Lord of The Rings - The Hobbit (Piano/Cello Cover) - ThePianoGuys
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Nov 20, 2012
Get the iTunes single here: http://bit.ly/WvtCDn
Get our brand new album on Amazon: http://amzn.to/QoFwML (please leave a review)
Get our Album off iTunes here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the...
Subscribe to ThePianoGuys channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_c...
Follow ThePianoGuys on Facebook:
All of the sounds you hear were created by cello, piano, and vocal textures
This video was all filmed at outdoor locations located within a 20-mile radius in Southern Utah. No green screens were used in the making of this music video. Read about the location miracle here: http://thepianoguys.com/no-such-thing...
Story behind the song:
Since the beginning of The Piano Guys, "Lord of the Rings" has been our most requested work. As we reach one million subscribers we wanted to dedicate this arrangement to our "subs." This was an intimidating project -- encompassing the power and the beauty of the many musical themes throughout the movies; capturing the emotion and the "epic" nature of the story; and all with a few cellos, a piano, and a couple Canon 5D Mark IIs. We normally write our tunes during intense compositional binges -- the bulk of our songs have been written within the period of a few days. This one was different. It was a drawn-out process during which we studied the music of The Lord of Rings, contemplated what themes to incorporate, how they could tell the story by flowing from one to the other. We also spent a lot of time finding new ways to imitate instruments from various sections of the orchestra using Steve's cellos -- from the brass section through the woodwind section to the percussion section.
We love the story of The Lord of the Rings. It is a tale that has spiritual meaning for us. We love its messages -- that "even the smallest person can change the course of the future," that "there's good in this world and it's worth fighting for," "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" ... and that everyone should have a "second breakfast." =) We love the poignant depiction of loyalty between the Fellowship of the Ring (we even included the "Fellowship" theme three times - at 0:18, 3:58 and at the end of the arrangement - to feel like a common thread in the music as it is in the story.) We wanted to paint these messages musically as vividly as possible. Like so many things in the creative realm, and to paraphrase Mr. Bilbo Baggins, the hardest part was the first step. After a brief introduction of the Hobbit Theme and Fellowship Theme (arguably the most relevant musical moments) we felt strongly that we needed to begin with the deeply touching melody that serves as the soundtrack to Arwen's vision of her future son (in the extended version of Return of the King). That gave way to a Divinely-led journey from the Shire and Rivendell through Isengard and Rohan to Gondor's victory over Mordor. We endeavored to represent each of the major allies and opposing forces in the story:
The Elves 0:44
The Ents 1:48
Mordor and Isengard 2:32
(There's also a little hint at Shelob -- see if you can find it) =)
After the music was complete we set out to find the right locations. We were determined to stay within Utah to see how well we could portray the incredible locations of Lord of the Rings without traveling too far from home. Paul, while driving with his family in St. George, noticed a grove of trees off to the side of the road across from an elementary school and convinced everyone in the car to hop out and take a look. It was as if they had stepped into another world...It's hard to believe the main locations you see in this video are just a few yards off busy roads in Southern Utah (with the exception of the mountain scenes, of course!) We didn't have as much time as we would have liked on this shoot -- the entire video was filmed within 24 hours! It's a miracle that it turned out. =) The scenes in our video are not meant to exactly "match" the Lord of The Rings locations, but rather allude to them abstractly.
If you've read this far you are a TRUE MELLON!! =)
We hope you enjoy this! Please "LIKE," share, comment, and subscribe!
Lord of the Rings Soundtrack, specifically "The Grace of Undomiel," "Isengard Unleashed," "Amon Hen," and "Many Meetings" written by Howard Shore and published by Universal Music Corp
Arrangement produced and written by Al van der Beek, Jon Schmidt and Steven Sharp Nelson
Steven Sharp Nelson: acoustic, carbon fiber, steel, and electric cellos; cello percussion; vocal textures
Jon Schmidt: piano
Al van der Beek: percussion
Recorded, mixed and mastered by Al van der Beek at TPG Studios
Video filmed, produced and edited by Paul Anderson and Tel Stewart
Many thanks to the REAL Piano Guys (our piano movers!!) Jeremy Crawford and Frank Nelson
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Lord of the Rings" on
The Piano Guys
- 47 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 4:56 Coldplay - Paradise (Peponi) African Style (ft. guest artist, Alex Boye) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys Official ChannelFeatured 16,688,796
- 4:10 Cello Wars (Star Wars Parody) Lightsaber Duel - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys Official Channel 12,804,789 views
- 4:00 Adele - Rolling in the Deep (Piano/Cello Cover) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys 11,140,762 views
- 5:34 O Come, Emmanuel - (Piano/Cello) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys Official Channel 3,003,127 views
- 4:00 Moonlight - Electric Cello (Inspired by Beethoven) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys Official Channel 6,791,147 views
- 4:26 Can't Help Falling in Love (Elvis) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys Official Channel 3,022,705 views
- 4:09 Code Name Vivaldi (Bourne Soundtrack/Vivaldi Double Cello Concerto) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys Official Channel 5,340,308 views
- 30:35 Music to help STUDY AND FOCUS 100% this music will get you on the ZONE! get focused! and work hardby relaxingrecords 750,131 views
- 3:57 The Piano Guys - Arwen's Vigilby Ryan Mayberry 165,565 views
- 3:58 Lord of the Rings Medley - Lindsey Stirlingby Lindsey Stirling 11,704,756 views
- 3:37 Waterfall (Jon Schmidt Original) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys 2,630,027 views
- 4:28 Adele - Rolling in the Deep (ft. guest Artist, Amanda Scott) - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys Official Channel 3,474,853 views
- 6:49 THE HOBBIT - Misty Mountains (Cold) + Main Themeby tarnvogL 2,009,520 views
- 7:51 Rooftops - Jesus Culture (lyric video)by TheCommissioned 2,401,025 views
- 1:52 Funniest audition on britains got talent!!!by arvin sumeguin 907,279 views
- 15:30 Cloud Atlas - Sextet (extended version)by Samuel Gazdačko 404,909 views
- 5:33 Mission Impossible (Piano/Cello/Violin) ft. Lindsey Stirling - ThePianoGuysby ThePianoGuys 3,137,809 views
- 4:10 River Flows in You & Kiss the Rain (Piano and Orchestra)by Tim Žibrat 633,943 views
- 45:22 Emotional Atyachaar - Season 4 Full Episode 2 | MMS Scandal, Blackmail!! bindassby bindass - Rest Less 283,385 views
- 4:07 Elements - Lindsey Stirling (Dubstep Violin Original Song)by lindseystomp 22,180,328 views
- Loading more suggestions...