Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 27, 2013
Following in the footsteps of his father and grandfather, Heath joined the U.S. Army. While serving in Iraq in 2003, he lost his legs above the knee in combat. After returning to the U.S., Heath discovered a love for Alpine Skiing during the course of his rehab. This love, and a lot of dedication, earned him a spot on the 2010 U.S. Paralympic Ski team and now he¹s focused on making it to Sochi.
Share this video to give breakfast to a child in need. #GreatStartsHeath
Start Story Transcript: Heath Calhoun
00:01 [On Screen] Kellogg's presents
00:04 [On Screen] Heath Calhoun, Paralympic Alpine Skier, Retired U.S. Army Staff Sgt.
00:10 [On Screen] "Whole Again"
00:12 Heath Calhoun: On the morning of November the 7th 203 a rocket propelled grenade came into the rear of the truck that I was in and caused the amputation of both of my legs above the knees.
00:22 Heath: When I made it back to Walter Reid Army Medical Center I found out about trips to Colorado for sports rehabilitation and one of those trips allowed me to mono ski for the first time and it was just something that I fell in love with.
00:38 Heath: It made me feel whole again. It was the first time since I'd lost my legs that I felt like I had them back.
00:47 Heath: It was an incredible feeling. And once I figured that out that this is something I could do.
00:57 [On Screen] start story
00:59 Heath: Self-doubt is much greater disability than a guy that's missing both of his legs.
1:09 Heath's High Performance Director and Head Coach: Very few people can do what he can do on a mono ski. He's definitely a warrior.
1:16 Heath: In Vancouver at the end of the first round of the Super Combined I was sitting in fourth. And that was the first time I'd ever done anything on the world level and one of the French guys skied up to me and he goes "Man, you really did it that run." "You know, I appreciate it," I said, "I just hope to ski like the Japanese guys are, you know, one of these days. You know they're really throwing it down." He goes, "You did ski like those guys."
1:33 Head Coach: It was a pretty amazing moment when he got nominated by the rest of our team to carry the flag in the opening ceremonies.
1:38 Heath's Father: He carried it and he carried it as high as he could. Yea, he walked in extremely proud.
1:51 Heath's Mother: He had fought for his country in Iraq and he wanted to serve his country again in the Paralympics
1:59: [On Screen] Heath is training for his chance to compete for Team USA in the Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games.
2:04 Heath: You know what I love about skiing. The freedom that I feel. This is something that I can do that will put me back on par with the way life used to be.
2:14 [On Screen] from great starts
2:15 [On Screen] come great things
2:16 [On Screen] Share this video to give breakfast to a kid in need. #GreatStartsAmy
To find out more: www.Kelloggs.com/teamusa
Give a Great Start Logo
For each "Great Start" consumers activate, Kellogg will donate $0.27, up to $540,000, to Action for Healthy Kids to help increase participation in new or expanded school breakfast programs resulting in a projected 2,000,000 million additional breakfasts served if the maximum donation is reached.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:57 Arabs Got Talent - النصف نهائيات - العبقري وبراهامby Arabs Got Talent Featured 248,918
- 2:53 Playing Forwardby KelloggsUS12,675 views
- 2:41 Share What You Loveby KelloggsUS2,476 views
- 1:01 Where will a Great Start take you today?by KelloggsUS11,378 views
- 2:30 Destinyby KelloggsUS6,390 views
- 1:30:55 Чего хотят мужчины Фильм Мелодрама 2013by Melojdramy Russkie339,830 views
- 23:27 CH7 Sunday Night 22 Sept 2013 - Cherby sacd20,985 views
- 49:59 Discovery.Health.The.Ultimate.Guide.Pregnancyby suc khoe148,200 views
- 10:16 The dirty side of El Clasico - Fights, Fouls, Dives & Red cardsby WeTalkFootball1,183,230 views
- 1:38:32 2010 World Cup - 50 Most Shocking Momentsby WeTalkFootball1,073,178 views
- 31:49 The U.S. Army's Top Secret Arctic City Under the Ice! "Camp Century" Restored Classified Filmby Bright Enlightenment726,440 views
- 11:50 The Incredible Love Story of Nick Vujicic and His Wife.by Faithrefreshed913,258 views
- 59:33 CAD-1 Presents - Sheet Set Manager in AutoCADby CAD1Webinars6,967 views
- 2:13 Chas Campbell Replica - Part 1 (2013)by Energy Unit4,049 views
- 3:15 Try to Watch Without Crying....by Inspiring Videos10,544,328 views
- 2:50 Amy's story: On losing my legs and loving my lifeby RealWomenRealAdvice196,107 views
- 5:15 AmputeeOT: Up close and personal with matured residual limbby AmputeeOT6,094 views
- 8:34 Two Points of View Wearing a Prosthesis Yes and Noby Al Pike1,557 views
- 36:09 Todd Waites arm amputee keyboardist speaking at Crosby Church (Crosby, TX)by ToddApologetix406 views
- 6:38 17 июля 2013. Олимпийские объекты в Сочи глазами честных журналистовby Julia Degtyareva51,916 views
- Loading more suggestions...