Paul Ryan attempts an adult conversation on debt & entitlement reform
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 23, 2010
Congressman Paul Ryan continues his efforts to advance an adult conversation on the urgent need to protect Social Security for current and future generations. Ryan's efforts were met -- again -- with false attacks earlier today on CNN's Situation Room in a spirited exchange with Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz. By pushing desperate demagoguery and no solutions, leading Democrats threaten to shred the critical social safety net as our crushing burden of debt explodes and our critical health and retirement security programs collapse.
Facts on Social Security and Ryan's Roadmap
Should politicians continue to cling to the unsustainable status quo, Social Security will not be able to meet its promise to our seniors, imposing painful benefit cuts on those most reliant on this critical program. The Social Security Administration continues to warn of across-the-board 22% benefit cuts for seniors in the heart of their retirement when the Trust Fund is exhausted. Social Security continues to run annual cash deficits, with over $5 trillion in unfunded liabilities.
To meet this challenge, Congressman Paul Ryan offered an invitation for solutions -- putting forward a specific plan the Congressional Budget Office and the Social Security Administration's Chief Actuaries confirmed would save Social Security, making it sustainably solvent for current and future generations. Ryan's legislative proposal -- H.R. 4529, A Roadmap for America's Future -- makes no changes to Social Security for those 55 and older, while offering future seniors the same health and retirement security options enjoyed by Members of Congress.
- Ryan's reforms make no changes in the program for Americans 55 and older, while strengthening Social Security so it will be there for future generations.
- Ryan's Roadmap secures the social safety net where it is most needed -- providing an increased benefit for low-income individuals, while making modest adjustments in the continued growth of benefits for wealthier seniors.
- At the center of the false attacks are Ryan's proposal to offer future seniors (those now 54 and younger) the option of guaranteed, personal accounts to help fulfill the mission of retirement security.
- Under Ryan's Roadmap, future beneficiaries would remain in the traditional government-run system, unless they choose to direct a portion of their payroll taxes to guaranteed personal accounts, owned by the individual, managed by the Social Security Administration, and guaranteed by the Federal government. Neither the traditional system or optional accounts system would be privatized.
- In the personal-accounts system, the accounts are managed and overseen by Social Security Administration - not a stockbroker or private investment firm. Those choosing the personal-accounts option would select from a handful of low-risk, government-regulated options — just as Members of Congress and Federal employees do with the Thrift Savings Plan.
- Ryan's Roadmap includes a fully-financed, government-backed guarantee so that individuals would get back, at minimum, every dime contributed to the optional, Social Security-managed accounts offered to those now 54 and younger.
- Social Security Administration Actuaries on Ryan's Roadmap: http://www.roadmap.republicans.budget...
- Congressional Budget Office on Roadmap: http://www.roadmap.republicans.budget...
- Statement from Paul Ryan on the need for an adult conversation, and fact sheet: http://budget.house.gov/News/Document...
- Setting the Record Straight: http://www.roadmap.republicans.budget...
- PolitiFact: http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/s...
- PolitiFact: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-met...
- FactCheck.org: http://www.factcheck.org/2010/09/demo...
- The True Threat to the Safety Net: http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/...
Standard YouTube License
- 4:09 Andrew Klavan's Economic Smackdown: Paul Ryan vs. Barack Obamaby PJ Media Featured 86,171
- 3:46 Ryan to Geithner - Why propose a budget you admit is not credible, not sustainable?by RepPaulRyan143,844 views
- 8:10 Paul Ryan on MSNBC's Hardball with Chris Matthewsby RepPaulRyan173,351 views
- 1:04 Paul Ryan uncovers another inconvenient truth in health care billby RepPaulRyan150,783 views
- 5:31 Paul Ryan and David Walker on Entitlementsby RepPaulRyan18,388 views
- 7:55 Chris Matthews gets lesson on Constitution by Citizen wearing pistol 13-8-09 8-13-09 13 August 2009by Wez Theaussie297,442 views
- 3:10 Speech that got Breitbart assassinated by Obama (NDAA)by iwillspyonyou614,919 views
- 7:54 Ann Coulter Completely Humiliates Keith Olbermann On TVby tomcuvagrad599,185 views
- 7:53 Paul Ryan teaching Economics to Chris Matthews.flvby panhandlepatriots123,562 views
- 6:59 Chris Matthews Gets Schooled By Tea Partierby Mcbogsters505,963 views
- 4:03 GATES CASE: Ann Coulter Teaches Al Sharpton & All Racists A Lesson pt2 7/30/09by USArgos473,273 views
- 2:13 Laura Ingraham takes down smarmy Chris Matthewsby gdz43211,120,907 views
- 2:53 Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) To Obama: "You're Not Listening" To The People!by Greg Hengler133,723 views
- 2:13 Ouch! Watch Rep. Paul Ryan Spank Former Obama Advisor Austan Goolsbeeby jim hoft195,490 views
- 7:04 Liberal Hate Caught red handed with hate speech towards FreedomWorksby christysgoodlife298,098 views
- 5:33 IRS Hearings - Paul Ryan Nails it !!!!!by David Anton41,897 views
- 2:23 Rep. Paul Ryan Slams liberal msnbc- Lets Have An Honest Debate About Healthcare Reformby AlreadyKnownAsX291,016 views
- 6:16 Bill Maher on Pope Francis and Atheismby TheWeekinDoubt134,437 views
- 10:48 Paul Ryan's GOP Response to State of the Union 2011by CBSNewsOnline39,032 views
- 2:50 Paul Ryan Takes Chris Matthews "To School" On Deficits and Taxesby FirstPatriots492,771 views
- Loading more suggestions...