How to Draw the Female Eye, Step by Step, From a Side Profile Perspective
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 31, 2010
Today you are going to learn to draw the female eye from profile view. I went the extra mile to make this easy for you! Click the link in the videos description to download a printable PDF to assist you while you draw. The PDF has pictures and text and it is sequenced identically to the video. Use both resources to master the skills that I am trying to teach you in this lesson.....Grab your pencils and paper and lets get ready to draw.
Step 1: Draw the shape that you see. It looks like a heart shape turned to the side.
Step 2: Create the shape for the eyebrow at the top of the heart shape.
Step 3: Create the small bowl shape at the bottom. Notice that it overlaps the heart shape. Also notice how small it is compared to the heart shape.
Step 4: Create the shape that was just added. It looks like a sideways triangle with rounded sides. Notice its placement within the heart shape and its proximity to the bowl shape.
Step 5: Add the U shape for the iris. Notice that you can see the bottom of the iris, but not the top. Also notice that the iris is more oval like, rather than circular, since the head is turned.
Step 6: Add the shape to the inner corner of the eye.
Step 7: Add the crown like shape for the upper eye lashes. Notice that the longest ones seem to be on the inner corner of the eye. (This is actually not the case, the other lashes are foreshortened)
Step 8: Add the lashes on the inner corner of the eye.
Step 9: Add the bottom eye lashes. Notice that they are much shorter than the top lashes.
Step 10: Add the Pupil. Since the head is turned, the pupil is oval like.
Step 11: Add the highlight shapes that I just added
Step 12: Start shading the darkest areas first. The upper lashes and the pupil will be the darkest areas. Build it up slowly in "cross hatched" layers (the video will demonstrate). Dont do it all at once.
Step 13: Shade in the Iris. Notice that it is not as dark as the pupil. The shape added in step 6 is part if the eyelid. Shade it alightly lighter than the iris.
Step 14: Shade in the eyebrow. This can vary in tone depending upon hair color and make up. In this case, I left it lighter in tone than the eyelashes.
Step 15: Fill in the areas around the eye with hatching. Refer to the photo (above) as a reference. Use up to a 4B pencil at this stage.
Step 16: LIGHTLY shade in the white part of the eye (with the exception of the highlight areas drawin in before). Hint: The two lightest tones will be the highlight in the eye, followed by the bony area directly under the eyebrow. By this point, feel free to use up to a 6B pencil to help with the darker tones.
Step 17: Use the blending stump (tortillion) to smudge and spread your hatching.
Step 18: Develop the tones more by hatching over the smudges (from the tortillion). If you wish, smudge some more.
Step 19: Put on the finishing touches.
Step 20: Finished
Available in Closed captioning
Standard YouTube License
Next in How to Draw Step by Step
- 6:09 How to Draw an Eye - Step by Stepby Proko Featured 172,468
- 9:58 Painting Tips- Glazing: Finishing a Painting with Transparent Oil Paintby Merrill Kazanjian183,828 views
- 11:02 How to Draw Praying Hands Step by Step (Albrecht Durer)by Merrill Kazanjian114,452 views
- 10:14 How to Draw a Skull Step by Stepby Merrill Kazanjian151,260 views
- 11:05 HOW TO CONCEAL EYE BAGS! MAKEUP ARTIST TRICK!by Beauty and the Boutique115,000 views
- 4:27 How to Draw a Water Drop Step by Stepby Fine Art Tips2,886,805 views
- 12 videos Play all Experimental Art Processesby kazanjianm
- 3:33 Guy Penrod - The Broken Onesby TheSevenTrip46,523 views
- 9:57 Sketching a Face- Basic Proportionsby Sycra2,295,227 views
- 6:44 How to Draw a Noseby Drawing and Painting Tutorials - TheVirtualInstructor.com1,246,208 views
- 8:45 How to draw eyes nose and mouthby JonothonStar259,616 views
- 8:08 How to Draw the Female Face 2by Juan Solorzano1,768,331 views
- 7:00 How to draw iris & eye tutorialby Brian S437,416 views
- 13:51 How to Draw the Female Faceby Juan Solorzano2,758,654 views
- 12:48 How To Draw Hairby matthew39arch1,116,225 views
- 10:04 How To Draw A Realistic Eyeby Circle Line Art School344,322 views
- 5:40 How to Draw a Smile, Mouth, Lips, Teethby Merrill Kazanjian301,166 views
- 6:33 How to Draw the Hand Step by Step- Pointing Finger Uncle Sam Gestureby Merrill Kazanjian418,428 views
- 4:13 Drawing a Roseby SakkaDavid4,497,517 views