Video Tour of New York City's Union Square: "All Along Broadway" Series
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 16, 2010
We continue our video tour of Broadway Avenue, heading north through Manhattan with our next stop being Union Square- a lovely spot to be on any given day in New York City!
Broadway runs north to south, covering Bowling Green all the way to the top of Manhattan into the Bronx. Its' route covers many neighborhoods, one being the exciting Union Square -- one of the city's most popular meeting places for locals and travelers alike!
New York Habitat http://www.nyhabitat.com presents "All Along Broadway", a video series where we will break down what each neighborhood has to offer! Our last episode, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwx_lo... , focused on the Financial District so don't forget to take a look!
Take a look at New York Habitat's blog, as well, for more info on our video of Union Square! http://www.nyhabitat.com/blog/2010/05...
The actual history why it is called Union Square is from the simplicity of the intersection of Broadway and 4th Avenue. However, New Yorkers were very happy with such famed streets crossing, that they had to call it "Union" Square
Union Square Park
Re-designed in 1872 by Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux, who also designed the famed Central Park. Political and Social leaders array themselves amongst the park, one being the equestrian statue of George Washington in 1856, and the statue of Abraham Lincoln in 1870.
With a statue of Charity, emptying her jug of water aided by a child, the James Fountain has quite an interesting symbolic history. Known as a Temperance Fountain, which were created in the US in hopes that by having easy access to safe drinking water this would keep people from consuming alcohol.
Statue of Gandhi
Raised in 1986, the statue of Mahatma Gandhi, a non-violent social and political leader in India who inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world, is a representation of Union Square's history and devotion towards social activism.
In the southern part of the square you will find a massive eye-turning wall sculpture that sporadically expels steam from the center-point. Created by Kristin Jones and Andrew Ginzel in 1999. It cost $4.2 million to construct and is one of the largest private commissions of public art in the US.
Beside the Metronome there are 15 digits called "The Passage" which display the time in 24 hour format by the left side showing the time-meaning the hour, minutes, and seconds. The right, showing 7 digits representing the time remaining time we have left in the 24 hour day!
Greenmarket & Holiday Market
In New York's Greenmarket, established in 1976, you will be able to find fruit, vegetables, and other farms products in open market surrounding the Union Square Park. The Greenmarket is opened on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays from 8 am to 6 pm. You can always find an assortment of farmer-fresh local produce!
The Union Square Market is also a great place to check out if you're in New York City during the holiday season! It is held from November 23 to December 24 and an array of different vendors from arts and crafts to jewelry made by local artists (which sports a jewelry store that creates jewelry made from preserved real-life orchids!)
Shopping and Cuisine in and around Union Square
There is an abundance of stores from fashion to bookstores! The Strand Bookstore being one of New Yorkers most prized possessions, which is located on 12th street and offers "18 miles" of both new and used books. There is also plenty of family fun including a bowling alley and game center on University Place at 12th street!
New York Habitat offers many apartments all over New York http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apa... . It is always more economical to opt for one of our rentals that fully accommodate you and your family in a number of ways!
We have a great vacation rental http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apa... in the East Village, New York, just one subway stop from Union Square! With Space for up to 3 people, it comes furnished with a queen sized bed, a television with cable and a fully-equipped kitchen!
There is also this lovely 1 bedroom accommodation http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apa... in Chelsea located just blocks away from Union Square, complete with laundry in the building. Tenants will also have a rooftop terrace, which has views to the north of New York City's skyline!
That closes our tour of Union Square! Don't forget to check out all our NYC Vacation Rentals http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apa... , as well as our other Furnished NYC Apartments at http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apa... ! And comment if you know of something we missed!
Standard YouTube License
- 2:52 Travel New York: The Upper West Sideby soniastravels Featured 12,819
- 41:10 Good Luck JESSIE NYC Christmas (Full Episode)by ShowOnAir181,367 views
- 5:29 "All Along Broadway", Manhattan, New York City: Touring the Booming Financial Districtby New York Habitat11,439 views
- 6:43 New York City : Video Tour of the East Village (Manhattan, NY)by New York Habitat31,377 views
- 5:12 Columbus Circle, New York City - Video tour "Along Broadway" - Lincoln center, Time Warner Centerby New York Habitat13,541 views
- 6:51 Broadway, New York City - Video tour of Madison Square, Herald Square, Macy's and Flatiron Buildingby New York Habitat25,962 views
- 6:17 Paris - Video tour of les Buttes Chaumont (Belleville, La Mouzaïa, Jourdain)by New York Habitat4,367 views
- 5:59 New York City, Lower East Side of Manhattan Video Tour - Part 1by New York Habitat43,235 views
- 49 videos Play all YOGA VIDEOSby newsharbor
- 3:36 New York City - Video Tour of Greenwich Village, Manhattanby New York Habitat66,804 views
- 5:03 Chinatown, New York City - Video tour of Chatham Square, MOCA & Columbus Parkby New York Habitat97,212 views
- 6:48 Walk down the Times Square in New Yorkby Timur Kupaev40,668 views
- 4:45 New York City - Video tour of Flatiron District, Manhattan (Part 1)by New York Habitat22,831 views
- 23:44 A TOH Brownstone In Brooklyn | The New York City House, Episode 1 (2009)by This Old House22,438 views
- 2:48 Free things to do in New York City Part 2 - Free Museums and Musicby New York Habitat9,999 views
- 2:41 Free Things to do in New York City Part 1: Great views for Freeby New York Habitat18,761 views
- 4:59 New York City - Video Tour of SoHo, Manhattanby New York Habitat104,877 views
- 4:57 New York City - Video tour of the Meatpacking District, Manhattan (Part 2)by New York Habitat4,059 views
- 8:15 Best Cupcakes in New York Cityby NancySaw26,386 views
- 4:47 Harlem, New York City - Video Tour of West Harlem, Central Harlem & Apollo Theaterby New York Habitat49,318 views