Understanding SOPA/PIPA & Why You Should Be Concerned
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 18, 2012
Most everyone has noticed the swath of websites that were blacked out in protest of the pending PIPA / SOPA legislation in congress, but not as many people understand exactly why those bills are such a problem.
This short documentary explores PIPA and SOPA, how the bills work, who's behind them, and why all internet users have reason to be concerned.
The fight to prevent online censorship in the U.S. is far from over. While SOPA's future seems increasingly bleak, PIPA has not been pulled from consideration in the senate, where it will be up for a vote later this month.
It is important to understand that PIPA has the same fundamental problems of SOPA. It is NOT a compromise bill; at this point, it is little more than a legislative strategy to abandon the SOPA branding in favor of PIPA.
Both bills contain vague language and reach too broadly, threatening free speech and innovation on the web. Both institute a private right of action for companies to block access to infringing content without due process. Both contain an immunity clause to protect these companies from legal consequence if they make mistakes. And both set the wrong global precedent by encouraging other countries to censor the internet based on their own domestic laws.
While President Obama is opposed to the DNS-blocked mechanisms proposed in the bills, the language still exists. As well, Obama has not come against the legislation itself, nor has he signaled his intention to veto the legislation if it passes. These bills don't need to be fixed, they need to be scrapped.
Note this correction: David Sohn from the Center for Democracy & Technology is incorrectly shown as David Cohn.
Produced and edited by Chase Whiteside (interviews), Erick Stoll (camera), and Liz Cambron.
Graphic design by Chase Whiteside.
Motion design by Ashley Walton (ashleywalton.com).
Music from Nicolas Jaar's brilliant debut album Space is Only Noise.
David Sohn and the Center For Democracy & Technology, Chris Riley and Free Press, Ashley Walton, Steve Bognar, John Aravosis, Jay Marose, Walter Herrera
Our films are free to watch, but costly to produce.
Every contribution helps to keep us online.
Standard YouTube License
- 9:51 Glenn Beck's "Restoring Honor" Rally - Interview B-Rollby NewLeftMediaFeatured 128,961
- 1:02:38 Chase Whiteside debates James O'Keefe at Temple Universityby NewLeftMedia 19,157 views
- 10:35 Rally to Restore Sanity - Interviews with Participantsby NewLeftMedia 163,110 views
- 8:22 SARAH PALIN BOOK SIGNING - Interviews with Supportersby NewLeftMedia 1,938,224 views
- 18:59 SOPA Debate: Wikipedia's Jimmy Wales in Discussion with Copyright Alliance's Sandra Aistarsby democracynow 18,442 views
- PROTECT IP Act 7,979 videos12
- 5:10 Anonymous - Message to the American Peopleby anonymous04210 9,605,805 views
- 12:35 Occupy America / #OccupyAmericaby NewLeftMedia 40,802 views
- 8:11 9.12 DC TEA PARTY - March Footage with Interviewsby NewLeftMedia 1,407,620 views
- 3:16 Anonymous: SOPA passed. We are displeased.by AnonymousNoShit 1,513,067 views
- 8:02 NO SOPA: 'American Censorship Day'by TheAlyonaShow 148,570 views
- 0:36 MSNBC Supports SOPA by running pro-SOPA/PIPA ad during day of blackout!!!by BoycottMSNBC 45,857 views
- 15:22 SOPA/PIPA, Internet 2 and The Trojan Horse of Control 1/3by TheAlexJonesChannel 18,743 views
- 5:51 Chase Whiteside - It Gets Betterby NewLeftMedia 67,960 views
- 5:48 SOPA and PIPA: How We Got Hereby acurtis 124,737 views
- 12:30 SOPA Delayed - The PIPA Bill Is Nextby AlphaOmegaSin 23,833 views
- 2:39 SOPA Losing Support Quicklyby TheAlyonaShow 194,817 views
- 9:02 Union Protests in Wisconsin & Ohioby NewLeftMedia 95,685 views
- 6:32 What Is ACTA ?by 1TheRevolutionIsNow 1,043,332 views
- 0:35 SOPA & PIPA message from Capt. Jean-Luc Picardby DarkIceGB 59,476 views
- 14:59 MegaUploads Dangerous Secrets affect YOU, Mike Mozart JeepersMedia ACTA / PIPA / SOPAby thesmashtvnetwork 21,987 views