NASA | Greenland's Mega Canyon
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 29, 2013
Hidden for all of human history, a 460 mile long canyon has been discovered below Greenland's ice sheet. Using radar data from NASA's Operation IceBridge and other airborne campaigns, scientists led by a team from the University of Bristol found the canyon runs from near the center of the island northward to the fjord of the Petermann Glacier.
A large portion of the data was collected by IceBridge from 2009 through 2012. One of the mission's scientific instruments, the Multichannel Coherent Radar Depth Sounder, operated by the Center for the Remote Sensing of Ice Sheets at the University of Kansas, can see through vast layers of ice to measure its thickness and the shape of bedrock below.
For more information: http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/n...
For an HD download of this video: http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/goto?11354
To download more Operation IceBridge videos: http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/Gallery/OIB....
IceBridge, a six-year NASA mission, is the largest airborne survey of Earth's polar ice ever flown. It will yield an unprecedented three-dimensional view of Arctic and Antarctic ice sheets, ice shelves and sea ice. These flights will provide a yearly, multi-instrument look at the behavior of the rapidly changing features of the Greenland and Antarctic ice. Data collected during IceBridge will help scientists bridge the gap in polar observations between NASA's Ice, Cloud and Land Elevation Satellite (ICESat) -- in orbit since 2003 -- and ICESat-2, planned for late 2015. ICESat stopped collecting science data in 2009, making IceBridge critical for ensuring a continuous series of observations. IceBridge will use airborne instruments to map Arctic and Antarctic areas once a year. The first IceBridge flights were conducted in March/May 2009 over Greenland and in October/November 2009 over Antarctica. Other smaller airborne surveys around the world are also part of the IceBridge campaign.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:12 10 Amazing Facts About The Planet Marsby Alltime10s Featured 371,307
- 3:58 NASA | SDO: Three Years of Sun in Three Minutesby NASA Goddard2,454,369 views
- 4:17 NASA | Fiery Looping Rain on the Sunby NASA Goddard905,495 views
- 5:19 NASA | Fermi at Five Yearsby NASA Goddard73,761 views
- 2:12 NASA | Earth at Nightby NASA Goddard1,421,023 views
- 30:24 Greatest Mysteries of the Cold War: Nuclear Powered Subterranean Secret Base in Greenland (720p)by SUPERIOR HISTORY199,584 views
- 52:30 Under the Antarctic Ice - Beauty of The Natureby Civil Digital599,341 views
- 16:58 NASA WTF Did You Do To Piss Off E.T - STS107 I Want ANSWERS On This One 11-21-2013by DarkSkyWatcher74248,824 views
- 7:09 World's 10 Most Mysterious Pictures Ever Takenby Hybrid Librarian11,719,716 views
- 52:46 The Lost Vikingsby HerrNordkamp74,082 views
- 8:13 World's 10 Humans With Real Superpowersby Hybrid Librarian3,897,957 views
- 8:34 What Scientists Are Seeing Over Antarcticaby SpaceRip1,318,572 views
- 6:53 13000 YEAR OLD SATELLITE, THE FULL STORY OF THE BLACK KNIGHT UFO 2013 HDby TheLifebeyondearth1,153,466 views
- 4:17 TOP 10 PLACES YOU CAN'T VISITby DeereK132,051,725 views
- 3:19 Earth 100 Million Years From Nowby SpaceRip6,588,627 views
- 9:23 NASA Alert: America Blackout & Grid Shutdown 2013by Jason A373,115 views
- 2:38 Discovery Of a Duck And 2nd Lizard On Mars, NASA Curiosity, Aug 5, 2013by UFOvni2012218,607 views
- 28:33 Greenlandby mbrunnme57,351 views
- 7:00 Top 10 Most Paused Movie Momentsby WatchMojo.com8,616,242 views
- 35:57 NASA: The End Of Mankind "Leaked Document" 2013by ADGUKNEWS1,039,748 views
- Loading more suggestions...