An Evening with Marissa Mayer
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 30, 2012
Marissa Mayer is the Vice President of Local, Maps, and Location Services at Google. She oversees product management, engineering, design and strategy for the company's suite of local and geographical products, including Google Maps, Google Earth, Zagat, Street View, and local search, for desktop and mobile. She also curates the Google Doodle program, celebrating special events on Google's homepage around the world.
During her 12 years at Google, Marissa has held numerous positions, including engineer, designer, product manager, and executive, and has launched over 100 well-known features and products. Prior to her current role, she played an instrumental role in Google search, leading the product management efforts for more than 10 years, a period during which Google Search grew from a few hundred thousand to well over a billion searches per day. Marissa led the development of some of Google's most successful services including image, book and product search, toolbar, and iGoogle, and defined such pivotal products as Google News and Gmail. She is listed as an inventor on several patents in artificial intelligence and interface design.
Joining as the company's first female engineer in 1999, Marissa has played an important role in developing Google's culture. Her contributions have included overseeing the look-and-feel of the company's iconic homepage and founding the Associate Product Manager program, which has hired over 300 of the company's future leaders.
She graduated with honors from Stanford University with a BS in Symbolic Systems and a MS in Computer Science. For both degrees, she specialized in artificial intelligence. While at Stanford, she taught computer programming to more than 3000 students and received the Centennial Teaching and Forsythe Awards for her contributions to undergraduate education. In 2008, the Illinois Institute of Technology awarded her an honorary doctorate of engineering.
It has been quite a journey so far for Marissa, from her beginnings in Wisconsin, to the National Youth Science Camp, on to Stanford University and then landing at Google. Join NPR Correspondent Laura Sydell for a wide-ranging conversation about the educational choices Marissa made, her early role models and mentors, her work at Google, and her continuing role as a mentor -- to the next generation of computer scientists as well as women entrepreneurs like Tanzania's Susan Mashibe, TanJet Founder and Executive Director.
Standard YouTube License
- 31:42 Listen..This Will Change Your Life - The Strangest Secretby PSNy2kUK Featured 1,732,299
- 1:20:15 Lean In: Women, Work and the Will to Lead. Author Sheryl Sandberg in Conversation with Eric Schmidtby ComputerHistory32,528 views
- 1:15:18 An Evening with Google's Executive Chairman Eric Schmidtby ComputerHistory23,819 views
- 53:14 An Evening with Marissa Mayer and NPR's Laura Sydellby ComputerHistory13,090 views
- 1:33:54 The Facebook Effect with Mark Zuckerbergby ComputerHistory250,874 views
- 25:12 Marissa Mayer's Ingredients For Success | Disrupt SF 2013by TechCrunch35,278 views
- 59:13 Steve Jobs - Billion Dollar Hippy (Complete)by mrwhateverfor58,249 views
- 52:29 Stanford's Sapolsky On Depression in U.S. (Full Lecture)by StanfordUniversity502,126 views
- 1:28:30 How Your Brain Can Turn Anxiety into Calmnessby University of California Television (UCTV)602,961 views
- 52:28 Mathematics Gives You Wingsby StanfordUniversity515,557 views
- 49:46 @Google Talks presents Martha Stewart in Conversation with Marissa Mayerby Talks at Google259,838 views
- 30:58 Davos 2013 - An Insight, An Idea with Marissa Mayerby World Economic Forum51,784 views
- 22:10 Steve Jobs' 2005 Stanford Commencement Address (with intro by President John Hennessy)by StanfordUniversity1,765,181 views
- 59:13 BBC Documentary: Steve Jobs - Billion Dollar Hippyby Sandeep Desai839,084 views
- 10:35 Marissa Mayer on growing up in Wisconsin, getting hired at Google, and the origins of Adsenseby 92nd Street Y30,636 views
- 23:00 Watch vintage Steve Jobs footage on Appleby ComputerHistory36,872 views
- 16:54 Marissa Mayer's IIT commencement addressby Google71,626 views
- 4:23 Marissa Mayer: I Was Gender Blind | 92Y Talksby 92nd Street Y5,381 views
- 1:10:52 David Eckoff interview with Marissa Mayer of Googleby David Eckoff6,160 views
- 1:11:33 Musicians@Google Presents: Google Goes Gagaby Talks at Google2,221,073 views
- Loading more suggestions...