Sea Turtle Finds Lost Camera
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 28, 2010
I found a camera and Ikelite waterproof housing washed ashore in Key West, FL. Pictures dated from November, 2009 indicate it floated all the way from Aruba over a period of 6 months. Two months in to the journey, this sea turtle came across it and probably tried to eat it, turning the camera on and recording himself. The owner has been located in Aruba and confirmed he lost it while diving off Aruba on November 11, 2009. The last thing the owner did was take a video, so the camera was in video mode. This incident with the turtle ocurred on January 15, 2010. The camera washed ashore in Key West on May 16, 2010 covered in growth.
Based on time, I estimate this video to have occurred in the vicinity of Honduras. As far as we know, and having confirmed the date of loss from the owner, this video was made with absolutely no human assistance.
The camera is a Nikon Coolpix L18. The waterproof housing is an Ikelite.
Battery Life - The camera was powered by 2 AA batteries. When the owner lost the camera, it was either turned off, or the camera went in to battery saver mode and turned itself off. The camera stayed off until the turtle happened upon it 2 months later. Makes sense. The batteries would still be good, as apparently they were. Otherwise, this video would not exist.
This is not the best video in the world, but what do you want from a turtle? This shortened video ends at the point the turtle and the camera separated. The video ran for another 15 minutes, looking straight up at the sky with water washing over it. The full 20 min video ends, I assume, because the batteries died. There was still room on the card.
Special thanks to the good people of Scubaboard.com, Cruisecritic.com, and Aruba.com for helping me identify the owner. I could not have done it without their help.
The camera has been sent back to the owner in Aruba.
Anyone interested in reading the case as it was solved, read here. This thread explains how we found the camera to be from Aruba and how we found the owner.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:16 Tortoise helps friend who's flipped overby radicalgeeteeFeatured 1,149,696
- 5:48 450 pound Black Marlin eaten by sharkby dizzy77 24,765,131 views
- 3:21 octopus steals my video camera and swims off with it (while it's Recording)by chimpsnatch 5,495,975 views
- 1:39 Camera Lost in 100 mph Car Chaseby CopsCarsandCrashes 161,131 views
- 2:06 strange creatures and huge animalsby michaelbossino 19,070,938 views
- 12 videos Play all Loggerhead Sea Turtle SC Nest Watchby CoastalDigital
- 1:02 Astronaut Loses Camera in Space !by gdavisloop 601,044 views
- 2:30 Giant 'Sea Serpent' Caught on Cameraby DiscoveryNetworks 915,747 views
- 3:05 River Monsters: Turtle Strikes Like a Snakeby Animal Planet 2,133,178 views
- 4:05 Tortoise chasing a tomatoby hakugan 1,854,482 views
- 0:50 sea turtle laying 209 eggs on bird islandby ray conroy 1,619,444 views
- 47:20 Inside Nature's Giants : The Leatherback Turtleby ronkx 175,961 views
- 0:28 HD Sea Turtle swimming on reefby ScubaManiac007 182,402 views
- 2:35 Killer Whale vs. Sea Lionsby NationalGeographic 11,623,674 views
- 3:00:57 Giant Sea Turtles in Coral Reef (3 hours)by MoneySavingVideos 37,720 views
- 1:03 Holloway Suspect Says She Died on Aruban Beachby AssociatedPress 34,955 views
- ProjectRant.com 154 videos17K
- 6:03 SS Oranjestad WWII part 3by Dick de Bruin 12,254 views
- 5:38 The Turtlemanby KYAfield 4,605,282 views
- 2:16 The killer tortoiseby salvelio meyer 6,516,998 views
- 2:05 Giant turtles vs vultures - BBC wildlifeby BBCWorldwide 1,034,839 views
- 4:08 Monster Fish of the Amazonby NationalGeographic 2,850,465 views
- Loading more suggestions...