This video is unavailable.
- Startups - Rob Hayes of First Round Capital - TWiST #249
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 18, 2012
1:00-2:15 Welcome everyone, with me today is Rob Hayes of First Round Capital.
2:15-4:00 Thank you to eMinutes for sponsoring the show. If you're a first-time entrepreneur, contact eMinutes for free incorporation services!
5:00-5:30 Your speciality is getting into deals early, yes?
5:30-7:30 What is the average fund size?
7:30-8:30 Were Josh and Howard visionaries when they decided on this fund size?
8:30-11:30 What's different about what you guys do than the Sequoia Capitals of the world?
11:30-13:30 When startups raise a huge fund without anyone in charge, what problems does that cause?
13:30-15:30 Tyler: Breast augmentation is a leading indicator of a bubble.
15:30-19:15 Was Instagram a "bubble-like" purchase, in your mind?
19:15-22:45 What's your advice to young entrepreneurs, go for growth or go for revenue?
22:45-25:45 Thank you to Trada for supporting TWiST! Everyone thank @Trada!
25:45-29:15 What are the things you look for that make you want to invest in companies?
29:15-30:45 When you're not going to invest in something, how do you tell the person know?
30:45-34:15 Rob explains his process working with Mint.com's Aaron Patzer.
34:15-36:00 What was your biggest hit? Uber? How did you get them?
36:00-37:00 What are some of First Round's other big hits?
37:00-38:15 Is Jack Dorsey a genius?
38:15-43:30 If you were on the board of Apple, would you give a stock dividend or purchase companies?
43:30-46:30 It's time to play "Guess the Fake Startup" with Kirin Kalia of LAUNCH.
46:30-53:15 Jason, Tyler and Rob review the startups for consideration.
53:17 Fucking, Jason
53:15-54:00 LearningTrails.com is the fake startup!
54:00-56:30 What's the most important trait for an entrepreneur to succeed?
56:30-59:45 Is a certain humility necessary?
59:45-1:00:45 If you've made enough money that you don't have to work, why do you still do what you do?
1:00:45-1:02:45 How much harder is it to be a founder than it is to be a VC?
1:02:45-1:04:45 Why is First Round's reputation so good?
1:04:45-1:06:00 Have you ever funded someone who emailed you cold?
1:06:00-1:08:30 What's your biggest miss?
1:08:30-1:10:00 What's your take on the YCombinator bubble?
1:10:00-1:11:15 Tyler: Is Silicon Valley losing its grip as "startup mecca"?
1:11:15-1:11:45 Thank you to our friends at eMinutes and Trada.
1:11:45-1:13:00 Rob, thank you for joining us today. And remember, TWI is still looking for a CEO. If you're a samurai CEO, email email@example.com. We'll see you next time!
Support This Week in Startups and independent media by joining the TWiST Producer Program at TwistList.co!
Want to support TWiST another way? Use bit.ly/twistamazon when you shop and a portion of your purchase will go toward helping keep independent media like TWiST on air!
Keep up with the latest from our sister company, LAUNCH:
Is There a YCombinator Valuation Bubble or Not?
The One Product that Makes Apple a Trillion-Dollar Company Overnight
Mint.com-for-the-cloud Cloudability to Graduate from TechStars Cloud with 2k+ Customers
LAUNCH Education & Kids, June 12 and 13
FOLLOW ON TWITTER
Next in - Startups: Season 3 Episodes
- 1:25:10 - Startups - Ryan Carson of Carsonified and Treehouse- TWiST #198by ThisWeekIn 5,984 views
- 1:10:36 - Startups - Rick Marini of BranchOut - TWiST #205by ThisWeekIn 3,128 views
- 1:23:42 - Startups - News Panel with Jason Nazar and Marshall Kirkpatrick - TWiST #246by ThisWeekIn 3,140 views
- 10:07 Y Combinator's Graham Doesn't See `Bubble' in Technology: Videoby Bloomberg 7,752 views
- 1:01:05 Aaron Patzer - The $170 Million Idea: From Idea to Exit in 3 Yearsby princetonacademics 8,205 views
- 1:00:26 The Power of Curiosity and Inspirationby StanfordUniversity 10,315 views
- 18:37 A look at the early days of Twitterby ekai 8,579 views
- 27:44 Google Ventures' Kevin Rose on what makes a great startup teamby GoogleDevelopers 5,564 views
- 9:59 Magic Whiteboard - Dragons Den Winners - The Original & Bestby Neil Westwood 170,344 views
- 5:52 Lisa Lampanelli & Pamela Andersonby Pulse0nline 1,348,116 views
- 4:27 Jack Dorsey: How I Juggle Twitter And Squareby forbes 5,257 views
- 1:03:04 Running Lean - How to vet new product ideas and save yourself time, money, and effortby OreillyMedia 3,979 views
- 10:01 How Venture Capital Works PT1by SVBFinancialGroup 32,371 views
- 1:26:08 6.14 Venture Capital Roundtable 2011by ChurchillClub 1,845 views
- 9:57 Original Degrassi Cast Reunion - Part 1 of 5by bmuz 128,057 views
- 12:04 Mike Falzone - From Near Death To YouTube Stardomby John Greathouse 486 views
- 2:22 Y Combinator by the Numbers [Kinetic Typography]by VoltierCreativeVideo 12,289 views
- 1:18:36 - Startups - News Panel with David Travers and David Carter - TWiST #248by ThisWeekIn 2,594 views
- 28:01 Julian Assange's The World Tomorrow: Hassan Nasrallah (E1)by RussiaToday 361,635 views