Carlos Gomez's Stellar Leaping Catch Robs Joey Votto HR - Cincinnati Reds Vs Milwaukee Brewers
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 9, 2013
Cincinnati Reds vs Milwaukee Brewers Recap July 08, 2013
The crowd roared as the Milwaukee Brewers looked toward center field in amazement and Gomez hopped around in front of the wall. When he flipped his glove open as he ran toward the infield, it was over.
Gomez robbed Joey Votto of a potential go-ahead homer with a spectacular catch for the final out, saving the Brewers' 4-3 victory over the Cincinnati Reds on Monday night.
"When you save the game like that or when you hit a walk-off home run, it's amazing," Gomez said. "I never hit one, but I steal home run to win the game. It's something special, like you can't wait to get home to see it over and over."
Jonathan Lucroy homered for the third consecutive game for last-place Brewers, who had dropped three of four. Jean Segura had three hits off Homer Bailey in the right-hander's first start since his second career no-hitter.
But Gomez made the biggest play of the game when he used a perfectly timed jump to grab Votto's drive, sending a charge through the crowd on an otherwise sleepy night at Miller Park. The dramatic conclusion came after pinch-hitter Derrick Robinson walked with two outs.
Votto made an appeal to see the ball in Gomez's glove while he celebrated in the outfield, and sure enough, it was there.
"The whole thing is really a random occurrence and it's what makes baseball so special," Votto said. "Carlos has had a fantastic year this year. Today he didn't have a good game offensively and he goes out and makes a game-changing play on the defensive end.
"You know, I did everything I could, and he made a great play."
Kyle Lohse (5-6) pitched into the seventh inning for his fourth consecutive winning decision.
Bailey was coming off an absolute gem at home against San Francisco last Tuesday night, when he struck out nine and allowed just one baserunner on a seventh-inning walk. The impressive performance in the Reds' 3-0 victory gave Bailey a chance to become the second pitcher in major league history to throw consecutive no-hitters.
That opening was slammed shut in the first inning.
Segura dumped a 1-2 pitch into right field for a base hit with one out. He then stole second and went to third on a throwing error by catcher Devin Mesoraco before Lucroy hit his 11th homer to give the Brewers a 2-1 lead.
"It was just one of those days," Bailey said. "Just never could find a rhythm."
Segura added an RBI double in the second and an infield hit in the fifth. The All-Star shortstop reached base four times and leads the NL with 113 hits.
Chris Heisey hit a solo homer for Cincinnati, which has lost three of four since taking three in a row against the Giants. Jay Bruce and pinch hitter Xavier Paul each had an RBI single.
Bailey (5-7) was replaced by Logan Ondrusek after he hit Segura with a pitch with two outs in the sixth. He allowed a season-high 10 hits and walked three.
"He got out of some tough jams," Reds manager Dusty Baker said.
Mesoraco got the start behind the plate for Cincy after Baker said Ryan Hanigan was dealing with soreness, declining to elaborate. But Mesoraco has a back issue and appeared to be playing hurt, grounding out with runners on first and second to end the eighth.
"He's a tough guy," Baker said. "I don't know what we're going to do tomorrow. I don't know if he's going to be all right or not."
Texas Rangers Vs Baltimore Orioles
Wahington Nationals Vs Philadelphia Phillies
Pittsburgh Pirates Vs Oakland Athletics
Minnesota Twins Vs Tampa Bay Rays
Cincinnati Reds Vs Milwaukee Brewers
New York Mets Vs San Francisco Giants
Detroit Tigers Vs Cleveland Indians
Kansas City Royals Vs New York Yankees
Atlanta Braves Vs Miami Marlins
Chicago Cubs Vs Chicago White Sox
Arizona Diamondbacks Vs Los Angeles Dodgers
Colorado Rockies Vs San Diego Padres
Boston Red Sox
New York Yankees
Tampa Bay Rays
Toronto Blue Jays
New York Mets
Chicago White Sox
Kansas City Royals
St. Louis Cardinals
Los Angeles Angels
Los Angeles Dodgers
San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants
Standard YouTube License
- 0:48 Guerrero's cannon to homeby MLB Featured 1,225,671
- 15:25 Longest Home Runs in MLB History HDby Ryan Schwark476,835 views
- 4:21 Inspirational story about Reds' bat boy with down syndromeby FOX Sports51,951 views
- 2:05:08 1972 07 08 NBC GOW Cubs at Redsby ClassicMLB113,797 views
- 3:01 Hit de Carlos Gómez empata el juego en el 9no (30-11-11)by oesp1335,310 views
- 1:00:25 1965-08-19 Cincinnati Reds at Chicago Cubsby ClassicMLB1162,255 views
- 4:09 Funniest MLB Baseball Fails and Bloopers Ever!by ibzz107742,215 views
- 33:28 1984 Reds-Cubs Home Run-Foul Controversyby ncopie2006494 views
- 3:52 Rays pull off hidden-ball trick against the Dodgersby MLB260,111 views
- 7:27 MLB Top Plays 2013 Part 1by cesarb41393,823 views
- 1:55 Haiti v Honduras Resumenby CONCACAF32,272 views
- 7:27 MLB's Longest Home Runsby Ryan Schwark673,736 views
- 5:31 2012 Carlos Gomez Highlightsby Tyler Moua13,668 views
- 2:25 Votto's ejectionby MLBglobal55,830 views
- 1:58 Las mejores jugadas defensivas de los dominicanos en la temporada 2012 de Grandes Ligasby Víctor Ml. Báez S.92,759 views
- 3:30:07 1975 World Series, Game 6: Reds @ Red Soxby MLBClassics23,361 views
- 1:13 Elite ninja traingby HooverSP66,256 views
- 5:59 Benches clear after Gomez's solo home runby MLB151,647 views
- 1:49 Manny Ramirez BP at Dell Diamondby Jeff Power17,568 views
- 7:16 Doudmy Saint Hilaire Junior Season Highlight 2012-2013by Brian Holness1,178 views
- Loading more suggestions...