The Light In Her Eyes - OFFICIAL TRAILER
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 25, 2011
Houda al-Habash, a conservative Muslim preacher, founded a Qur'an school for girls in Damascus, Syria when she was just 17 years old. Countering rigid cultural traditions and a repressive government, Houda encourages women and girls to pursue higher education and jobs, using Islam as a catalyst for change. In a world rarely seen, the story unfolds over three months of Houda's summer program, revealing why women are choosing Islam in a rapidly changing world.
A loving wife and mother, Houda is also an impressive and commanding leader committed to giving her students first-hand knowledge of the Qur'an. In her mosque school we meet several teachers and students—a working dentist juggles her clinic and family responsibilities, a spirited teenager dreams of becoming a doctor, and several university students memorize the Qur'an while pursuing advanced secular degrees. The amount of autonomy enjoyed by women in Houda's mosque is surprising, revealing a debate in their community around the proper roles for women. The Islamic revival, of which Houda is a part, has been taking place not only in Syria, but throughout the Middle East. Interviews with Syrian journalists and scholars are woven through the film, offering background on how women's active participation in the revival is impacting the region.
Over the course of one summer program, Houda leads her students through Qur'an classes, playful field trips, an emotional veiling ceremony, and the final graduation party. An energetic cast of characters brings audiences to private family meals and affectionate social gatherings, immersing viewers in a vibrant social network. No other film crew has been granted such rare and intimate access to the women's side of any Syrian mosque, nor to the private lives of its members.
Standard YouTube License
- 28:28 With Haleh Friendship In Islamby alfajrtv Featured
- 12:15 Muslim in China,Graduation ceremony of a Islamic girl's schoolby nottc45,644 views
- 10:42 The Role of Muslim Women in Classical Islamic Education - Abdal Hakim Muradby Islam On Demand1,071 views
- 9:49 The Wisdom Behind Music Being Haramby MilkShaykh019,395 views
- 1:09:18 A message to all women: "About men" - How to go about finding the right man.by ebosmitty9947,784 views
- 11:40 Hollywood girl converted to islamby al7oriya1,313,799 views
- 9:26 How to memorize the Quranby TUBNIT26,565 views
- 5:07:32 MoreThan 69 Miracles of ISLAM, that none can Deny .by Astonishing CreatorSignsAndProofs381,503 views
- 49:35 Stories Of The Prophets-25: Musa, Uzair, Hizqeel, Yushua, Dawud (as) Part 1 - Mufti Ismail Menkby soukISLAM32,280 views
- 27:46 Are you living a dream? Isn't it time you woke up?by TheDailyreminders2,546 views
- 9:10 BBC1 - Muslim Convertsby philputnamspencer96,167 views
- 2:09 The Light In Her Eyes - young women debate at the mosqueby thelightinhereyes3,345 views
- 9:48 The Bible or The Qur'an-which is the God's word_chunk_19/28by priyadarshanmcse12,458 views
- 3:07 A STUPID GIRL ARGUES TO INTELLIGENT ZAKIR NAIKby furqhan malik1,822,864 views
- 57:08 Make Me a Muslim | young British women are converting to Islam BBC full movie Documentary 2013 epi2by londonnews2012827,098 views
- 7:44 MUST WATCH: A Lioness Adopts a baby antelope. A short documentary that will open your eyes.by tigerprides3,789,877 views
- 2:55 Amazing Quran Recitation By a young Syrian girlby Sara Kurdy Abidatullah103,475 views
- 2:11:24 The Big Debates: Islam or Atheism - Which Makes More Sense? Lawrence Krauss & Hamza Tzortzisby iERAuk372,687 views
- 2:53 Lama & Omar's Engagementby Jim Beydoun525,702 views
- 4:59 La Youmal Maitre Adelby mohd saad64,037 views
- Loading more suggestions...