Published on Apr 12, 2011
I recently purchased a "BNIB" Brand New In Box Shure Beta 58a on eBay, but as soon as I received it and opened the box I knew it was FAKE! Needless to say I was a bit upset. I thought that I would take the time before sending it back to the seller to make this video to show some of the ways to identify a FAKE Shure Beta 58a as they are a very popular counterfeit item.
I apologize about the sometimes blurry and wind noise as I filmed outside to get better light and I had to switch back and forth between close viewing and far viewing for clarity.
(update Apr 17, 2012 -- newer authentic Beta 58a mics may also have two letters stamped on the foam under the windscreen. These letters vary from the different mics that I own, but I am not sure what they indicate.)
- FAKE Shure Beta 58a mics weigh less and do not feel as substantial if that makes sense
- the color of the FAKE is off a bit
- the logo of the FAKE is not as crisp and the font is bolder/fatter
- the cable plug pin label fonts are smaller on the FAKE and there appears to be no letter label above the flat metal piece above the 1 and 2 pins
- wire mesh screen on the FAKE is bright shiny chrome with a looser mesh, weights less
- blue band on the FAKE mic will easily roll out of the metal groove it is suppose to sit tightly within, the groove is also bigger than the flimsy blue rubber band on the FAKE. The real blue band is securely fitted within the groove on the wire mesh
- The FAKE capsule has no visible yellow and green wires
- The capsule foam on the FAKE is black, where it real capsule foam is a dark grey
- the font on the top of the capsule plastic piece of the FAKE is a straight up and down font and bigger than the real capsule logo, which is smaller and slanted to the right.
- The FAKE mesh cover has no machined groove before the threads start
I hope this helps some people. Moral of the story... buyer beware of "New In Box" on eBay from non-stores. I would recommend getting pictures of some of the key items I have described. If in doubt, but the mic new. It seems like you are saving a lot by buying a used Shure Beta 58a, and you are... if it is REAL.
Standard YouTube License