- Venture Capital - Nate Redmond of Rustic Canyon on TWiVC #69
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 28, 2012
1:00 Welcome everyone to episode 69, season 3 of This Week in Venture Capital. My guest today is Nate Redmond. Nate, tell us a bit about Rustic Canyon Venture Partners.
4:30 What changes going on right now do you perceive in our industry?
8:00 Is your model still a hands on approach?
10:15 Do you the LPs are more open-minded to single VC funds today?
12:00 It seems like there's a shift in the VC world to more ex-entrepreneurs. Is that a real trend?
15:00 Question from the chat: Are VCs moving to be consulting companies in some parts?
16:15 Thank you to Detroit Venture Partners for their support of the show.
22:00 Mark's book recommendation: American Pastoral by Philip Roth
23:00 Question from the audience: Do VCs have a preference for startups that choose to work with incubators?
28:00 Nate discusses his partnership with the company Science, run by Mike Jones.
30:30 Mike Jones is one of the five most prolific angel investors in southern California. And I suspect that, at Myspace, he got a lot of experience on how to run a product at scale.
33:15 Have you noticed a change from 2003 to now in the "serendipity factor" of Santa Monica?
36:00 Nate: The culture in LA is by far the most entrepreneurial culture in the country. I saw a study out of the Kauffman foundation that said the rate of startups in LA is higher than anywhere else in the country.
39:00 Tell me a little bit about Gaikai and how you got involved.
41:45 As a publisher, did I have to do a lot more engineering work to make it available for Gaikai?
44:00 Thank you to Scott Walker of Walker Corporate Law for supporting the program. Everyone follow him @scottedwalker.
47:30 Savings.com, which was one of your investments, was recently acquired, right?
48:30 Nate's bio, in brief.
49:30 What was it like to work with Clayton Christensen?
57:45 Nate: The differences between Gaikai and OnLive's development.
59:00 So you were only an associate at Rustic Canyon for a few years before you became a partner. Tell me a little bit about that journey.
1:07:00 Thank you to our sponsors, Detroit Venture Partners and Walker Corporate Law, and also thank you to Nate Redmond of Rustic Canyon Venture Partners. We'll see you next time.
FOLLOW ON TWITTER
Walker Corporate Law: @scottedwalker
Detroit Venture Partners: @dvptweets
Special Thanks for the Theme Song!
"Man In My Town" by Isaac Ft. G Scott and Boldy James
Next in - Venture Capital: Season 2 Episodes
- 1:28:16 - Venture Capital - Jonathan Strauss of Awe.sm on TWiVC #67by ThisWeekIn 3,139 views
- 53:15 - Venture Capital - Andrew Siegel of Advance Publications - TWiVC #68by ThisWeekIn 4,219 views
- 1:19:58 - Venture Capital - John Frankel- This Week in Venture Capital #71by ThisWeekIn 4,273 views
- 1:58:43 PandoMonthly: Fireside Chat With Thrillist CEO Ben Lererby PandoDaily 3,428 views
- 1:01:39 Venture Capital 101by FuquaSchOfBusiness 14,961 views
- 1:43:26 M6 Capital terre - Comment tous se nourrir...by Pierart Patrice 58,250 views
- 1:20:36 Dr. Clayton Christensen discusses disruption in higher educationby AcademicPartnerships 2,006 views
- 12:33 Venture Capital and Private Equity - Part 1by ABNDigital 2,191 views
- 10:01 How Venture Capital Works PT1by SVBFinancialGroup 31,562 views
- 1:23:58 Guy Kawasaki: The Top 10 Mistakes of Entrepreneursby UCBerkeleyHaas 43,802 views
- 17:10 How to Identify a Lean Startup by Ash Maurya - Capital Factory Demo Day 2010by capitalfactory 6,551 views
- 5:22 Venture Capitalist Mary Meeker Brings her Internet Trends Report to D10 Conferenceby WSJDigitalNetwork 3,026 views
- 1:19:37 Entrepreneurship Week Speaker: Guy Kawasakiby notredamebusiness 44,166 views
- 47:09 12 Lessons Steve Jobs Taught Guy Kawasakiby SVBFinancialGroup 297,448 views
- 1:23:40 This Week in Venture Capital - Thomas McInerney, angel investorby ThisWeekIn 9,715 views
- 4:55:28 Google I/O 2013 Keynoteby CNETTV 34,333 views
- 1:22:04 Guy Kawasaki presents 'The Art of the Start' for Informatics Venturesby EdinburghUniversity 74,281 views
- 1:16:27 - Startups - Howard Lindzon of StockTwits -TWiST #309by ThisWeekIn 2,968 views
- 9:26 Angel Investorsby USparkFoundryTV 3,764 views