Fox's John Stossel Blasts Gov't Flood Insurance In Heated Segment: 'You Paid For A New Basement'
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Nov 1, 2012
On Thursday's Fox & Friends, guest John Stossel and interim host Peter Johnson, Jr. found themselves arguing over a government program subsidizing flood insurance, which the show's chyron described as "welfare for repairs."
Everyone else on the curvy couch, Stossel explained, basically paid for the new basement on his beachfront property. "You paid for a new basement there, thank you," he said. "I never invited you there. But you paid for it anyway. It went out again; you paid again. The whole house went; you covered the house. This is a program that encourages relatively affluent people to build in danger."
"Well, what's the evidence on that, John?" asked Johnson. "You love dumping on this program. There's a lot of people helped by this program."
"No, wait a second," he continued, as Stossel attempted to speak over him. "...That are not on the beach, that are not on river fronts, that are blocks in, that never anticipated that the ocean would come, that the bay would come. They paid their premiums. They're not rich people like you were. if you're so rich, why don't you give the money back?"
"Well, I probably should and I won't rip you off again," Stossel responded. "I also take Medicare and I probably shouldn't take that either."
"Ok, so you take Medicare, tight?" asked Johnson. "You take deductions on your taxes. [...] The point is, you're condemning people that are taking this that have paid their premiums that are not rich folks!"
"Why was the federal government selling it?" Stossel asked. "I blame the politicians. We don't have special car insurance for Lindsay Lohan. The people four blocks in don't get--"
"So the people who paid the premium, should they not take the money?" asked Johnson.
"I paid the premium, I'm going to take the money. Of course you're going to take the money," Stossel answered.
"The problem is," said Steve Doocy, "and Peter was talking about this earlier — we're talking about the FEMA program that insures people in areas that would get flooded out — if there wasn't that kind of insurance--"
"—There would be private insurance," Stossel said.
"You think government doesn't have a role in anything, right?" Johnson asked him.
"No," said Stossel. "They have a role in keeping us safe."
Standard YouTube License
- 1:17:48 Atlas Shrugged and the Struggle for Liberty: hosted by John Stosselby The Atlas Society 8,216 views
- 2:01:02 The Real Debateby freemusicentdotcom 324 views
- 42:03 John Stossel's Illegal Everythingby VP attnm 348,472 views
- 41:15 John Stossel - America In Decline: Myth & Reality on The Economy, Military, & Culture 6/7/12by selfownership1 6,577 views
- 40:06 John Stossel: Battle for the Futureby SuperiorHistory 16,065 views
- 10:00 John Stossel - Gun Laws That Kill.mp4by zack9912000 6,654 views
- 7:27 Ann Coulter on War on Drugs & Libertarian Illegal Substance Policies with Stosselby BrianGrecoTV 815 views
- 42:10 John Stossel - Top 10 Politicians' Promises Gone Wrongby ЯΞ√ΩLUT↑☼N 72,855 views
- 3:32 Ron Paul: FEMA Causes More Harm than Good - FBN's Stossel 11/02/2012by Eduardo89rp 8,716 views
- 10:16 John Stossel ~ Obama Supporters Asked What His Win Means For "FREEDOM"?by RonPaulCC2012 1,558 views
- 2:55 Stossel: Federal Government Shouldn't Be Involved in Disaster Relief - Varney & Co. 11/01/2012by Eduardo89rp 793 views
- 11:15 John Stossel - The Fiscal Cliffby LibertyPen 14,280 views
- 10:34 pt 1 John Stossel freeloaders 3-25-11by mohawkandtaino 67,673 views
- 5:15 John Stossel - Shadowbossesby LibertyPen 3,259 views
- 3:46 Libertarian Stossel Hypocrisyby MaoistRebelNews2 1,349 views
- 4:31 John Stossel on Fox & Friends: Should The Federal Government Subsidize Flood Insurance?by selfownership1 273 views
- 3:22 John Stossel poses as homeless manby SizzlechestXXX 708 views
- 5:30 John Stossel: Breaking Down Obama's Propagandaby selfownership1 1,545 views
- 41:07 John Stossel ~ What Ever Happened To Grit?by RonPaulCC2012 1,072 views
- 13:02 John Stossel - 99% Economic Illiteracyby LibertyPen 63,436 views
- Loading more suggestions...