Justice Scalia on Cameras in the Supreme Court (C-SPAN)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 26, 2012
During a C-SPAN Q&A interview, Justice Antonin Scalia discusses Cameras in the Supreme Court. Watch the complete interview on Sunday, July 29 at 8:00 p.m. ET on C-SPAN.
SCALIA: I was for it when I first joined the Court and switched and remain on that side of it. I am against it because I do not believe, as the proponents of television in the Court assert, that the purpose of televising our hearings would be educate the American people. That's not what it would end up doing. If I really thought it would educate the American people I would be all for it. If the American people sat down and watched our proceedings gavel-to-gavel they would never again ask, as I'm sometimes asked, "Justice Scalia, why do you have to be a lawyer to be on the Supreme Court? The constitution doesn't say-- " no the constitution doesn't say so. But, if you know what our real business is, if you know that we're not usually contemplating our naval "should there be a right to this or that, should there be a right to abortion, should there be a right to homose-- " that's not usually what we're doing. We're usually dealing with the Internal Revenue Code. With ERISA. With Patent Law. With all sorts of dull stuff that only a lawyer could understand and perhaps get interested. If the American people saw all of that they would be educated. But they wouldn't see all of that. You're outfit would carry it all, to be sure, but what most of the American people would see would be 30 second, 15 second takeouts from our argument and those takeouts would not be characteristic of what we do. They would be uncharacteristic.
C-SPAN: Yeah, now, but what we see is an article in a newspaper that's out of context with what you say is --
SCALIA: That's fine. But it's...people read that and say "well it's an article in a newspaper and the guy may be lying or he may be misinformed." But somehow when you see it live, an excerpt pulled out of an entire, when you see it live, it has a much greater impact. No, I am sure it will mis-educate the American people, not educate.
C-SPAN: Well, we get the audio. We get the audio at the end of the week.
SCALIA: Yeah, but the audio is not of interest to the 15 second take out people and the 30 second take out people. The audio isn't of interest precisely because it doesn't have that kind of impact.
C-SPAN: But the first amendment doesn't go, "takeouts are not good. We can't have those 15 second sound bites."
SCALIA: The First Amendment has nothing to do with whether we have to televise our proceedings.
C-SPAN: But aren't you an advocate -- ?
SCALIA: You're saying the First Amendment requires us to televise our proceedings?
C-SPAN: No, I didn't say that. I just said that you're a big advocate of the first amendment.
SCALIA: I am indeed and it doesn't require us to televise our proceedings.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:21:08 Legally Speaking: Antonin Scaliaby UCTV, University of California TelevisionFeatured 29,044
- 4:34 Justice Scalia on Oral Arguments & Personal Relationships on the Court (C-SPAN)by CSPAN 2,833 views
- 4:01 Justice Scalia on Arizona Immigration Case (C-SPAN)by CSPAN 15,448 views
- 3:36 Justice Scalia discusses Piers Morgan Interview (C-SPAN)by C-SPAN 8,366 views
- 2:37 Justice Scalia on Citizens United (C-SPAN)by C-SPAN 7,163 views
- 1:35:57 Antonin Scalia and Stephen Breyer debate the Constitutionby Patrick Ishmael 21,229 views
- 23:56 Justice Antonin Scalia Speaks Out on Fox News Sundayby yazakchattiest 21,502 views
- 8:29 Scalia: 'Racial Entitlement' in Voting Rights Actby TheYoungTurks 30,145 views
- 11:23 Judge Goes Nuclear On Obama: Why Do You Apologize To Muslims And Lie To Americansby BirtherReport.com 43,721 views
- 6:23 Top 5 WORST Homophobic Quotes from Justice Scaliaby TheYoungTurks 47,513 views
- 13:15 Justice Scalia On Life Part 1by CBS News 39,959 views
- 32:00 President Obama Delivers Morehouse College Commencement Addressby The White House 46,008 views
- 11:47 Judge Jeanine "Fact Blasts" Hillary & Obama Administration on Benghazi Attack - 5-11-13by RightSightings 172,049 views
- 4:18 Real Time with Bill Maher (5-17-13) - Republicans Hard-on for Obamaby arboachg 28,217 views
- 3:09 Justice Antonin Scalia talks about Roe v. Wade.by CNN 14,230 views
- 8:13 Justice Scalia Annoyed Prop 8 DOMA Supreme Court Hearingby PeoplesUnderground's channel 10,510 views
- 3:35 Confusing Question of the Day - Obama, IRS, and Benghaziby Jimmy Kimmel Live 247,459 views
- 1:37 Barack Obama: Criminal or Incompetent????by drinkingwithbob 47,925 views
- 0:36 Obama Calls Over Marines to Shield Himself and Turkish PM from Rainby politicalturkey 152,738 views
- 48:48 Uncommon Knowledge with Justice Antonin Scaliaby HooverInstitution 17,335 views
- Loading more suggestions...