Dieter Roth: Selves (Retrospective)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 21, 2011
http://www.vernissage.tv | Dieter Roth (1930 - 1998) was one of the great universal artists of the 20th century. He was a graphic artist and designed furniture, he painted and drew, he created sculptures and expansive installations, working with all sorts of materials. He was a poet, a musician and a publisher and he filmed, photographed and collected. The retrospective exhibition at Aargauer Kunsthaus in Switzerland shows that in manifold ways his work continually revolves around the self.
More info: http://vernissage.tv/blog/2011/08/22/...
Dieter Roth (1930-1998) is considered as one of the great universal artists of the 20th century. Multi-talented, he worked in all kind of media: drawing, painting, sculpture, installation, photography, video. He was also a poet, musician and graphic designer. Dieter Roth published, collected, and designed furniture. The current retrospective at Aargauer Kunsthaus in Aarau / Switzerland is titled Selves (Selbste) and offers the rare occasion to have an extensive look at Dieter Roth's numerous self portraits.
This video takes you through the exhibition during the opening night. The show starts with early drawings, paintings and sculptures. In his chocolate busts from the late 1960s he subjects his own image to decay. Also on display is an extensive group of works of his series Selbstbildnis als..., the assemblage Flüchtiges Kleiderbild, and works realized in collaboration with Arnulf Rainer. The exhibition concludes with the large-scale video installation Solo Szenen (1997-98), that spreads Dieter Roth's everyday life on 128 TV monitors.
Dieter Roth was born in 1930 in Hannover / Germany. In the 1960s he took part in Happenings and Fluxus events. In collaboration with Daniel Spoerri and André Thomkins he created works of Eat-Art. He also realized works together with Richard Hamilton, with whom he shared a long-standing friendship. Dieter Roth participated in the 4th documenta in Kassel in 1968 and (posthumously) in the Documenta11 in 2002. He died in 1998 in Basel / Switzerland.
"Self-interrogation thus became a concern of overriding importance to Dieter Roth and the way in which he unrelentingly made his own self the focus of his work, while at the same time deconstructing it by all available means, is unique." (exhibition text)
The exhibition runs until November 6, 2011 and will subsequently be on view at the Museum der Moderne in Salzburg.
Dieter Roth: Selves (Retrospective) at Aargauer Kunsthaus, Aarau / Switzerland. Opening reception, August 18, 2011.
Standard YouTube License
- 8:40 Peter Doig at Schirn Kunsthalle Frankfurtby VernissageTV17,940 views
- 11:49 Galerie Lahumière at Art Basel 2013by VernissageTV753 views
- 6:04 Dieter Roth. Björn Roth. Inaugural Exhibition at Hauser & Wirth New York 18th Streetby VernissageTV892 views
- 4:30 Imi Knoebel: Selected Worksby VernissageTV2,683 views
- 57:18 Oscar Murillo and Gregor Muir in conversation at Dover Street Arts Clubby ICA1,956 views
- 28:31 The Fountain of Tears — Beauty for Ashesby ZolaLevittPresents1,459 views
- 13:58 Dieter Roth. Björn Rothby HauserWirth1793 views
- 30:42 Mental Illness and Psychiatry in Russia: Diagnosis, Management, Treatment, Historyby The Film Archives21,774 views
- 11 videos Play all ZELLULOID. FILM OHNE KAMERAby SCHIRNKUNSTHALLE
- 21:07 Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris, Franceby Mxsmanic29,696 views
- 11:44 Meet the artist - Luc Tuymans: 'The first three hours of painting are like hell'by TheGuardian17,212 views
- 9:42 محمد العوضي - القذيفه 23 - مع نجيب الزامل .. مره اخرى 5/5by 3bdAllah868,611 views
- 12:49 Dieter Roth and Bjorn Roth at Hauser & Wirth, NYC (April 2013)by marcelo flaibani166 views
- 14:29 RICHARD HAMILTON, BRYAN FERRY.movby widestreamfilms6,436 views
- 11:37 Building a wooden boxby Matthias Wandel1,547,196 views
- 7:39 was guckst du - Sehenswerte Doku _ Brutaler als die Hells Angels _ Mafia in Hamburg - 2012 2012by stpauli unsereliebe1,699 views
- 9:55 Peter Fischli & David Weiss Der Lauf Der Dinge Aby Quesevayan ax111,655 views
- 7:32 Venice Architecture Biennale 2012by VernissageTV8,503 views
- 10:03 zeger reyers - rotating kitchenby ROGROBO28,402 views
- 5:25 Pieter Bruegel the Elder (ca 152530--1569) Art History, The Metropolitan Museum of Artby kunstskole1,414 views