This video is unavailable.
Why We Don't Have Flying Cars, Yet
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 29, 2010
Please read before commenting.
Predictive Innovation analysis of Flying Cars and the next natural big innovation for ground based cars. One of the biggest reasons we still don't have flying cars is the the least satisfied Outcome has been ignored. Car makers have focused on the wrong things, thus causing delays in progress.
Terrafugia still hasn't shipped Transition but is not working on automated vehicle
Mavrick crashes near school
Terrafugia Transition is not a flying car. Directly from their website It is a roadable aircraft. The reason it isn't a flying car is it doesn't better satisfy the outcomes customers want from a car. It is too small. too expensive, too inconvenient, too dangerous for the average car driver to use the way they use a car. Additionally, all of the components that make the Terrafugia safer are technology that has been around on ground based cars for decades. The video was posted in 2010 and is based on a book published in 2009 which was based on an industry report presented in 2004. Self-driving cars have been on the roads for years. IN 2011 Volvo XC60 with City Safe automatic braking sold 68% more cars in the USA than Chevy Volt, 12,932 units. Toyota has autopark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqrlN8...
Standford offers a 7 week undergraduate class teaching how to program a self-driving car CS-373, not even a senior level class. So everything occurred precisely as predicted.
There is only a loose connection between miles driven and the number of accidents. In fact the more miles a person drives the less likely they are to have an accident. Air bags and other ways of making crashes safer doesn't address the core problem, there are a lot of crashes. That is what need to be fixed to get the big increases in safety cars need. Automation is the only way to do that and it also increases efficiency, speed, and comfort.
Road fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants per year
Road fatalities per 100,000 motor vehicles
Road fatalities per 1 billion vehicle-km
Ireland 4.06 __ 7.44 __ 4.9
United Kingdom 3.59 __ 7 __ 5.7
Germany 4.5 __ 7.2 __ 7.2
Canada 9.2 __ 13 __ 8.2
USA 12.3 __ 15 __ 8.5
Austria 8.2 __12 __ 8.9
Even though the USA has a lot more deaths per car it is not much more per miles driven and the ratios are reversed for Ireland and UK. No strong correlations between miles and number of cars and fatalities.
The main problem for safety in cars is a single point of failure, the human. Automation can easily have multiple layers of redundancy. Just 6 layers of rather poor technology that is only 80% reliable would have a total reliability of (1-0.80)^6 = 99.9936%. That is 6.4 per 100,000 more than 2 times as reliable as cars driven by humans in Canada, USA, and Austria.
Any comment about population growth or claim that Terrefugia is a flying car will be deleted because it ignored the facts and misses the point. Please don't waste people's time.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:28 Flying car developer says he's $80 million closer to making sci-fi dream a reality.by sravantdFeatured 924,692
- 1:50 Super fast bike could revolutionize transportationby NTDTech 1,429,859 views
- 1:05 Pershing 115 Jumping Wake in Miamiby Paul Clarke 804,054 views
- 8:48 The Re-floating of the MT Phoenix tankerby Christiaan Kleynhans 6,042,738 views
- 1:09 Nitro boat vs whiney girlfriendby flybyrv 2,598,510 views
- 0:50 random weird carsby bigmanisere 4,146,098 views
- 2:34 Future Cars 2020by FatManandPop 1,321,256 views
- 1:15 150,000 uF Capacitor Bank for Electric Carby ElectricFormula 234,245 views
- 22:18 McDonnell Douglas DC-10 Quick Build at MFK Falken - September 3rd. 2011by Scherg64 1,162,719 views
- 1:01 Hyundai Aebulle Conceptby Shane Baxley 187,319 views
- 9:58 A look inside Google's "Driverless Car"by Vinoth Ragunathan 364,765 views
- 1:11 Iphone 6by SzG s 1,029,997 views
- 0:58 NASA Spiral Duct ESTOL Conceptby NASAPAV 523,666 views
- 82 videos Play all Flying vehiclesby ap2372
- 1:30 The strangest airplanes ever!by lorddoehner 1,192,404 views
- 1:07 Latest Japan Technology From Dalil.mycairo.netby Ahmed Saied 680,223 views
- 1:43 bmw the shark now your imagination is real by Nadir Softby Nadir Soft 144,833 views
- 0:34 exhaust slightly overdoneby EXTREMEG 1,481,340 views
- 0:56 SUPER CAT 03 OFF ROADby Naoki Hirayama 3,749,696 views
- 0:48 Worlds Fastest Car 2011! 439Km/h!!by malthe12321 5,980,285 views
- 1:36 Hal, the new Robotsuitby Joël Legendre 813,024 views
- Loading more suggestions...