrielaby rosegab1966
- 8:13 Rodrigo y Gabriela feat. C.U.B.A. - Ixtapaby jagrblood56,225 views
- 5:07 Never Enough Alfaby Petrolicious165,265 views
- 6:34 Rodrigo y Gabriela- Metallica/ Slayer/ Stairway to Heaven/ Tamacunby Ax Opp311,610 views
- 1:51:55 Rodrigo y Gabriela and C.U.B.A. live at Radio City Music Hallby Noel Anderson49,838 views
- 2:41 Rodrigo y Gabriela - Master of Puppets + atmanby faultfinder9108,239 views
- 10:34 rodrigo y gabriela Oneby xoniz xo361,543 views
- 5:15 Rodrigo y Gabriela - Ixtapaby DwarfeDNL251,746 views
- 3:43 Diablo Rojoby rodgabofficial17,593 views
- 4:22 Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Buster Voodoo HD [Best of Guitar-Tube.com]by GuitarTube130,372 views
- 1:50 IRISH GARDA OFFICERS FROM BLANCHARDSTOWN RACIALLY BRUTALIZING A NIGERIAN IN IRELANDby Mary flee66,549 views
- 8:37 Rodrigo y Gabriela, and Robert Trujillo, at Riviera Theatre Chicago October 16, 2009 Orionby TP1134510,023 views
- 4:45 Rodrigo y Gabriela - Stairway to Heavenby rpedwa252,277 views
- 5:40 Rodrigo y Gabriela - Foc (Studio Version)by Rotennn7,182 views
- 4:02 Rodrigo y Gabriela - Santo Domingoby Michiel Buysse41,943 views