sea turtle hatchlings on their epic journey to the sea
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 28, 2010
it is rare to glimpse a clutch of sea turtle hatchlings hatching during daylight hours for their mad dash to the sea.
usually they hatch in pre-dawn hours [2 or 3 am], to give them more time to get past the challenging obstacles such as driftwood and human garbage blocking their trajectory to the sea,
pre-dawn treks also minimize the dangers of natural predators such as vultures, sea gulls, raccoons, possums, even coyotes.
what a delight for these rainsong volunteers to be witness to this epic natural adventure !
these are OLIVE RIDLEY sea turtle hatchlings, hatching from one of PRETOMA's hatcheries.
RAINSONG works very closely with PRETOMA in sea turtle protection activities.
we cooperate together to protect the sea turtles, dolphins, whales, and all other sealife in our region of costa rica.
approximately ONLY ONE IN ONE THOUSAND olive ridley hatchlings survive to reach reproduction age, 8 years old.
for leatherbacks the ratio is much much less...
ONE IN TEN THOUSAND LEATHERBACK HATCHLINGS survive to reach reproduction age of 15 years old.
in costa rica the human nestrobbing of sea turtle eggs is 100% on most of both of cr's coastlines.
there are only a very few beaches that are patrolled and protected by NGO organizations like RAINSONG & PRETOMA.
sea turtle conservationists endure many dangers in their efforts to save the sea turtles that nest on costa rican beaches, crossing rivers at night, and often engaging in constructive dialogue with nestrobbers.
environmental criminals can become very violent and threatening when approached even in a passive/ resistance mode.
RAINSONG continues an active CONSERVATION EDUCATION program in the local schools and organizes community outreaches [ town meetings] to educate the older generations regarding new stricter laws protecting sea turtles, and their nests.
sea turtle population reduction on 99% of costa rica's beaches is a frightening 90% .
THAT IS EXTINCTION LEVEL.
SEA TURTLES IN COSTA RICA WILL BE GONE VERY SOON IF WE DON'T DO SOMETHING TO SAVE THEM RIGHT NOW !!!
contact me if you would like to help us in our efforts to save the sea turtles:
love & light, and keep up the fight !
mary at rainsong
Standard YouTube License
- 14:06 Turtle Hatch #27 @ 37th ave Oak Islandby Chris Ove195,143 views
- 9:38 Unbelievable... Did he just say Double Headed?by prehistoricpetstv297,117 views
- 47:20 Inside Nature's Giants : The Leatherback Turtleby ronkx259,323 views
- 8:22 Baby Turtle Hatchlings Being Dug Up Liveby johnwotawa316,469 views
- 12:37 Jonathan Bird's Blue World: Sea Turtlesby BlueWorldTV34,924 views
- 3:02 New Born, Baby Sea Turtles Race to the Ocean!by KyleGoesGlobal153,846 views
- 12:29 Dota 2 Fails of the Week - Ep. 20 (20 fails)by DotaCinema805,088 views
- 3:00 Leonard and Lulaby spinningfancy630,296 views
- 12:23 Part One - Egg Removal from an Eastern Long Neck Turtle.wmvby ReptileDoctor22,404 views
- 11:57 Battlefield 3 Hunger Gamesby blackmesatech137,229 views
- 8:11 Leopard Tortoise Eggs-Part One - Digging Up the Eggsby tortoiseyard13,734 views
- 6:59 Swimming with a Baja Whale Sharkby Bernadette Jarrard37,574 views
- 5:04 Sea Turtles Micro Documentaryby DiveAroundTube15,624 views
- 4:33 Helping baby sea turtles into the oceanby halfthrottle14,392 views
- 4:36 Sea Turtle Swimmingby Filippo Armonio30,046 views
- 1:12 Turtle Eating Jelly Fishby FreeOptions96,503 views
- 4:00 The circle of life of a sea turtleby seaturtlefilms18,238 views
- 9:59 NIGGA TURTLES EPISODES 1,2 and 3by agentjibjab30,915 views
- 2:35 Leatherback Turtle - laying eggs and return to the sea - Rincon, PRby B. Ruce15,993 views
- 7:55 Leopard Tortoise Eggs-Part Three - Preparing the Eggs for the Incubatorby tortoiseyard8,062 views
- Loading more suggestions...