Understanding SOPA/PIPA & Why You Should Be Concerned
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 18, 2012
Most everyone has noticed the swath of websites that were blacked out in protest of the pending PIPA / SOPA legislation in congress, but not as many people understand exactly why those bills are such a problem.
This short documentary explores PIPA and SOPA, how the bills work, who's behind them, and why all internet users have reason to be concerned.
The fight to prevent online censorship in the U.S. is far from over. While SOPA's future seems increasingly bleak, PIPA has not been pulled from consideration in the senate, where it will be up for a vote later this month.
It is important to understand that PIPA has the same fundamental problems of SOPA. It is NOT a compromise bill; at this point, it is little more than a legislative strategy to abandon the SOPA branding in favor of PIPA.
Both bills contain vague language and reach too broadly, threatening free speech and innovation on the web. Both institute a private right of action for companies to block access to infringing content without due process. Both contain an immunity clause to protect these companies from legal consequence if they make mistakes. And both set the wrong global precedent by encouraging other countries to censor the internet based on their own domestic laws.
While President Obama is opposed to the DNS-blocked mechanisms proposed in the bills, the language still exists. As well, Obama has not come against the legislation itself, nor has he signaled his intention to veto the legislation if it passes. These bills don't need to be fixed, they need to be scrapped.
Note this correction: David Sohn from the Center for Democracy & Technology is incorrectly shown as David Cohn.
Produced and edited by Chase Whiteside (interviews), Erick Stoll (camera), and Liz Cambron.
Graphic design by Chase Whiteside.
Motion design by Ashley Walton (ashleywalton.com).
Music from Nicolas Jaar's brilliant debut album Space is Only Noise.
David Sohn and the Center For Democracy & Technology, Chris Riley and Free Press, Ashley Walton, Steve Bognar, John Aravosis, Jay Marose, Walter Herrera
Our films are free to watch, but costly to produce.
Every contribution helps to keep us online.
Standard YouTube License
- 9:51 Glenn Beck's "Restoring Honor" Rally - Interview B-Rollby NewLeftMediaFeatured 128,961
- 12:35 Occupy America / #OccupyAmericaby NewLeftMedia 40,802 views
- 9:02 Union Protests in Wisconsin & Ohioby NewLeftMedia 95,685 views
- 5:51 Chase Whiteside - It Gets Betterby NewLeftMedia 67,960 views
- 8:22 SARAH PALIN BOOK SIGNING - Interviews with Supportersby NewLeftMedia 1,938,224 views
- PROTECT IP Act 7,979 videos12
- 10:18 Stop Online Piracy Act (Scary Facts)by TheYoungTurks 151,751 views
- 4:00 Hitler reacts to SOPA.by FightingInternet 732,327 views
- 6:35 4/21/13. From SOPA to CISPA! ACLU Claims Detroit Homeless Targeted By Police!by DEMCAD 4,397 views
- 3:33 STOP ACTA SOPA - Poland First To Fight [HQ]by Anonops Poland 117,714 views
- 7:14 Explicacion de la ley SOPA. (Ley CISPA peor que la SOPA averiguen)by palencia33 7,190,559 views
- 1:26 SKYRIM EPIC RAP - Dan Bullby Dan Bull 7,987,339 views
- 15:25 Nerd³'s Three Free Games Friday - 30by OfficialNerdCubed 202,813 views
- 2:31 Book Trailer for "Hacking Politics" - How We Defeated SOPA & PIPAby David Moon 2,444 views
- 14:47 Yes! ACTA can be STOPPED, like SOPA! I Know How! Be a HERO SHARE this ACTA Videoby JeepersMedia 1,423,715 views
- 4:20 SOPA ACTA Song Cancion de la SOPA.wmvby Gojan444 7,470 views
- 24:09 InTheLittleCubed: The Fourth Feeble Attempt - Day 8by OfficialNerdCubed 84,202 views
- 3:31 CALL OF JUAREZ GUNSLINGER RAP | Dan Bullby Dan Bull 57,439 views
- 3:22 BIOSHOCK INFINITE RAP | Dan Bullby Dan Bull 591,432 views
- 2:43 LEAGUE OF LEGENDS RAP - Dan Bullby Dan Bull 998,625 views
- 18:39 Nerd³ Plays... Blackby OfficialNerdCubed 224,462 views
- Loading more suggestions...