Summer Disobedience School (#OWSDS)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 25, 2012
OWS Summer Disobedience School: Curriculum "Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty" -Henry David Thoreau
What is capitalism? Where is capitalism? Who and what sustains it? How can we starve its roots, which feed off our relations to one another to the detriment of humanity? What alternatives can we create together? These are a few of the questions we will explore in OWS Summer Disobedience School (OWSDS), a twelve-week training program that will empower us to map, target, and disrupt sites of capitalist injustice across the city with a wide range of creative tactics accessible to people will all levels of experience.
OWSDS is informed by the following pedagogical principles:
-We learn by questioning, sharing, and doing
-We learn from and with each other
-We learn with our hearts, minds, and bodies
-Our education will create space for action, empowerment, and imagination
-Our growth will allow us to shed layer after layer of fear and complacency
-Our experience together will enable us to occupy Wall Street and reclaim our power as people.
OWSDS will be divided into four three-week quarters, each of which will take a city park as a staging-ground for actions against nearby corporate targets: Bryant Park, Central Park, Washington Square Park, and Liberty Plaza. Each week, we will develop the group affinities, technical skill-sets and operatational roles necessary for successful actions, such as target-scouting, march-pacing, research & messaging, mic-checking, banner-deployment, communications coordination, media documentation, and police liaison. We will also hone and expand the tactical vocabulary used during #SpringTraining. Empahasis will be placed on infiltrations, interruptions, slowdowns, and blockades undertaken by small action-teams rather than unified mass demonstrations.
A key priority in the OWSDS curriculum is the empowerment of new people to step up in planning and executing actions; to this end, OWSDS will involve a mentoring system in which those with more experience can "buddy up" with less experienced individuals to lend moral support and technical guidance. This "training of trainers" process can in turn be replicated and innovated by increasing numbers of people across time and space. Students will be encouraged to develop personal escalation calendars to track their own progress over the course of Summer School in advance of Graduation Day: September 17th, the one-year anniversary of OWS.
As the reign of the 1% collapses, it desperately deploys the police, the law, and the media to silence us and keep us in our places. In solidarity with students from Chile to Greece to Montreal to the Bronx, the school motto of OWSDS proclaims:
Educate to liberate! The crisis is our classroom! Now is the teachable moment!
Standard YouTube License
- 1:48:29 Peter Schiff at Occupy Wall Street: Full Version, Almost 2 Hours Long!by ReasonTVFeatured 132,981
- 5:50 The Tea Party vs. Occupy Wall Streetby encounterbooks 81,540 views
- 9:27 Valedictorian Speaks Out Against Schoolingby Erica Goldson 826,110 views
- 2:22 Super Manif de casseroles dans villerayby MrAlexDelcourt 67,603 views
- 15:00 Public "Education" has become indoctrination and distractionby Ry Dawson 282,125 views
- 8:41 33 San Diego High School Students Suspended Over A Twerking Videoby Lovelyti 371,397 views
- 25:23 Inside Story Americas - Is the Occupy movement being hijacked?by AlJazeeraEnglish 3,234 views
- 5:40 D17: Take Back the Commons | Occupy Wall Street Videoby OccupyTVNY 34,346 views
- 13:43 Graceful Disobedience - Week 10 - I Made Americaby imadeamerica 3,545 views
- 9:51 How to start a revolution: Learn from Iceland!by THEDUMBPLANET 138,715 views
- 3:00 GhostQuestby UnoriginalPony 838 views
- 1:05:53 Disrupting the 1% or Inconveniencing the 99%: #OWSDS May 26, 2012by WaylonLenk 53 views
- 8:26 Consensus (Direct Democracy @ Occupy Wall Street)by meerkatmedia 119,666 views
- 1:16:50 School Improvement Implementation Planning and Monitoring Toolsby NHSCenterMedia 1,226 views
- 5:04 #Occupy Bat Signal for the 99% | Occupy Wall Street Videoby OccupyTVNY 178,092 views
- 9:04 MSNBC on NYPD Police Brutality during Occupy Wall Street Lawrence O'donnell with "The Last Word"by bYarlboro 604,768 views
- 4:01 A Day in the Life of an Occupy Wall St. Participantby mattwillwork 830,146 views
- 10:07 The Common Core State Standardsby MCPSTV 4,703 views
- 3:52 How NOT to handle discipline in the classroomby Barbara Kingsley 1,340 views
- 12:57 Trance-Formation (HD) - 1/7by AOD ScaReCRoW 76,756 views
- Loading more suggestions...