Swimming with the Devil - see 1:10
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 16, 2010
Zambian Bungee Jump Swing
Typhoon in Taiwan
Japanese Swinging Fire Festival
The closest to death I've ever been - Devil's Pool at the top of Victoria Falls, Livingstone, Zambia. January 2, 2010.
The spot we're all sitting in is called Devil's Pool, hence the video name. To reach it, we first took a small boat to Livingstone island: a tiny island near the edge of Victoria Falls. We then swam across the top of the falls for about 20 minutes, stopping every few meters to swim directly up stream because the current would drag us closer to the edge as we tried to swim perpendicular.
The three black men (the two sitting on either side and the third holding my camera) were the guides we hired through our hotel (the Zambezi Sun) and some of the bravest souls I've ever met. I can't remember exactly how much but I think it was $50 each, and well worth the investment. There were other locals who would take us for less, but inexperienced guides get tourists killed, which had happened the week. The guides knew exactly where to swim across the top of the falls, stop to rest, and swim up stream. One of them even carried one of the girls on his back when she had a panic attack while swimming across the falls. Most importantly, as you can see in the video, a guide sat on each side of the group to make sure we didn't wander out of the safe area (well safe-ish). There's a small underwater rock ridge which we leaned against to stop us from spilling over.
That being said, fouling around will still get you killed, as I almost learned when I tried leaning over the falls to snap a self-portrait. I felt the water rush and my legs, which were planted to the floor, swing up with the current. I quickly decided I could live without a self-portrait. The third guide, the one who took the incredible footage with my camera, actually stood on the tiny rock ridge, leaning over to capture the precipitous drop and, yes, the double rainbow. Inconceivably stunning! He could have died with the smallest slip! And these guys do this every day. They were all tipped well.
TJ from Toronto, CAN
Standard YouTube License
- 56:32 The BEST of Discovery's Dinosaursby DiscoveryDinosaurs Featured 4,466,614
- 5:24 Plane crashes compilation #7by TheHelicopterCrash1144,784 views
- 18:50 The Ultimate Fails Compilation ✔by FunnyvideosArchive94,701,651 views
- 2:55 Girls defy death at Victoria Falls! Devil's Pool, Livingstone Island, Zambiaby samiam23105,036,357 views
- 1:15 Vacation turns fatalby TIMES NOW1,185,578 views
- 2:02 World's most amazing photos - Part 1by ThePhotoCollector11,936,444 views
- 1:01 king cobra live attackby JIJO G MODI4,019,163 views
- 1:50 Last Supper Reveal!!!!!!! WATCH!!!by initialiam lordt5,848,553 views
- 1:34 SHIPS IN STORM - INCREDIBLE VIDEOby SEAMANpl10,651,170 views
- 4:56 saved from drowningby HDBroadcaster Dotcom32,224 views
- 2:01 10 Abandoned Places Explainedby Alltime10s6,531,544 views
- 0:44 Taylor Wardrobe Malfunction on Taylor Swift's Concert HQ 15/07/11by tslove1318,324,666 views
- 2:17 Top 10 Places You Aren't Allowed To Visitby Alltime10s8,390,528 views
- 0:30 Mysterious Water Creature - Florida - 2013by crazyanimalnews30,877,062 views
- 1:36 Crocodile attacks manby strohlman5,533,838 views
- 1:10 HD 1946 atomic bomb test operation crossroads Able shot in colorby nuclear tests channel2,734,274 views
- 1:34 How to open a can without a can openerby Kevin1083,809,608 views
- 1:59 New dramatic video: Tsunami wave spills over seawall, smashes boats, carsby RT12,071,098 views
- 0:49 'Ghostly shadow' filmed on live TVby ITN24,747,557 views
- 0:49 Eruption after person falls in lava lake of volcano (test with organic waste, garbage, trash)by Photovolcanica8,637,849 views
- Loading more suggestions...