Noam Chomsky: How Climate Change Became a 'Liberal Hoax'
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 24, 2011
In this sixth video in the series "Peak Oil and a Changing Climate" from The Nation and On The Earth Productions, linguist, philosopher and political activist Noam Chomsky talks about the Chamber of Commerce, the American Petroleum Institute and other business lobbies enthusiastically carrying out campaigns "to try and convince the population that global warming is a liberal hoax." According to Chomsky, this massive public relations campaign has succeeded in leading a good portion of the population into doubting the human causes of global warming.
Known for his criticism of the media, Chomsky doesn't hold back in this clip, laying blame on mainstream media outlets such as the New York Times, which will run frontpage articles on what meteorologists think about global warming. "Meteorologists are pretty faces reading scripts telling you whether it's going to rain tomorrow," Chomsky says. "What do they have to say any more than your barber?" All this is part of the media's pursuit of "fabled objectivity."
Of particular concern for Chomsky is the atmosphere of anger, fear and hostility that currently reigns in America. The public's hatred of Democrats, Republicans, big business and banks and the public's distrust of scientists all lead to general disregard for the findings of "pointy-headed elitists." The 2010 elections could be interpreted as a "death knell for the species" because most of the new Republicans in Congress are global warming deniers. "If this was happening in some small country," Chomsky concludes, "it wouldn't matter much. But when it's happening in the richest, most powerful country in the world, it's a danger to the survival of the species."
Visit www.TheNation.com to learn more about "Peak Oil and a Changing Climate," and to see the other videos in the series.
Standard YouTube License
Next in Peak Oil: A VideoNation Series
- 1:23 Most Schooling Is Training for Stupidity and Conformity - Noam Chomsky on Educationby thefilmarchivesFeatured 21,139
- 36:38 James Howard Kunstler: Peak Oil and Our Financial Declineby videonation 30,851 views
- 20:04 Peak Oil and a Changing Climateby videonation 82,438 views
- 29:06 Dmitry Orlov: Peak Oil Lessons From The Soviet Unionby videonation 49,520 views
- 8:35 Noam Chomsky versus young conservativeby successfulbuild 127,710 views
- 24 videos Play all Noam Chomskyby mfatah281
- Noam Chomsky 9,949 videos9K
- 7:43 Chomsky on Liberal Disillusionment with Obamaby maldoror01 72,500 views
- 1:44 william buckley threatens to punch chomsky in the faceby politicsstuff 689,667 views
- 0:13 Bush Actually Said This in 2007by sc20910 7,854,126 views
- 2:01:00 Noam Chomsky: "Free Markets?"by Santarchy 113,539 views
- 1:22:57 Noam Chomsky - Global Hegemony: the Facts, the Images, April 20, 2011.by pdxjustice 76,419 views
- 42:00 Who Owns the World? Noam Chomsky on U.S.-Fueled Dangers, from Climate Change to Nuclear Weaponsby carvakan 49,741 views
- 56:25 Chomsky: Obama's Imperialist Policiesby Joe Friendly 158,676 views
- 6:21 Chomsky on Religionby Travis Kitchens 224,074 views
- 2:47:38 Manufacturing Consent - Noam Chomsky and the Mediaby xerojreffaj 99,408 views
- 32:50 Alarming Discussion with Professor Noam Chomsky Regarding Our Nation and Worldby Ken Hildebrandt 86,693 views
- 2:47:16 Noam Chomsky Manufacturing Consentby 306cas 110,228 views
- 4:06 Noam Chomsky in defense of Ron Paulby Ken Hildebrandt 118,838 views
- 7:34 A MUST SEE Interview of Noam Chomskyby promonument 470,287 views
- 3:47 Chomsky Hitler History Lessonby RepresentativePress 88,080 views