Clash - I Fought The Law (live)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 28, 2008
"I Fought the Law" is a much-covered song originally recorded by Sonny Curtis and The Crickets (post Buddy Holly) in 1959. The song was famously covered by Bobby Fuller Four, who recorded a more successful version of the song in 1965, and by The Clash, who performed and recorded a punk rock version in 1976 and 1977.
Just as the song became a top ten hit, Bobby Fuller was found dead in a parked automobile near his Los Angeles, California home. The police considered the death an apparent suicide; however, many people[who?]still believe Fuller was murdered.
The Dead Kennedys, in particular, wrote and recorded a different version as a comment on Dan White's 1978 murder of San Francisco mayor George Moscone and City Supervisor Harvey Milk, and White's subsequent use of the "Twinkie defense" to influence the court to convict him of the lesser charge of manslaughter. The song, sung from White's perspective, replaced the line "I fought the law and the law won" with "I fought the law and I won".
In 1989 during Operation Just Cause, when the U.S. Army had Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega confined to the Papal Nunciature, the Vatican's Embassy, and were attempting to flush him out. US ARMY PSYOPS Units surrounded the compound and used several psychological tactics including flood lights and loud speakers. They played music like "I Fought the Law" loudly and repeatedly from the loudspeakers. The Bobby Fuller Four version of this song is ranked #175 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.
It was the existence of a 45 of the Bobby Fuller version in an American studio jukebox that inspired The Clash to record a cover version of the song in 1978. Their version first appeared on the EP The Cost of Living in May 1979 in the UK, and then later in 1979 was made part of the American edition of the Clash's eponymous album. This cover version helped gain The Clash their first taste of airplay in the States and is one of the best-known cover versions of the song. The live recording of the song, performed at the Lyceum Theatre, West End, London on December 28, 1978, features as the last piece of the 1980 film Rude Boy directed by Jack Hazan and David Mingay. The Clash were dressed all in black for that gig and the song, at that stage, was considered the film's title song. In 1988, CBS Records re-issued the single (catalog number) in 7" vinyl format, with "City of the Dead" (2:24) and "1977" (1:40) as its B-side. The song is featured as a downloadable track in the music video game series Rock Band. [info courtesy: wikipedia.org]
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "I Fought The Law" on
- 40 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Clash - I Fought The Law (live)
- 4:30 Katy Perry - Roar (Official)by KatyPerryVEVO Featured 252,987,554
- 9:31 Capitol Radio / Janie Jones / What's My Name / Garageland ~ The Clash ~ Live 1977by Jalolly56,248 views
- 2:17 Bobby Fuller Four - I Fought The Law(1966)by Johnny B.Goode362,199 views
- 14:27 THE CLASH LIVE - Paris 1980 (1/3) HQby Manu Guinarte211,307 views
- 26:19 Ramones - It's Alive (The Rainbow) 1977 GQby Rafael Maia1,881,294 views
- 56:06 rock en español mix classicosby djsoniloko6,597,780 views
- 73 videos Play all The Clash/ Joe Strummerby StayFree99999
- 1:06:01 The Clash - London Calling (Full Album)by megawavves164,729 views
- 6:46 ELO - The Orchestra - Dont bring me Downby bigpantsjayke187,896 views
- 3:00 The Clash - Tommy Gun (Live Something Else 1978)by LiveForever994193,683 views
- 2:41 Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros - I Fought The Lawby Kaleb Horton318,373 views
- 2:21 Bobby Fuller I fought the lawby David Thompson1,288,677 views
- 4:01 The Clash - Death Or Gloryby rp61productions623,996 views
- 6:12 The Clash - I'm So Bored With The U.S.A./Train In Vain (liveby crapper666301,846 views
- 3:48 The Clash - Train in Vain (Live at the Lewisham Odeon)by theclashVEVO651,801 views
- 2:54 The Pogues with Joe Strummer - I Fought The Law.by 1CelticDave153,683 views
- 5:01 The Clash - Magnificent Seven - Tom Synder Show 1981by clashman141,342,823 views
- 3:27 THE CLASH - POLICE ON MY BACKby LEEGEOJR387,222 views
- 6:03 The Clash - Police & Thievesby angeltobaros1,071,832 views
- 2:41 The Clash- I Fought The Lawby CarlosCoy135483,790 views