President Obama Affirms His Support for Same Sex Marriage (Official) [HD]
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 9, 2012
President Obama today announced that he now supports same-sex marriage, reversing his longstanding opposition amid growing pressure from the Democratic base and even his own vice president.
In an interview with ABC News' Robin Roberts, the president described his thought process as an "evolution" that led him to this decision, based on conversations with his staff members, openly gay and lesbian service members, and his wife and daughters.
The president stressed that this is a personal position, and that he still supports the concept of states' deciding the issue on their own. But he said he's confident that more Americans will grow comfortable with gays and lesbians getting married, citing his own daughters' comfort with the concept.
The announcement completes a turnabout for the president, who has opposed gay marriage throughout his career in national politics. In 1996, as a state Senate candidate, he indicated support for gay marriage in a questionnaire, but Obama aides later disavowed it and said it did not reflect the candidate's position.
In 2004, as a candidate for the U.S. Senate, he cited his own religion in framing his views: "I'm a Christian. I do believe that tradition and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman."
He maintained that position through his 2008 presidential campaign, and through his term as president, until today.
As president in 2010, Obama told ABC News' Jake Tapper that his feelings about gay marriage were "constantly evolving. I struggle with this." A year later, the president told ABC's George Stephanopoulos, "I'm still working on it."
"I probably won't make news right now, George," Obama said in October 2011. "But I think that there's no doubt that as I see friends, families, children of gay couples who are thriving, you know, that has an impact on how I think about these issues."
Obama's decision has political connotations for the fall. The issue divides elements of the Democratic base, with liberals and gay-rights groups eager to see the president go further, but with gay marriage far less popular among African-American voters.
Just yesterday, in North Carolina, voters overwhelmingly approved a constitutional ban on gay marriage. Obama carried North Carolina in 2008, and its status as a 2012 battleground state was guaranteed by Democrats' decision to hold their convention in Charlotte this summer.
Obama's likely Republican opponent, Mitt Romney, opposes gay marriage, and fought his state's highest court, as governor, when Massachusetts became the first state to legalize gay marriage in 2004. Romney said on the campaign trail Monday that he continues to oppose gay marriage.
"My view is that marriage is a relationship between a man and a woman," Romney said. "That's the position I've had for some time, and I don't intend to make any adjustments at this point. ... Or ever, by the way."
Obama backs gay marriage
In an exclusive interview, the president says same-sex couples "should be able to go ahead and get married."
Standard YouTube License
- 10:00 BROKE BACK OBAMA NATIONS SODOM IN AMERICA HAVING A GAY OLD TIME= HELL FIRE.by BROTHERDARYL6,066 views
- 8:43 Ann Coulter BOOED during debate after stupidly criticizing Gay Marriage...by Manny Gonzalez-Reyna55,697 views
- 32:28 Alan Keyes at the Rally for Common Senseby Darin RebootCongress13,019 views
- 16:52 2004 DemConvention Speeches: Barack Obamaby DemConvention315,048 views
- 10:41 Farrakhan responds to Pres. Obama endorsing Gay marriageby Ahmad770291,501 views
- 7:24 Black Pastors furious with Obama over gay marriage; Pastors rip Obama over gay marriageby LSUDVM24,980 views
- 6:59 Ex-Gay Obama Had Homosexual Affair With Pastorby billdemo2338,910 views
- 7:26 Barack Obama Gay Sex Scandal New Evidenceby billdemo2386,706 views
- 4:41 Barack Obama calls out Hillary Clinton on ambiguityby ythom123474,988 views
- 4:29 Pedestrian Question - For or Against Same-Sex Marriage? PART 1by Jimmy Kimmel Live269,784 views
- 18:48 C-SPAN: Barack Obama Speech at 2004 DNC Conventionby C-SPAN1,497,279 views
- 8:37 Real Time Bill Maher - clip on gay marriage (May 7/09)by cybermorph236,563 views
- 7:15 Amazing Gay Marriage Speech Goes Viral (Maureen Walsh)by The Young Turks180,861 views
- 13:17 MITT ROMNEY vs PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA, JESUS AND THE POORby mccainisthroughX53,397 views
- 4:38 Straight Men and Gay Men Respond To Gay Men Marrying Other Gay Men and Not Straight Womenby Scotch Tape404,769 views
- 5:16 Obamas speech for same-sex marriage.flvby Cady Carmichael9,711 views
- 4:22 Plaza Hotel Hosts First Gay Weddingby On Top Magazine242,597 views
- 2:14 Ron Paul Calls CNN Reporter Stupid and Walks Offby TheLiberalPacifist636,655 views
- 11:16 homophobic man on This Morning "should gay marriage be taught in schools" - 17th January 2013by spikeyroberto314,566 views
- 3:29 Ten GOP WTF Debate Momentsby hmasterpiece85267,225 views
- Loading more suggestions...