NATO forces rescue four hostages during a raid in Afghanistan 4/6/12
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 4, 2012
NATO spokesman comments on the raid that killed seven insurgents and freed four hostages in Afghanistan 4/6/12
NATO rescues doctors kidnapped by Taliban in 'extraordinarily brave' operation
A NATO rescue team dropped by helicopter in remote mountains of northern Afghanistan early on Saturday freed four aid workers, including two doctors, who had been seized by the Taliban last month, the alliance said.
The aid workers, employed by Swiss-based Medair, were en route to flood-stricken parts of Badakhshan province when they were kidnapped.
NATO forces entered the area under cover of darkness and after confirming the presence of the hostages, carried out a successful raid to free them, Lieutenant Commander Brian Badura, a spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) told Reuters.
The rescue team suffered no casualties in the operation, Badura said. The kidnappers were armed with heavy machine guns, AK-47 assault rifles, and rocket-propelled grenades.
Shamsul Rahman Shams, the deputy governor of Badakhshan, said five men who were holding the aid workers were killed in the operation.
"It was an extraordinarily brave, breathtaking even, operation that our troops had to carry out," U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron said, according to BBC News. "I pay tribute to their skill and dedication."
'Swift and brutal end'
He added anyone who kidnapped British citizens could expect "a swift and brutal end."
A statement from ISAF identified the hostage-takers as members of the Taliban, who have stepped up violence across the country as foreign combat forces prepare to leave by the end of 2014.
"This morning's mission, conducted by coalition forces, exemplifies our collective and unwavering commitment to defeat the Taliban," General John Allen, commander of NATO forces in Afghanistan said.
Seven killed in attack on NATO base in Afghanistan
The alliance identified the two foreigners freed as Helen Johnston and Moragwe Oirere, who along with two Afghans worked for Medair, a humanitarian non-governmental organization based near Lausanne, Switzerland.
The aid workers had been travelling by donkey to visit a clinic in the remote Yawan district, where the road had been destroyed by floods caused by melting snow after one of the worst Afghan winters in decades.
Afghan forces have taken over security in the provincial capital Faizabad and some parts of Badakhshan ahead of the Western drawdown.
Afghan authorities originally said five people had been kidnapped, but it later emerged that one of the party managed to escape from the hostage takers.
The kidnapping of foreigners has become relatively common in parts of Afghanistan since U.S-backed Afghan forces toppled the Taliban government in 2001, heralding a 11-year anti-insurgent war.
In 2010, 10 foreign medical workers, including six Americans, were killed in Badakhshan in an attack blamed on insurgents.
Other attacks have been blamed on criminal groups looking for ransom. Police in Badakhshan earlier said the kidnappers in this case were demanding money, and they appeared to be members of a criminal gang.
Standard YouTube License
- 33:33 Secret 5000 Year Old Flying Machine Discovery with Steve Quayleby DiscloseTruthTVFeatured 2,046,568
- 55:19 Behind Taliban Linesby Najibullah Quraishi 25,421 views
- 33:00 This Is What Winning Looks Like (Part 3/3)by vice 77,436 views
- 6:45 British Army Soldiers And U.S. Marines Advise Afghan National Army During Operation Atash-Qalbby alliefox25 8,834 views
- 0:28 How UK, US forces rescued captured British aid workerby NMANewsDirect 585 views
- 29:02 This Is What Winning Looks Like (Part 1/3)by vice 176,937 views
- 14:30 The Battle for Bomb Alley (Afghanistan War) 1/2by wardocumentaryfilms 532,561 views
- 5:07 SAS Hostage Rescueby silverfox2358 49,303 views
- 2:34 Hostage Rescue Afghanistan June/2012by QU3STION5 2,480 views
- 1:58 Taliban column attacked by US Apache helicopter in Afghanistan 2009by tvlies2U 63,249 views
- 7:21 US Marines In Afghanistan - Real Combat Fighting Talibans Armored Assaultby SergeantJohnny 110,630 views
- 0:53 Deadly Message To Militantsby John digispyeu 733 views
- 11:23 FIREFIGHT ON HELMET CAM IN AFGHANISTAN - PART 1 | FUNKER530by FUNKER530 4,959,005 views
- 2:39 U.S. soldier killed in daring Afghan rescue mission identified as SEAL Team 6 member from Penn.by SLIM BOOGIE 1,287 views
- 2:17 Navy Seal dies in rescue mission of Dr. Dilip Joseph in Afghanistanby Laydeedicy 173 views
- 3:14 NATO in Afghanistan - Ghazni Governor Visits Embattled Farmersby NATOCOMMUNITY 3,850 views
- 5:53 Faiz Abad - Badakhshan Airport میدان هوائی فیض آباد در بدخشانby Thunder004 888 views
- 8:11 U.S Marines Patrol in Afghanistan - Combat Footageby vor033 654,142 views
- 27:39 This Is What Winning Looks Like (Part 2/3)by vice 97,236 views
- 7:36 BHARAT VERMA ZALIL HOGAYA (JHOTTA KUTTA)by Kisspak Smith 220 views
- Loading more suggestions...