Bus 52 Presents: Hannah's Socks
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Nov 12, 2012
When then four-year old Hannah Turner was volunteering with her mom at a local homeless shelter in Toledo, Ohio, during Thanksgiving 2004, she did something that would make any parent proud. Seeing a homeless man was wearing no socks under his tattered shoes, she promptly sat down and started removing her own socks to give to him.
Hannah explains, "I thought he was going to be cold ... I was thinking that I could give him my socks." In response to this touching moment, Hannah's mother, Doris, suggested they go and buy some new socks for those in the shelter.
"Then we went to the store and we got socks and then we gave them to the homeless people," says Hannah. Then bought 100 pairs of socks that day and donated them to everyone in the shelter.
Thinking that they had done a good deed for the year, and certainly raised a very thoughtful daughter, the Turners went about life as usual. Vic Turner, Hannah's father and Senior Vice-President of Hannah's Socks, says that, "We just thought, 'we did our good deed, our kids learnt a good lesson, we're happy with that'."
That was until the next year when Hannah and her mother were once again volunteering at Thanksgiving in the Cherry Street Mission.
This time, "We got some friends involved, some family members," says Vic, "and we bought more socks and gave them to Cherry Street Mission and thought, 'what a very touching thing to do, what a generous, kind daughter we have'."
The news of a small girl and her family who were giving out free socks spread quickly throughout the shelters and nonprofit organizations in Toledo, and the Turners began to receive phone calls asking if they had more socks to donate.
Vic explains that, "It just became sort of a grassroots thing that we decided we couldn't do it financially just on our own. We couldn't just keep buying hundreds of pairs of socks at a time and giving them to various shelters in the Toledo area ... so we ended up starting a charity."
In 2007, Hannah's Socks became a registered nonprofit and they started by slowly raising money to cover their administrative costs and collecting socks.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:59 5 Historical Misconceptions Rundownby CGP Grey Featured 3,033,385
- 4:24 Bus 52 Presents: Healing with Horsesby Bus52videos571 views
- 3:24 Bus 52 Presents: Hero Pets 4 Hero Vetsby Bus52videos893 views
- 5:13 Bus 52 Presents: Art Feedsby Bus52videos919 views
- 4:53 Bus 52 Presents: Farm Rescueby Bus52videos1,397 views
- 41:08 Proyecto: Sandalias decoradas con Cintas / Programa del 13/05/2013by De Victoria Parra55,227 views
- 28:18 DIY Arm Knitting - 30 Minute Inifinity Scarfby Audra Kurtz886,315 views
- 19:36 How to Knit: A Complete Introduction for Beginners Part 1by KnittingHelp.com353,723 views
- 18:27 Bulky Fall Scarf DIY: Arm Knitting Tutorialby Lacey Keith32,286 views
- 12:02 How to Make a Sock Monster 101by greengrackle3,130 views
- 7:00 How to Knit - Cast On Beginner (with closed captions)by GoodKnitKisses453,330 views
- 1:03:48 How To Loom Knit Socks on a Sock Loomby The Crochet Crowd23,128 views
- 11:26 Swap Meet Haul (mostly Bodyline) and Sock Dreams Review!by makelovelyblog755 views
- 10:22 Arm Knit an Infinity Scarf in 30 Minutes - The Original Tutorial - With Simply Maggie (HD QUALITY)by SimplyMaggieblog637,469 views
- 30:00 How to knit a sock on a round knitting loom socksby americanknitter18,347 views
- 1:47 The UK's Biggest Feet: Teenager Carl Griffithsby Barcroft TV269,435 views
- 15:55 Campout Fingerless Mittsby iKNITS56,169 views
- 38:05 How to knit socks - video tutorialby InterUnet33,297 views
- 6:11 Bus Driver Uppercuts Female Passenger (Video)by The Young Turks5,492,926 views
- 10:17 OK D-DAY 2013 CEF Sword Beach and Caen (GoPro Hero2 HD) part 3by JTBRMB08150 views
- Loading more suggestions...