This video is unavailable.
Michael Yon video of British soldiers fighting in Helmand Province, Afghanistan
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 5, 2009
05 October 2009
In July, British soldiers and I boarded a CH-47 helicopter at Camp Bastion for the flight to FOB Jackson at Sangin where fighting is brutal. The helicopter was so stuffed with men, gear and supplies that the cargo was not even strapped down. We steadied the long stack with our hands and prayed that the pilots not begin flying violent evasive maneuvers. The tail gunner partially lifted the ramp to prevent bundles from tumbling into the skies, and that was it for securing the bundles. Just a week before, a giant MI-26 helicopter was shot down on final approach to this same landing zone. All aboard died in flames, as did two children on the ground.
This is, interestingly, the same landing zone where I would make the photos for The Kopp-Etchells Effect, dispatch, which was published in many languages around the world. Many readers have weighed in with ideas about the causes of the glow. Some say the cause is St Elmos fire or the triboelectric effect, or perhaps the piezoelectric effect. The actual cause does not seem to be surely known, according to J. Gordon Leishman, D.Sc.(Eng.), Ph.D., F.R.Ae.S., Minta Martin Professor of Engineering, Department of Aerospace Engineering at the University of Maryland. I dont know. Maybe its caused by angels. It definitely is beautiful.
We need more gear and more forces now. We can outfight these enemies and we can win the war, but at this rate a favorable outcome is difficult to imagine. This war shows signs that it will become more intense than Iraq at its peak. As with my twelve dispatches from 2006 warning that we were losing this war, the warnings over the past couple of years seem to be falling on incredulous ears. We will lose the war unless we get more troops and more gear soon.
This weekend we lost eight more soldiers in a firefight. I learned about it while they were still fighting, but did not report it until just before the media broke the story the next day. Still unreported, to my knowledge, sources tell me that FOB Keating was destroyed and that troops were under siege for up to 24 hours before Air Force Para-rescue got them out. (Subject to confirmation.) The fighting will only intensify. We can beat these guys, but not under current conditions.
The last two missions I did with British 2 Rifles ended in firefights. Due to bandwidth difficulties, only a small part of the video was uploaded. Those two firefights were melded into one short video. These are just typical hum-drum day-in day-out missions, nothing like what happened this weekend in Nuristan.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:03 The Panther's Claw - Afghanistanby Journeyman PicturesFeatured 251,746
- 6:41 British Marines In Afghanistan - Dawn Assualt Part 2 of 2by BigDaz 122,986 views
- 2:26 Canadian Army In Heavy Firefight In Afghanistan 1/3by rayethon 1,840,136 views
- 47:59 Commando on the frontline [HQ] Ep1by junkrat1 1,304,121 views
- 10:16 British Marines In Afghanistan - Sparrowhawkby BigDaz 52,013 views
- 5:12 Royal Marines: Battle in Afghanistanby dj1uk3 227,269 views
- 3:11 5 SCOTS UNDER ATTACK AFGHANISTAN DEC. 2010by Daniel Demoustier 102,614 views
- 0:57 British soldier killed by explosion in Afghanistanby ITN 35,126 views
- 72 videos Play all Combat Cameraby Paporulez
- 9:44 British Marines fight The Taleban. Part 1 of 4.by BigDaz 367,438 views
- 2:59 Paras' New Guns 07.06.10by BritishForcesNews 225,916 views
- 1:48 Raw Video: Marines Fight Taliban in Afghanistanby AssociatedPress 1,196,647 views
- 7:44 Fighting Season - Afghanistanby Journeyman Pictures 252,641 views
- 4:10 British Troops: Assault in Afghanistanby dj1uk3 45,481 views
- 3:00 British commandos fighting talibanby cuarecrap 230,707 views
- 3:16 Fire Fight Viper Company Valley of Death Korengal Afghanistanby kguy70 100,402 views
- 2:29 Afghan Taliban says it will continue to fight - 11 Mar 09by AlJazeeraEnglish 1,110,644 views
- 2:52 Seeking signs of change in Helmand province - 23 Oct 07by AlJazeeraEnglish 23,977 views
- 0:58 RAF Pilot saved villagers by steering smart bomb away from villagers - Afghanistanby helmandblog 42,475 views
- 45:10 Royal Marines: Mission Afghanistan - Deadly Underfootby Bryan Ott 140,473 views
- 4:24 The Average British Soldierby Iain Grant 197,170 views
- Loading more suggestions...