Swimming with the Devil - see 1:10
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 16, 2010
Japanese Swinging Fire Festival
Typhoon in Taiwan
Zambian Bungee Jump Swing
The closest to death I've ever been - Devil's Pool at the top of Victoria Falls, Livingstone, Zambia. January 2, 2010.
The spot we're all sitting in is called Devil's Pool, hence the video name. To reach it, we first took a small boat to Livingstone island: a tiny island near the edge of Victoria Falls. We then swam across the top of the falls for about 20 minutes, stopping every few meters to swim directly up stream because the current would drag us closer to the edge as we tried to swim perpendicular.
The three black men (the two sitting on either side and the third holding my camera) were the guides we hired through our hotel (the Zambezi Sun) and some of the bravest souls I've ever met. I can't remember exactly how much but I think it was $50 each, and well worth the investment. There were other locals who would take us for less, but inexperienced guides get tourists killed, which had happened the week. The guides knew exactly where to swim across the top of the falls, stop to rest, and swim up stream. One of them even carried one of the girls on his back when she had a panic attack while swimming across the falls. Most importantly, as you can see in the video, a guide sat on each side of the group to make sure we didn't wander out of the safe area (well safe-ish). There's a small underwater rock ridge which we leaned against to stop us from spilling over.
That being said, fouling around will still get you killed, as I almost learned when I tried leaning over the falls to snap a self-portrait. I felt the water rush and my legs, which were planted to the floor, swing up with the current. I quickly decided I could live without a self-portrait. The third guide, the one who took the incredible footage with my camera, actually stood on the tiny rock ridge, leaning over to capture the precipitous drop and, yes, the double rainbow. Inconceivably stunning! He could have died with the smallest slip! And these guys do this every day. They were all tipped well.
TJ from Toronto, CAN
Standard YouTube License
- 1:15 Vacation turns fatalby timesnowonlineFeatured 535,123
- 0:21 Salto Biergesby Encierro 4,881,446 views
- 1:25 The moment a brave elephant mum shakes a vicious crocodile off her trunkby suthichai yoon 23,484,988 views
- 0:41 Woman walked through a ghost in Japanby jelygh0st 24,379,864 views
- 0:25 Would you believe this?by rafterII 44,927,843 views
- 2:57 Ironman 2 - Suitcase armor in slowmotionby elandresito 2,066,618 views
- 1:50 Last Supper Reveal!!!!!!! WATCH!!!by initialiam lordt 4,233,750 views
- 1:48 Lu Hao World's Fattest Kid Ever!by randomnewstube 24,051,322 views
- 0:30 Mysterious Water Creature - Florida 2013by crazyanimalnews 21,763,773 views
- 2:55 Girls defy death at Victoria Falls! Devil's Pool, Livingstone Island, Zambiaby samiam2310 3,513,863 views
- 0:28 Dam Slidingby PainTrainProd 13,654,724 views
- 8:35 11-Year-Old Girl Shatters Climbing Recordsby THNKR 834,086 views
- 5:58 SPEARFISHING IN THE SOUTH ATLANTIC HDby AndreaDeepBlue 69,966 views
- 1:10 HD 1946 atomic bomb test operation crossroads Able shot in colorby azer3196 533,931 views
- 1:05 A Story Without Wordsby steffen909 3,589,351 views
- 1:14 Unexplained Photosby ChelseaLOLish 7,847,067 views
- 2:12 16 Years Old Lebron James! (Pre - Jr. Year News Segment)by PFlaw317 4,310,048 views
- 1:28 Thats one way to put a ship in the water...by thevidsthatarerandom 12,223,181 views
- 0:28 Newswoman bending over in a black leather skirtby PathofIce 8,390,616 views
- 0:55 Boat launch gone wrongby Huny Pink 5,956,009 views
- Loading more suggestions...