Facts Of Evolution: Universal Common Descent
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 15, 2010
http://www.facebook.com/ScienceReason ... Facts of Evolution (Chapter 2): Universal Common Descent.
Please SUBSCRIBE to Science & Reason:
EVOLUTION IS REAL SCIENCE:
1. Does The Evidence Support Evolution?
2. Vitamin C And Common Ancestry
3. Are We Descended From Viruses?
4. Does The Fossil Record Support Evolution?
5. Where Are The Transitional Forms?
FACTS OF EVOLUTION:
2. Universal Common Descent
3. Good Design, Bad Design
4. Speciation And Extinction
5. How Fast Is Evolution?
6. What Can Embryos Tell Us About Evolution?
7. The Molecules Of Life
8. Molecular Evolution: Genes And Proteins
9. Retroviruses And Pseudogenes
In evolutionary biology, a group of organisms have common descent if they have a common ancestor. All living organisms on Earth are descended from a common ancestor or ancestral gene pool.
Charles Darwin proposed his theory of universal common descent through an evolutionary process in his "On the Origin of Species" (1859), and later in "The Descent of Man" (1871). This theory is now widely accepted by biologists.
The last universal ancestor (LUA) (or last universal common ancestor, LUCA), that is, the most recent common ancestor of all currently living organisms, is believed to have appeared about 3.9 billion years ago.
In "The Ancestor's Tale", Richard Dawkins coined the word concestor, as a substitute for common ancestor or most recent common ancestor. This new word is very gradually entering scientific parlance.
Common biochemistry and genetic code: All known forms of life are based on the same fundamental biochemical organisation: genetic information encoded in DNA, transcribed into RNA, through the effect of protein- and RNA-enzymes, then translated into proteins by (highly similar) ribosomes, with ATP, NADH and others as energy sources, etc.
Furthermore, the genetic code (the "translation table" according to which DNA information is translated into proteins) is nearly identical for all known lifeforms, from bacteria to humans.
The universality of this code is generally regarded by biologists as definitive evidence in favor of the theory of universal common descent. Analysis of the small differences in the genetic code has also provided support for universal common descent.
The Cassiopeia Project - making science simple!
The Cassiopeia Project is an effort to make high quality science videos available to everyone. If you can visualize it, then understanding is not far behind.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:24:37 What Is the Evidence for Evolution Found in the Fossil Record? Richard Dawkins Speech (2009)by The Film Archives Featured 20,312
- 58:34 Evolution - A Crumbling Theory ( StreetChurch Adelaide )by Street Church54,978 views
- 41:35 Age of the earth (Evolution is a Fake Science)by ThePersecuted755,217 views
- 14:46 On Extraterrestrialsby Bojan Crevar48,882 views
- 10:57 Origin And Evolution Of Lifeby Best0fScience157,767 views
- 10:55 The First Humansby Best0fScience282,787 views
- 23 videos Play all Common Descent by Natural Selectionby BarbaricMoose
- 51:25 Facts Of Evolution (Cassiopeia Project)by bdw500025,639 views
- 5:23 Quantum Entanglement - The Weirdness Of Quantum Mechanicsby Best0fScience337,970 views
- 1:40:23 Intelligent Design vs. Evolution - Stephen Meyer vs. Peter Ward (rematch)by ThomisticTheist1,033 views
- 44:33 The Moon & the evolution of life on Earth (FULL VIDEO)by Sky Faction554 views
- 1:06:01 Kenneth Miller - Evolution vs. Intelligent Design FULLby ChristopherHitchslap24,787 views
- 8:28 James White the PROFESSIONAL LIAR Part 1by Brian McClurg12,121 views
- 9:42 Evolution: Where Are The Transitional Forms?by Best0fScience25,838 views
- 7:58 Facts Of Evolution: Good Design, Bad Designby Best0fScience52,084 views
- 10:25 Evolution Of Modern Humansby Best0fScience115,507 views
- 44:25 HD) 100 Greatest Discoveries The Origin and Evolution of Life Full Documentaryby kotelnyki0ji1,368 views
- 1:53:18 "Nova" Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial. (2007)by Danny Brunet17,458 views
- 10:58 Human Evolution: Did We Come From Monkeys?by FFreeThinker345,768 views
- 6:06 Irreducible Complexity: The Eye Could Not Have Evolvedby FFreeThinker38,246 views