Published on Oct 3, 2013
Apple pie or pies in general are probably my favorite dessert. I LOVE a good apple pie! I learned how to make this super simple but amazingly tasty apple pie from Chef Susan Loomis in Paris. I'll never forget how excited I was when I was making it and then even more excited when I tasted it!!! You can use all kinds of seasonal fruit like plums, cherries, peaches, apricots, nectarines. The crust is flaky, buttery, and it's made in 10 seconds in a food processor!
1/4 pear sliced and pitted
1 1/2 c all purpose flour
1/4 tspn sea salt
12 tbspn unsalted chilled butter and cut into 12 pieces
1/3 c iced water
4-5 apples sliced and pitted
1 small egg
2 teaspoons water
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbspn all purpose flour
PIE CRUST RECIPE
1. Preheat the over to 425F.
2. Put the flour and salt in food process and pulse once to mix.
3. Add butter and pulse about 6 times; the butter should still be in pieces. The mixture should look like coarse meal.
4. Add ice water (note: water should be super cold in ice) and pulse 8 times, just until the dough comes together. The butter should still be visible. Add a splash more of water if it's dry.
5. On a lightly floured surface, gather the dough into a flat round.
6. Roll the pastry out into a rough circle larger than your pie dish. Move from the center out. Remember as you are rolling to lightly flour underneath the dough so that it does not stick.
7. Fill it gently into your pie pan leaving the pastry to hang over the edge of the plate.
RUSTIC FRENCH APPLE PIE RECIPE
1. Mix together 1/3 c. sugar and 2 tbspn flour. Sprinkle the bottom of the pastry in the pie pan with the sugar flour mixture.
2. Put a layer of the fruit slices and add more sugar flour mixture all over. Keep repeating until all the fruit and mixture is used.
3. Fold the edges of the pastry over the fruit.
4. Make the egg glaze by mixing an egg with a little water. Brush the dough with the egg glaze.
5. Sprinkle some sugar on top.
6. Bake for 35 min until golden brown.
7. Cool to room temperature and enjoy!
Subscribe for new videos every other Thursday:
Farm to Table Family focuses on bringing the family together through healthy, tasty, and beautiful foods. The recipes are modern takes on traditional favorites inspired by the finest and freshest seasonal ingredients.
Music by Rabbit!
(c) 2010 Rock Salt