LFTR in 5 Minutes - THORIUM REMIX 2011
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 6, 2012
Help propagate LFTR, the Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactor! Thorium is readily available & can be turned into energy without generating transuranic wastes. Thorium's capacity as nuclear fuel was discovered during WW II, but ignored because it was unsuitable for making bombs. A liquid-fluoride thorium reactor (LFTR) is the optimal approach for harvesting energy from Thorium, and has the potential to solve today's energy/climate crisis. LFTR is a type of Thorium Molten Salt Reactor (Th-MSR). This video summarizes over 6 hours worth of thorium talks given by Kirk Sorensen and other thorium technologists.
THORIUM REMIX 2011 starts with a 5 minute TL;WL summary, to hold you over until you find your Ritalin.
To learn more about the Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactor visit: http://energyfromthorium.com/
See http://THORIUMREMIX.com/ for full list of multimedia source material.
Key YouTube video components:
Kirk Sorensen @ TEDxYYC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2vzot...
Kirk Sorensen @ Protospace - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVSmf_...
Kirk Sorensen @ MRU - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3rL08...
Kirk Sorensen @ TEAC3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-uxvS...
Kirk Sorensen @ Dr. Kiki Science Hour #84 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEpnpy...
After Fukushima: The Fear Factor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVQ0Nv...
Robert Hargraves @ TEAC3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOoBTu...
Alexander Cannara @ TEAC3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUVq81...
James Kennedy @ TEAC3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrDeB8...
Q: What is thorium and what makes it special?
A: Thorium is a naturally-occuring mineral that holds large amounts of releasable nuclear energy, similar to uranium. This nuclear energy can be released in a special nuclear reactor designed to use thorium. Thorium is special because it is easier to extract this energy completely than uranium due to some of the chemical and nuclear properties of thorium.
Q: What is a liquid-fluoride reactor?
A: A liquid-fluoride nuclear reactor is different than conventional nuclear reactors that use solid fuel elements. A liquid-fluoride reactor uses a solution of several fluoride salts, typically lithium fluoride, beryllium fluoride, and uranium tetrafluoride, as its basic nuclear fuel. The fluoride salts have a number of advantages over solid fuels. They are impervious to radiation damage, they can be chemically processed in the form that they are in, and they have a high capacity to hold thermal energy (heat). Additional nuclear fuel can be added or withdrawn from the salt solution during normal operation.
Q: Are the salts safe?
A: Very safe. Unlike other coolants considered for high-performance reactors (like liquid sodium) the salts will not react dangerously with air or water. This is because they are already in their most stable chemical form. Their properties do not change even under intense radiation, unlike all solid forms of nuclear fuel.
Q: What is nuclear waste and how does a liquid-fluoride reactor address this issue?
A: So-called "nuclear waste" or spent-nuclear fuel is produced in conventional (solid-core) nuclear reactors because they are unable to extract all of the nuclear energy from their fuel before they have to shutdown. LFTR addresses this issue by using a form of nuclear fuel (liquid-fluoride salts of thorium) that allow complete extraction of nuclear energy from the fuel.
Standard YouTube License
- 5:27 Car Runs For 100 Years Without Refueling - The Thorium Carby The Young Turks Featured 174,791
- 1:59:59 Cheap,abundant & very safe nuclear power.....Thoriumby Davy Ro6,768 views
- 1:07:16 Liquid Fluoride Reactors: A New Beginning for an Old Ideaby GoogleTechTalks30,287 views
- 52:47 Nuclear Waste Disposal Documentaryby SubscriptionFreeTV39,386 views
- 29:01 THE THORIUM PROBLEM - Danger of existing thorium regulation to U.S. manufacturing and energy sectorby gordonmcdowell81,649 views
- 6:39 Undercurrent - s04e08 - Thoriumby WestTV Perth9,842 views
- 46:07 Heavy Watergate: The War on Cold Fusionby David Brown134,387 views
- 59:50 Aim High: Using Thorium Energy to Address Environmental Probby GoogleTechTalks43,250 views
- 12 videos Play all LFTR IN 5 MINUTES AND THERE GOES MY WEEKEND
- 2:36:45 Kirk Sorensen @ PROTOSPACE on Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactorsby gordonmcdowell20,033 views
- 40:40 Is Nuclear Waste Really Waste?by GoogleTechTalks28,592 views
- 12:30 Thorium reactors and their feasibility: Thomas Drolet on Cambridge Houseby Cambridge House13,234 views
- 39:11 Kirk Sorensen - A Global Alternative (thorium energy via LFTR) @ TEAC4by gordonmcdowell13,542 views
- 1:10:15 The Place You Must Always Remember to Forget - Nuclear Waste the film.by MrJmccammon - High Country Cow Punk43,366 views
- 36:02 The Thorium Molten-Salt Reactor: Why Didn't This Happen (and why is now the right time?)by GoogleTechTalks103,462 views
- 1:05:22 Transform Your Mind, Change Your Brainby GoogleTechTalks583,982 views
- 28:20 The Area: A Journey through the Hanford Nuclear Reservationby HanfordSite47,009 views
- 1:22:09 Energy From Thorium: A Nuclear Waste Burning Liquid Salt Thorium Reactorby GoogleTechTalks99,671 views
- 14:01 Kirk Sorensen rides public transit to Geneva during interview @ ThEC13by gordonmcdowell917 views
- 1:37:13 Kirk Sorensen @ MRU on LFTR - Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactorsby gordonmcdowell35,658 views