This video is unavailable.
TEDxSwarthmore - Corinna Lathan - Innovation, Empathy, and the Future of Human-Machine Interaction
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 3, 2012
The interaction between humans and technology has changed drastically in the last 20 years. This relationship shapes our society in positive and negative ways, and the next 20 years promises to bring about even more profound changes.
Perhaps you remember the "Borg Collective" from Star Trek: The Next Generation. The Borg used neural interfaces to connect every member of their society to each other and their leader. What if instead of a dictatorial society, the Borg had used their neural interconnections to create an advanced egalitarian society?
They didn't. But maybe we can.
As founder and CEO of AnthroTronix Inc., Corinna Lathan's ('88) work with children with disabilities has been featured in Forbes, Time, and The New Yorker and has led to her being named one of MIT Technology Review's "Top 100 World Innovators" and Fast Company's "Most Creative People in Business." Lathan also is the founder of Keys to Empowering Youth, an engineering mentoring program for young girls.
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.* (*Subject to certain rules and regulations)
Standard YouTube License
- 15:51 TEDxSwarthmore - Donna Jo Napoli - What Children (and Everyone Else) Need to Readby TEDxTalks 2,726 views
- 15:07 TEDxSwarthmore - Steve Wang - 180 Degreesby TEDxTalks 1,976 views
- 20:04 TEDxSwarthmore - Mark Kuperberg -The Case for Big Government: The Case Americans Don't Want to Hearby TEDxTalks 1,214 views
- 19:22 TEDxSwarthmore - Amy Cheng Vollmer - The Role of Science and Science Literacyby TEDxTalks 439 views
- 19:20 TEDxSwarthmore - Mary Jean Chan - A Tapestry of Narratives: Conversations through Poetryby TEDxTalks 4,029 views
- 16:00 TEDxKTH - Kristina Höök - Living in an Internet of Things Worldby TEDxTalks 949 views
- 14:06 TEDxSwarthmore - Stephanie Nyombayire - Fighting Poverty, Wars, and Faminesby TEDxTalks 5,565 views
- 16:31 TEDxChCh - John Marshall Roberts - The Global Urgency of Everyday Empathyby TEDxTalks 13,081 views
- 23:59 TEDxYALE - Dr. Sarah Parcak - My Own Twist of Fate: How I Became a Space Archaeologistby TEDxTalks 1,279 views
- 15:17 TEDxWarwick - Noam Chomsky - The Global Shift in Power in Politicsby TEDxTalks 11,977 views
- 22:55 TEDxPentagon - Rear Admiral David Titley, USN - Climate Change and National Securityby TEDxTalks 8,065 views
- 10:16 TEDxOttawa - Natasha Kyssa - Let Food Be Thy Medicineby TEDxTalks 8,597 views
- 16:52 TEDxSwarthmore - Paul Starr - The American Struggle over Health Care Reformby TEDxTalks 1,645 views
- 12:31 TEDxClaremontColleges - Jesse DuBois - The Urban Farming Revolutionby TEDxTalks 15,113 views
- 17:04 Teaching the ABCs of Attention, Balance and Compassion: Susan Kaiser Greenland at TEDxStudioCityEDby TEDxTalks 13,104 views
- 19:58 TEDxConcordia - Mitch Joel - The future of the web may not be socialby TEDxTalks 7,936 views
- 13:14 TEDxOverlake - Krissy Moehl - Life in Motion: Learning through Movementby TEDxTalks 11,535 views
- 23:16 TEDxSanAntonio - Eythor Bender - eLEGS Merging Technology & the Human Bodyby TEDxTalks 7,800 views
- 15:35 TEDxBerlin 11/15/2010 - Tobias Wallisser - Future Cities: towards a synergy of nature and technologyby TEDxTalks 2,129 views
- 19:03 Ecocide, the 5th Crime Against Peace: Polly Higgins at TEDxExeterby TEDxTalks 16,974 views