How to Deal with a Bad Roommate
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 3, 2010
See what you can learn on the go with the new Howcast App for iPhone and iPad: http://bit.ly/11ZmFOu
Watch more How to Improve Your Communication Skills videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/520-How...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://bit.ly/uLaHRS
Sorry. Murder is not an option.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://bit.ly/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Dance & Entertainment Channel - http://bit.ly/vmB86i
Howcast Family Channel - http://bit.ly/16dz9oH
Howcast Food & Drink Channel - http://bit.ly/umBoJX
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://bit.ly/vbbNt3
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://bit.ly/vKjUjm
Howcast Tech Channel - http://bit.ly/rx9FwR
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://bit.ly/tYKKrk
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Step 1: Confront the problem
Let the person know you're unhappy. He may not be aware he's doing things that bug you.
Step 2: Get feedback
Ask him what you do that annoys him. This way, he won't feel he's being attacked.
Step 3: Negotiate
Negotiate. Tell him that if he stops blowing his nose in the dishtowels, you'll stop doing yoga in the nude.
Step 4: Set some rules
Decide on some house rules, like how loudly and when music can be played; how often friends can come over and/or sleep over; how clean the bathroom and kitchen should be, and how to handle offensive smells in those rooms.
Consider drawing up a 'roommate contract' that spells out the house rules. Many colleges now require them for dorm mates.
Step 5: Alter your schedule
Adjust your schedule to minimize the time you're together. For example, make plans to go out on evenings he's planning to kick back at home.
Step 6: Kill him with kindness
Kill him... with kindness. Bring home the cookies he likes; offer to wash the dishes when you know he's running late; make him chicken soup when he's sick. If you change your attitude, he might do the same.
Step 7: Terminate the agreement
Still not getting along? Take steps to terminate the arrangement, whether that means speaking to a Residence Assistant about getting a new roommate, or asking your landlord if you can break your lease.
Did You Know?
Gene Hackman and Dustin Hoffman were once roommates.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:04 How to Reduce Your Stressby Howcast80,191 views
- 2:01 How Not to Get Muggedby Howcast512,356 views
- 1:26 How to Stop Swearingby Howcast150,709 views
- 2:02 How to Make Tahiniby Howcast114,707 views
- 8:02 Bad Roommateby murphyface3,764 views
- 3:18 Activist's death angers Papuansby Al Jazeera English25,412 views
- 3:09 How to Live with a Roommateby smootheddie427,616 views
- 1:17 How to Determine Testosterone Levels by Looking at Your Ring Fingerby Howcast371,415 views
- 4:34 That Annoying Roommateby ConnorFranta596,718 views
- 8:20 The Bad Roommateby EdLippincott1,389 views
- 2:25 How to Pick a Lockby Howcast11,082,759 views
- 2:32 How to Improve Your Mental Healthby Howcast38,238 views
- 1:40 College Buzz: How To Avoid Bad Roommate Experiencesby CollegeBuzzTV4,069 views
- 5:17 Med Student Life vs Normal Person Lifeby rhofler397,114 views
- 7:24 Bad Roommateby TheAverageCaucasian1,277 views
- 6:24 5 Ways To Be A Bad Roommate - @Dormtainmentby DormtainmentTV776,888 views
- 11:12 ROOMMATE TAG!by JoeyGraceffa675,414 views
- 3:05 How to Treat Poison Ivyby Howcast242,243 views
- 1:36 How to Eat Antsby Howcast129,486 views
- 1:50 How to Survive a Shark Attackby Howcast390,079 views
- Loading more suggestions...