Kayaking with Orca, or Killer Whales off Sooke, BC on Vancouver Island.
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 6, 2009
Theyre All Around Us!
Who knew when I woke up on this Thursday morning that it was going to be an extraordinary day that would produce a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
It was a beautiful afternoon with calm seas; so, Allan from West Coast Outdoor Adventure Rentals http://www.westcoastoutdoor.ca and I decided to take the Hobie kayaks for a spin. Heading out towards Secretary Island just off Sooke, BC in the Juan de Fuca Strait, we got word there was a large pod of Orcas close by. We were so excited to receive this news and at the prospect of seeing killer whales; we were immediately intrigued. As luck would have it, the whales were just as intrigued by us.
We could see the whales were swimming near Otter Point, about a mile and a half from where we drifted and bobbed about like buoys in our kayaks. We could just make out the black specks of dorsal fins on the horizon. The killer whales were hugging the shoreline, so we were completely amazed at the events that would take place over the next 30 minutes.
Even though we were in the open, usually turbulent, waters of the Juan de Fuca Strait, we were in a flood tide so paddling was smooth—effortless. We held our position and the whales got closer, and closer. The entire pod was heading our way. The pod got a little closer, then a lot closer. Then they were all around us! And under us! And beside us!
A mother and her calf gave us an unbelievable experience; if I hadnt caught the scene on video, I would never have believed it. I can wholeheartedly say that this was one of the most stunning, thrilling (and scary!) events of my life. Mother and baby swam straight towards us, and dove directly in front of the bow of my kayak. I could see them both swimming under my kayak and then disappear into the depths. Not knowing where or when then would emerge, I sat in anticipation. And then, they surfaced directly in front of my kayak.
Wow. Unbelievable! They were all around us. Dont believe me? Think Im exaggerating? This is no fishermans tall tale, and I have the video to prove it. Join me on my adventure and watch this astonishing recount.
Dont forget to check out the official Discover Sooke Online website to learn more about Sooke businesses and our community www.discoversooke.com. http://www.discoversooke.com
West Coast Outdoor Adventure Rentals is located at Sooke Harbour Resort and Marina http://www.sookeharbourresort.ca
We'd like like to let everyone know that we have been in contact with the DFO (Department of Fisheries and Oceans) as they had some concerns about this video.
We assured them that our intentions that day were NOT to intentionally place ourselves in the middle of whales, but rather head out in hopes that we might witness them passing by from a safe distance.
"L-POD" were spaced out about 1km in diameter, which placed us amongst them before we even knew it as they were close to shore and moving very quickly. We felt that we didn't have the ability to safely move out of the way nor did we have the time. They appeared around us as quickly as it started. There were fishing vessels and a whale watching boat near us, so we felt we were doing the proper thing by just staying where everyone else was.
West Coast Outdoor Adventure Rentals does not rental kayaks for the Strait of Juan de Fuca and are only used in the Sooke Harbour and Basin. These were not rented, we were on our own time.
For whale guidelines and regulations, please vist the Whale Wise website:
***END OF UPDATE***
Standard YouTube License
- 1:35 Orcas scare diver from water, then pursue dog toward shore (Matheson Bay) HDby 10isthisthereallifeFeatured 872,217
- Kayak Fishing Tales 136 videos13K
- 4:28 Killer Sharks vs. Killer Whales Videoby 13jaipals13 305,588 views
- 0:29 Boeing 757 amazing 90 degrees climbingby Frapol2000 491,866 views
- 0:14 Best Shark Picture Ever!by JCNewly 1,908,034 views
- 5:51 Orca Family Playing with Crowdby Dlfnl8y 643,661 views
- 3:05 1000lb Marlinby Nomadsportfishing 1,344,733 views
- 5:49 Lady falls in Seaworld pool!by Christina Nguyen 1,303,620 views
- 1:03 Killer whale goes crazyby Alex Andelkovic 1,214,397 views
- 4:13 ORCAS VS SPERM WHALES - ATTACK ON A FEMALE AND HER YOUNG BULL CALF!by theytrebel 1,240,938 views
- 4:01 Giant Blue-Finned Tuna - Killer Whale - BBCby BBCEarth 355,090 views
- 10:01 Girl With Schizophrenia Loses Touch With Reality Part 1by craksandwitches 3,994,500 views
- 1:08 Whale hits & smashes yacht in South Africaby RussiaToday 8,990,671 views
- 1:15 Luna, a wild orca boy, tries to communicate with humans by imitating their boat's motor!by dreadfin 916,282 views
- 0:24 Bear attack, F1 Pitstop disasterby hammaglamma 13,208,478 views
- 1:39 Orca Encounterby MarkBirkett 29,933 views
- 0:49 Shark in Portrush Harbour (Northern Ireland)by Stephen -zzirdome 729,429 views
- 0:22 friendly sealby padosmall 785,723 views
- 1:02 Kayaking with Killer Whales in the San Juan Islandsby surfrdr 235,450 views
- 0:38 Lion Intimidates Crocodileby El Stefaneli 42,738,110 views
- 0:38 Smart elephant in the Berlin Zooby agynter 4,795,115 views
- Loading more suggestions...